Slow SMB Browsing: "ERROR: Getting extended attributes for the share"
SMB browsing is extremely slow on one of my shares. Looked at the debug log and it looks like the delay is while trying to get extended attributes for each file in the folder.

There is a statement in the log like this for each file:
ERROR: Getting extended attributes for the share: 'smb://<SHARE>/<filename>' unix_err:'3d' error: 'No data available'

Each error takes about a second, which adds up to a few minutes to load the folder.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
bump. Someone must know what causes this error...
Log (post to pastebin) and description of the server?
Thanks for the reply. I'm running XBMC on a Niveus Rainer machine with an Intel DG9650T motherboard, on-board audio, Nvidia gpu, running Ubuntu Hardy Heron. The files are on a single drive NAS enclosure (Galaxy MetalGear 3507LR). Here's the log.

Not sure if this helps, but I'm also running XBMC on an AppleTV and an Xbox. Browsing of this share works perfectly on the Xbox, but the AppleTV is also slow. I could look at those versions if that helps, but don't have time right now.

Cheers.
Any guidance would be very much appreciated. Does the log help at all?
shooks Wrote:Any guidance would be very much appreciated. Does the log help at all?

Is the slow share the only one you tried on that NAS?

Is anything logged in /var/log/messages, or dmesg, when you access this share?
I don't see anything in either of those logs. It's a single drive NAS so that's the only share I have on it. I've moved the content off the drive and am going to format it to see if that changes anything.
I can confirm this problem, I've noticed something weird as well in my setup (NAS + 2 XBMC clients, Linux & AppleTV). I have two XBMC sources, one for Movies and one for TV shows. In the NAS both are inside the same share in two directories.

Everything I play from the TV shows start playing immediately but everything from the Movies source takes like 20 seconds to start. I found this very weird so I started to make some tests to find out the differences beetwen the two sources. I realized the Movies source is slow because I have 300 movies there, this means, 300 files for the avis, 300 for the subtitles and another 300 for XMLs files with meta info I use for another player. XBMC has problems when there are many files in the same directory. But I can't find any other solution, spliting the Movies in many directories will be awful.

I can understand you need to load information about the whole directory when you are browsing the sources in Files mode, but it happens as well when I play the file from the Library. I straced the smbd in the NAS and I realized XBMC tries to get info about the current directory and makes a lot of I/O before even starting reading the data that is really needed. This as well had some side effects like for this 20 seconds the smbd takes the whole CPU in the NAS.

At the beginning I was blaming the NAS itself being too slow, but I do not have problems with other players of other clients just browsing the big directory.
Any ideas on this? I can provide any more info/data you need.
I just upgraded to the Atlantis gold release and am seeing this as well. On the previous beta release, browsing and playback of all movie content (I mainly have 720p MKVs and DVDs) was perfect and fast. After upgrading to the final Atlantis build, startup times for movies is now in teh 10-20 second range and 720p content playback "stutters", meaning XBMC pauses and appears to rebuffer before continuing playback.

Both my NAS (unRAID) and Ubuntu 8.04 XBMC systems are on a GigE network connection and playback from other devices on the network (laptop and other Windows desktop) is perfect. At first I thought it was a cable problem but I've tried other net cables and get the same problem.

So the only thing that changed is the XBMC upgrade. I upgraded by backing up my userdata directory and then did an 'sudo apt-get install xbmc'.

My next step is to rebuild Ubuntu from scratch with a fresh install of the gold Atlantis build. Maybe some old files/settings are causing a conflict. I'll let everyone know how that goes.
We really need debug logs in order to look into this problem. But do I understand it correctly that the problem did NOT occur with beta2?
-= Team Kodi developer fueled by heavy metal =-
Thumbs Up 
IBeIzPepe Wrote:My next step is to rebuild Ubuntu from scratch with a fresh install of the gold Atlantis build. Maybe some old files/settings are causing a conflict. I'll let everyone know how that goes.

So I just reinstalled Ubuntu 8.04 from scratch, I know this was an extreme measure but it didn't take long, then installed a fresh copy of XBMC and my problem now appears to be solved. Not sure this was the best way to solve the issue, but I'm sure I just upgraded XBMC incorrectly. In my defense, it was my first time upgrading, so I must have messed up.

Hope this helps someone, just trying to give a little back.
arnova Wrote:We really need debug logs in order to look into this problem. But do I understand it correctly that the problem did NOT occur with beta2?

No, it happened as well with Beta2. The problem is very easy to reproduce, just throw a bunch of files in the same directory (>200) and browse the directory (slow when going into the directory because it loads too much data from the whole directory) and try to play a video from it (slow startup because it is again reading data from the whole directory, about 20 seconds before it starts buffering).
Could you at least figure out which version it still worked properly (beta1, alpha-x?, SVN-xxxx)?

And again: a debug log please...
-= Team Kodi developer fueled by heavy metal =-
From where can I get the binaries/packages from the different versions? I have used only beta2 and final and both have the problem.

PS. I will post the debug files later when I am at home

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow SMB Browsing: "ERROR: Getting extended attributes for the share"0