Going to AND resuming from S3
When addressing the high CPU usage, I found that when I invoked S3 from whitin XBMC and subsequently resuming, the CPU usage dropped to an average of 1% (see http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=228...tcount=105)

This seems the best workaround at the moment, but XBMC is having major difficulties going to sleep

When addressing the high CPU usage, I found out that when I invoked S3 from within XBMC and subsequently resuming, the CPU usage dropped to an average of 1% (see http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=228...tcount=105)

This seems the best workaround at the moment, but XBMC is having major difficulties going to sleep.

When setting the "Sleep Idle Time out" to a given value and the "Default shutdown mode" to Suspend, nothing happens…… Only when invoked by the power button from the MCE remote and going thru the shutdown screen, XBMC will suspend the system.

When resuming from standby, I notice the before mentioned CPU usage, but I need enter a different screen from XBMC because the home screen is heavily garbled. Going back to the home screen results a normal screen.

When invoking S3 from outside XBMC, the system goes to sleep but XBMC remains minimized when resuming. This seems to be a known problem and can be overcome using IRSS.

Now, for some questions......
  • Does the power scheme of Windows needs to be on some specific setting to have XBMC going to sleep using the idle timer?
  • Aside from the CPU usage, has this S3 issue been replicable?
  • Is the method to invoke a sleep method different from XBMC and Windows
  • Has the problem been assigned (does it need a trac)
1) can't answer so any info is appreciate. I'm still unsure if the sleep idle time out is some leftover from the xbox and if it's implemented in win32

2) not yet tested

3) nope. XBMC uses the standard windows functions to invoke the sleep mode

4) I don't think so and yes it might be worth a trac
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I also have troubles with S3 XBMC icw IRSS.

So i wrote 2 scripts:

1: kill xbmc and stop IRSS service, and then put system to standby
2: on startup, using MCEstandby, call second script to start IRSS and XBMC

these all work with MCE remote and work reliably

will post these asap
Thanx idioteque,

I've already used (other) scripts to bypass the S3 issues. But other people certainly can use your scripts.

@WiSo .....and other Devs. When trying to replicate, also please have a look at the CPU usage when resuming from S3 as described in http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=105. It does wonders!!!
Ticket #5108 created
Dragon can you post your script?

I also posted my issue Here

XBMC will not sleep when running, no matter what options are checked..

Do you think it has to do with IRSS?

Also - is there a way to wake the PC (while xbmc is running) while in sleep mode.. i tried to hit buttons on my remote but nada..
DragonFly Wrote:@WiSo .....and other Devs. When trying to replicate, also please have a look at the CPU usage when resuming from S3 as described in http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=105. It does wonders!!!

We certainly do this but I leave this to tslayer and elupus because I'm of not much help there.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I personally needed a different approach.......

Because XBMC is still having issues and (TV)plugins/script are not yet working on the windows platform, I use MediaPortal on the same machine to record TV, make use of GPU assisted video playback etc.

Because of this I (or rather the wife and kids) need to switch easily between the to apps. But because of the High CPU usage in XBMC and also MediaPortal not being that CPU friendly, I cannot run them together and simply use ALT-TAB (invoked by a remote)

Enter PowerPro. I can do a million things and one them is having a scripting language. So when the machine powers up it only starts a Bar (black screen, 4 Large viewable buttons) and a Script.

The bar shows 4 buttons:
  • Start Media Portal
  • Start XBMC
  • Make Media Portal default (writes "1" to HTPC.ini)
  • Make XBMC default (writes "0" to HTPC.ini)

The PowerPro start script look like this:

Code:
fp = file.open("C:\Windows\HTPC.ini","r")
str = fp.ReadString

If (str==1) do
   if (anywindow("=Mediaportal")) do
      quit
    endif
    C:\MediaPortal\Mediaportal.exe

ElseIf (str==2)
   if (anywindow("=XBMC")) do
      quit
   endif
   C:\XBMC\XBMC.exe -fs

ElseIf (str==0)
   if (anywindow("=XBMC")) or (anywindow("=Mediaportal")) do
      quit
   endif
   Bar Show Choice
   Bar Keys Choice
Endif

It basically looks in HTPC.ini for a value. If 0 show the choice bar, if 1 start MediaPortal, if 2 start XBMC. Furthermore it looks first if the chosen window insn't already present.

XBMC needs IRSS to have it controlled by a MCR remote. Translator.exe (auto start in windows) is the part of IRSS that can assign event to a button.

Translator.xml (in appdata dir)

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Configuration xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <ServerHost>localhost</ServerHost>
  <ProcessPriority>No Change</ProcessPriority>
  <HideTrayIcon>false</HideTrayIcon>
  <SystemWideMappings>
    <ButtonMapping KeyCode="31730" Description="" Command="Run: C:\Programs\PowerPro\scripts\Start.powerpro|||Normal|False|True|False|False" />
  </SystemWideMappings>
  <Programs />
  <Events>
    <MappedEvent EventType="PC_Suspend" Command="Keys: {END}" />
    <MappedEvent EventType="PC_Resume" Command="Run: C:\XBMC\XBMC.exe|C:\XBMC|-fs|Normal|False|True|False|True" />
  </Events>
</Configuration>

It has three events:
  • The keycode for the MCE Remote's Green button "31730" which starts the PowerPro script.
  • A "PC_Suspend" event which sends "END" to XBMC, which gracefully quits XBMC (instead of killing XBMC's task) and subsequently puts the system to S3 sleep mode. This would have no effect on MediaPortal
  • A "PC_Resume" event which starts XBMC in full screen and by the time you monitor or TV is woken, XBMC would already be there. (have to write/adjust the PowerPro script a little not to interfere with MediaPortal)

This approach is a little bit different because of the need for MediaPortal, but can be adapted for single XBMC use.

Regarding inability to wake your computer, read one of my earlier post: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=36518. This way you can easily wake/sleep your PC using your remote!!Smile
.....can't edit posts.....

Make XBMC default (writes "0" to HTPC.ini) -> "0" should be "2"

Addendum: There is a global hotkey assigned (for the remote) in Powerpro which writes the value "0" in HTPC.ini, thus displaying the Choice Bar again if one of the Apps was made default.
thanks buddy..

just to clarify.. you will need translator setup in order to wake\standby the PC, when working with xbmc?
Yes and No. If the powerscheme in windows for wakeup events for your remote is working (see post), a power button press should wake and sleep your PC. Unfortunately XBMC itself does not wake/sleep properly so you'll need a wake/sleep event from the Translator to get things right.
I'd also like to add to this that after resuming from S3 on my system, XBMC no longer recognizes my MCE remote. XBMC requires to be restarted to recognize it again.
Known problem. That's why scripts are necessary (initiated by whatever program you like) to gracefully end XBMC before the system goes to sleep and to start it again when the system resumes from standby.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Going to AND resuming from S30