Guest - Testers are needed for the reworked CDateTime core component. See... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=378981 (September 29) x
v21 AVI files - sound, no picture with KODI v21 nightly 20240701
edit:  whoops...  I meant v21 (Omega), not v20 (Matrix).  Content corrected.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All,

As I stated a different thread on a v21 Wake On LAN (WOL) issue, it looks like a resolution has been made on that and moved into the v21 nightly builds.

With that being said, I had to move the MySQL deployment to the v21 nightly.  (And it looked like a good time to rebuild my NAS, etc., etc...  you know how that is.)

And with a large rebuild like that (50TB drive capacity rebuild takes some time), I have not yet had the opportunity to test WOL.

But I did uncover what may be a bug playing AVI files.   

(sidenote:  Yes, I know AVI container is old, and other formats have become more popular, but there is a LOT of AVI content on my drives so please indulge me.)

WHAT HAPPENS:  When I select a file, it starts to play, but all that plays is Audio.  The screen goes black and stays black until the file ends or is stopped.  This occurs with all AVI files that I attempted to play.

Of course, here is the log file:  https://paste.kodi.tv/wazeboratu.kodi 

Please let me know if this is temporary (as you are making changes to a player), self-inflicted (I have a setting wrong somewhere), or permanent (Kodi is abandoning AVI files).

Thanks!
You are using the bleeding edge Kodi (21.0 (21.0.1) Git:20240701-cadac06c3a) Omega Development Build.
While I have no issues with .avi Kodi (21.0 (21.0.0) Git:20240406-60c4500054) Omega Recommended.

I just installed this exact Kodi (21.0 (21.0.1) Git:20240701-cadac06c3a) version you are using an played .avi files without issue.
(2024-07-05, 22:01)zebraitis Wrote: (Kodi is abandoning AVI files)
No, and I see no tickets in the tracker yet to indicate others. This issue smacks of the gfx engine software and there's not much in the log that indicates what you are seeing. Drop to windowed mode and see if the window is still black. Let's eliminate the network, make a local source and put an .avi in it, and play it and let's have a log of that.
Pat - Thanks for the reply.

I will do your suggestion in the morning.  But before I do, I have one question:  Did you install that bleeding edge copy OVER your existing KODI?

I ask because I know that AVI files played in the v21... but this is a fresh load of only (21.0.1) Git:20240701-cadac06c3a ... and that could be a difference.

Look forward to detailed results tomorrow.
Update:  Now that it is morning, I decided to take a different approach:

As I use MySQL for centralized DB, first I checked to see what DB versions were used by v21.0 generally available (GA) compared to v21 development build.    ( @ https://kodi.wiki/view/Databases )    As they were the same, I knew that I could drop back without having to rescan the library.  So I did.

Uninstalled v21 Git:20240701-cadac06c3a, installed v21 GA. 

Et voilà!  AVI's play without problem.

While I would like to take advantage of the updated WOL in the development build, the tradeoff of not having AVI's play is not worth the disruption.    For now I will just leave the main home NAS server running, and wait for a future v21.1 release.
(2024-07-06, 04:12)zebraitis Wrote: Did you install that bleeding edge copy OVER your existing KODI?
I did, it's a portable installation and my custom splash screen disappeared... but I had a back-up of it Smile
(2024-07-06, 16:53)zebraitis Wrote: Et voilà!  AVI's play without problem.
OK, we're done here for now. Let's hope the next iteration meets the needs of your set-up. In the mean time, I'll hold the bleeding edge config for now with an eye for this issue.
is 20240701-cadac06c3a the oldest that gives a problem?
When you installed it, did you accept the bundled runtime install?
Some problems appeared after June 21st due to a new requirement for a higher runtime version, this could be a different manifestation of it.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(2024-07-06, 18:30)CrystalP Wrote: is 20240701-cadac06c3a the oldest that gives a problem?
When you installed it, did you accept the bundled runtime install?
Some problems appeared after June 21st due to a new requirement for a higher runtime version, this could be a different manifestation of it.

Hey CrystalP.  

After the WOL thing, I tried a few different development builds (v21 and v22)...  it was all over the place and my HeidiSQL showed that I had all types of DB versions running in MariaDB (not only because I was trying different development builds, but also because I use 6 profiles). 

However, when I decided to rebuild my Win11 server box into a NAS, I chose to do a Win11 refresh of that box before I started, wiping everything out (OS, data, HeidiSQL/MariaDB, etc).

I specifically chose the latest v21 development build at that time which was "KodiSetup-20240701-cadac06c-Omega-x64" for the endpoints.

Every endpoint device had KODI uninstalled and reloaded and roaming/kodi was deleted as part of the uninstall of KODI before reload. 

And yes, when I load a KODI build, I always leave the bundled runtime checked.  Because I know that different programs often need different versions of runtime.  

SO...  I can't say if I ran into the AVI black screen on any other versions of KODI, as I really only found that after the rebuild on that specific development build.  I have not tested others to see if I could duplicate as I know that falling back to GA would be the quickest path to resolution.

Hope that helped.
There are no errors in the log but please try with render method software.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AVI files - sound, no picture with KODI v21 nightly 202407010