Solved Playback Failed in Portable Mode
Everytime I start Kodi in Portable Mode I get this error message.
Playback Failed - One or more items failed to play. Check the log for more information about this message.
I can't see any error though.

https://paste.kodi.tv/oguroyetux.kodi
Somehow you're trying to play an item named "/wait". Unless the command comes from one of the installed add-ons.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hi CrystalP,
I don't know why this is happening, and, If the developers there are using KODI in portable mode, then in theory the problem should repeat there. It only happens in portable mode. 
Trying to set up the Kodi build from scratch again recently, There was too many problems setting up in Portable mode, which I explained in another post. So, My solution was to take my already working Kodi Build, and copy the folders to a moveable drive and running it in portable mode.
This worked fine, but as soon as i run it in Portable mode, the Playback Failed message appears on startup again. It's not there in Normal mode, only portable, and no other changes are made.
(2024-04-03, 02:11)OzDrDj Wrote: My solution was to take my already working Kodi Build, and copy the folders to a moveable drive and running it in portable mode.
This worked fine, but
You've got quite a few add-ons & scripts (some of which are beta), at this time I'm unsure if you have an operational Kodi in any form? Portable mode is solid and works well on all of my equipment, and most user will concur that portable mode is the way we like Kodi. I think the proper Portable mode (wiki) installation would be plain jane, no add-ons or extras and ensure your installation is working. Once that has been accomplished start loading in your add-ons & scripts one at a time checking the full operation, ensure exit & start-up are functional.

I see the same issues CrystalP discovered which appears to be some mangled code or an incompatible extra.

CVideoPlayer::OpenInputStream - error opening [/wait]
Loading settings for /wait

Suggest: Once you have a stable portable... copy it to another location, and then copy the old userdata folder and some of the add-on folders to see if you can get back what you had.
LMAO, Hi PatK. 
I get it now, although I don't know why It is doing what it is doing, but I bet you will have the answer now.
As I said before, I am running Kodi in portable mode on a Video Game Cabinet build. The Cabinets Menu System is ATARASHII Future Universe, if you know about that, I'm sure you've at least heard of it.
Anyway, the Build uses a batch file to call Kodi, and has the qualifier /wait which keeps the batch window open until Kodi closes.

@echo off
cd Kodi
call kodi.exe -p /wait
cd..
exit

So I guess, the /wait command which is working is being transfered to Kodi and it is trying to play /wait on startup.

I don't know if there is a way around this. I can happily make a startup video called "wait.mp4" but obviously can't make "/wait.mp4" and even then, where would it go.
Ah yes, the batch file.

I used to use this Vb-script, but do it all manually now.

Code:
Dim WshShell
Dim scv
Set svc = GetObject("winmgmts:root\cimv2")
Set sh = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Const DELAY = 1

'switch to TV only
'execCMD = """C:\Windows\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe""/external"
'Wshshell.Run execCMD, 2, False

'Extend display
execCMD = """C:\Windows\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe""/extend"
Wshshell.Run execCMD, 2, False

'Launch Xbmc
WScript.Sleep 10000
WshShell.CurrentDirectory = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\"
execCMD = """C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\Kodi.exe"""
Wshshell.Run execCMD, 3, True

'switch to LCD only
execCMD = """C:\Windows\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe""/internal"
Wshshell.Run execCMD, 2, False

Do you have the same issue without the batch file? atm I would not label this as a bug in Kodi.
Hi Pat,
just had to put my Dos Brain back in gear. Stupid Windows makes you forget that everything used to be done in Dos. A quick change to the batch file and all is well.

echo off
cls
cd Kodi
start /wait Kodi.exe -p
cd..

Thanks CrystalP and PatK for helping me spot the problem.
Cheers
Oz
Kodi command line params:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...Parser.cpp
could maybe be better documented, but it does appear anything that's not a - or -- switch is interpreted as a file to play.

scott s.
Thread marked solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playback Failed in Portable Mode0