First Time User Sound Problem
Hi, This is my first time checking out XBMC Live. I am getting to the console, and found one of my songs but when i go to play it i get nothing no sound at all, i've tried playing a video got the video but no sound. Not sure if i'm not configuring something or what the problem might be.

I have a Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboad and am using a Asus XONAR D2 PCI Sound Card optical output

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Graeme
graeme86 Wrote:Hi, This is my first time checking out XBMC Live. I am getting to the console, and found one of my songs but when i go to play it i get nothing no sound at all, i've tried playing a video got the video but no sound. Not sure if i'm not configuring something or what the problem might be.

I have a Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboad and am using a Asus XONAR D2 PCI Sound Card optical output

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Graeme

Not sure if we are having the same problem, but I booted up then hit ctl-alt-f2 and login xbmc/xbmc and run alsamixer from the command line make sure your iec958 Ouput is unmuted and make sure your pcm output is unmuted and the volume is all the way up. FYI - you cannot turn up the volume on your iec958 channels they just need to be unmuted.

Arrow keys move you through the mixer choices, M mutes or unmutes, arrow up or down raises or lowers the volume and esc gets you out of alsamixer then just hit ctl-alt-f7 to get back to XBMC.

You can actually have the song playing while you do this as well, so once you find the right control you can hear your music.

Dave
rodercot Wrote:booted up then hit ctl-alt-f2 and login xbmc/xbmc and run alsamixer from the command line make sure your iec958 Ouput is unmuted and make sure your pcm output is unmuted and the volume is all the way up. FYI - you cannot turn up the volume on your iec958 channels they just need to be unmuted.

Arrow keys move you through the mixer choices, M mutes or unmutes, arrow up or down raises or lowers the volume and esc gets you out of alsamixer then just hit ctl-alt-f7 to get back to XBMC.

You can actually have the song playing while you do this as well, so once you find the right control you can hear your music.

Dave

Thank you, Thank you Audio finally fixedNod
Glad I could help out. As for the first post here one thing I guess I should have said before we send you out to a command prompt is to make sure that you have set your audio properties to digital out.

This is under the settings - settings page.

rgds,

Dave
Thanks that got the audio working... sort of. i can now hear the audio for videos that i am playing, but when i try to play an mp3 it just sits at 00:00 / 5:05 and doesn't seem to work on any mp3 i try.
graeme86 Wrote:Thanks that got the audio working... sort of. i can now hear the audio for videos that i am playing, but when i try to play an mp3 it just sits at 00:00 / 5:05 and doesn't seem to work on any mp3 i try.

In your audio settings tab. Where you set the digital out

does it say

iec958

I changed this in my setup and the same problem happened to me but I changed them back and all was fine.

If your card has more than one iec958 option in the alsa mixer and you turn them all on you can run into this problem as well. You only need to unmute the one iec958 output channel.

By default on a install alsa mutes these settings.

Dave

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First Time User Sound Problem0