Can I use both "/" and " / " as a tag value separator?
After spending oodles of time on the Sisyphean effort to Finally Tag All My Music Properly Once And For All <TM> it appears that I have shot myself in the foot big time. I have managed to use tags like

MusicBrainz Album Type = album/compilation/dj-mix

rather than

MusicBrainz Album Type = album / compilation / dj-mix

In other words, I haven't used " / " as a separator (i.e. a space-slash-space sequence as per the wiki) but "/", i.e. a slash without whitespace on either side. My bad. As a result the incorrectly tagged albums do not appear in the right categories.

The item separator can be overridden in advancedsettings.xml:

Code:
<musiclibrary>
  <itemseparator> / </itemseparator>
<musiclibrary>

So presumably I can replace the itemseparator with a slash instead of whitespace-slash-whitespace. However, I'm sure there are properly tagged entries as well (i.e. using the whitespace-slash-whitespace sequence) so that may affect those tracks. I seem to remember having noticed that a leading or trailing whitespace character in a genre, album type etc. is interpreted by Kodi as a separate genre (i.e. "disco " is not the same as "disco"). So simply messing around with the itemseparator entry in advancedsettings.xml is likely to break things even more.

Is there a way for my to unshoot my foot and get Kodi to use both "/" and " / " as a separator, or am I going to have to go through 14,000+ files all over again to correct my stuff-ups?

(Update: a Musicbrainz Picard lookup produces multiple tags in yet a different format: album; compilation; dj-mix which is inconsistent with what the wiki says Kodi uses. And indeed it doesn't on my side. What's with that?)

// FvW
Hi frankvw,
which software do you use for tagging your audiofiles? As far as i know it depends on the software which format you have to use.
I use Mp3tag, which works (for me) in a perfect way. This software for example need seperators like this:
album\\compilation\\dj-mix
So you see, different tagging-programs need different formats. But when a file is tagged correctly, every audio-player should recognize the content correct.
I also use mp3tag.  The \\ is an internal mp3tag string used in its logic.  What actually gets written to a tag depends on the tag format.  For example, for FLAC/Xiph tags mp3tag will write separate tags based on the \\.  But for mp3 2.4 tags it will write a "null" into the single tag as a separator.

Mp3 2.3 tags can be an issue, why I use mp3tag to add APE tags and Kodi advanced setting to prefer APE over MP3 in mp3 file format.

The Kodi " / " is mainly intended for use in nfo files.

scott s.
If you change the separator using AS.xml, it will only affect stuff scanned into the music library after you change it.  It won't make any difference to stuff already scanned in - even if you re-scan it.

It does however change it in the skin.

Before changing it to ~ (tilde)

After changing the itemseparator in AS.xml

Learning Linux the hard way !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can I use both "/" and " / " as a tag value separator?0