Bug Kodi 21 "watched" checkmark disappeared from TV Shows
Exclamation 
Hi!

As the title says, I am encountering the following issue.

After my Android TV auto-upgraded the Kodi app to 21 Omega, I have noticed that the checkmarks for the TV Shows and Seasons which are complete have... completely disappeared.

Checkmarks are still there in the movie section, but nowhere in the TV shows section.

How do I bring them back?

It is terribly confusing, as I often go into a TV Show thinking there's a new episode I have not seen and I realize the checkmark was missing due to this issue.

Also, this is the second time an update severely changes something without asking - something similar happened to me with Kodi 19 as well, mentioned here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=361861. Can it not be done in such a manner that in-place configurations and functionalities are not changed when upgrading?
No changes were made that would affect that and no reports of it happening with this release either so I suspect it's something with your setup.

Which skin is this exactly and can you actually mark show as watched?
It's the default Estuary skin and I can mark them as watched, but the checkmark is absent from the picture. I will attach photos as soon as I am able.

Due to this issue, I am afraid to upgrade on my PC and Laptop - I do not wish to lose this functionality.

Let me get back with the pictures for a clearer idea.
Does this happen on all view types? I've just doubled checked them all and they either display the watched tick or the watched count.
(2024-05-08, 10:12)Hitcher Wrote: Does this happen on all view types? I've just doubled checked them all and they either display the watched tick or the watched count.

I just checked this. It happens on Wall, Poster, Shift, and InfoWall. It seems it appears on the rest, but that's unfortunately not convenient to me, as I use Wall exclusively.

Example:

Kodi 20:

Kodi 21:
Ah I forgot when the new video version and extras feature got added we had to rethink when and where each icon got displayed. As a result the watched status was moved to the right so the left could display whether it was a collection, has versions, or has extras. The watched status is now displayed on the right and for TV shows this is the number of watched episodes compared to the total number of episodes. So in your case 12/12 means it's all watched.
(2024-05-08, 12:01)Hitcher Wrote: Ah I forgot when the new video version and extras feature got added we had to rethink when and where each icon got displayed. As a result the watched status was moved to the right so the left could display whether it was a collection, has versions, or has extras. The watched status is now displayed on the right and for TV shows this is the number of watched episodes compared to the total number of episodes. So in your case 12/12 means it's all watched.

But can I do something to bring back the tick/checkmark? It's annoying that it's missing and it leads to confusion. Can it be added back?
I wonder if this would be a better compromise:

Show the tick instead of the count when a show/season is completing watched.

@jjd-uk @jurialmunkey thoughts?
(2024-05-08, 12:25)Hitcher Wrote: I wonder if this would be a better compromise:
[...]
Show the tick instead of the count when a show is completing watched.
Truth be told, yes. That is much better! 

The idea is that the/my human brain understands the show is complete when it sees the tick. It doesn't have to compute anything else.

In the first phase, right now, when I don't see the tick I assume I have a new episode and I go in the TV Show to watch it.

In the second phase, when/if I will get used to not looking to the left, but looking to the right, when the brain sees 12/12 or any form of a complete count, it will have to run the first number by the second number before assessing that the show is complete or not. So it would be a QoL improvement to have the tick instead of the count, because this way we don't have to compare the two counts and it will be faster to establish that the show is complete.

So yeah, to conclude, I believe that would be a nice compromise if possible. It might take a little time to get used to the tick appearing to the right instead of the left, but it's much better than just the counts, as with just the counts the complete series are not distinguished from the incomplete ones at first glance.

Giving a clear distinction is necessary, in my opinion.

Thank you so much!!
I'll wait for feedback from more devs before making a PR but if you want to try it out for yourself here's the updated Variables.xml found in the Kodi/addons/skin.estuary/xml/ folder.

Variables.xml
Thank you so much! I will try to see how I can add it to the TV app.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 21 "watched" checkmark disappeared from TV Shows0