SMB Restriction or XBMC Bug with directory requests
There appears to be an issue when adding a new source from SMB where the share has a large number of files. I get the message below when an unknown limit is met.

Code:
ERROR

INVALID ARGUMENT

It's definitely not an authentication issue. Other shares on the same server, with the same permissions/acl's, works perfectly. I have a "Movies" folder with over 500 video files in it; one file per "movie" in a flat directory.

I've experimented with moving files in and out of the directory, with no solid results as narrowing it down to a single file. It's also not based on the size of the file.

My initial thought was that it was a limitation of SMB on the amount of meta data returned (some of my movie files have long names). BUT, if I manually MOUNT the share in OS X and then attempt to add the source, it works perfectly...

Details:
  • XBMC 8.10b1 (Tested on OS X and ATV)
  • SMB share on Windows Win2K3
  • Share looks like this: smb://server/share/movies
  • No Debug logging when error occurs.

Yes, I could just mount it.... but that would deprive some dork-nozzle from responding with, "dude just mount it" Smile

That's what she said.
bump.

Nobody?
Same issue going on here for me. I verified permissions and one of my shares with thousands of folders behaves the same as you describe.
beninauburn Wrote:Same issue going on here for me. I verified permissions and one of my shares with thousands of folders behaves the same as you describe.

fresh launch of XBMC, try to mount the SMB share, quit XBMC. paste xbmc.log to http://www.pastebin.com and post the URL here.
I moved the share to WinXP x64 and the problem has resolved itself. It appears to be an issue with Win2K3 server only.
Thanks for the offer to help - much appreciated

Log posted to: http://pastebin.com/m714f72d0
beninauburn Wrote:Thanks for the offer to help - much appreciated

Log posted to: http://pastebin.com/m714f72d0

Code:
23:11:00 T:43550208 M: 92725248   ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://JUPITER/Videos/Movies'
                             unix_err:'d' error : 'Permission denied'

windows smb permissions problem.
I'm using the same user account to mount this share. I reset permissions. WTH simple thing do you think I'm missing? It's a user issue on my end I'm sure.
I created a new folder with nothing in it. Shared and set permissions. Added as source successfully. Added in a few folders with music files. Worked fine. Added a few more folders continued to work fine. Added remaining 1000+ folders and can no longer access the share with the same error message.

Is this still a permissions issue or is there something else happening?
beninauburn Wrote:I created a new folder with nothing in it. Shared and set permissions. Added as source successfully. Added in a few folders with music files. Worked fine. Added a few more folders continued to work fine. Added remaining 1000+ folders and can no longer access the share with the same error message.

ahhh, more details, works with smaller number of folders, fails with large number of folders (1000+). smells like a bug. Fill a ticket on trac with the details and it will get looked into.
beninauburn Wrote:I created a new folder with nothing in it. Shared and set permissions. Added as source successfully. Added in a few folders with music files. Worked fine. Added a few more folders continued to work fine. Added remaining 1000+ folders and can no longer access the share with the same error message.

I want to confirm that this is my experience as well. I have an SMB share with a couple hundred movies in it, and would receive the "invalid argument" message when I tried to access it. XBMC can access other shares on the same server. I went and organized the files into several smaller subfolders, and now it works normally.

I also hooked up a packet sniffer and watched the IP conversation. XBMC abruptly stops responding in the middle of a large directory listing. Feels like a buffer issue to me.

Anyway, I am 100% convinced that this is not a permissions issue.
Was there any resolution to this problem? I know the original poster simply moved the share, and the second poster had a password issue, but I'm seeing the same problem ("Invalid Argument" error on directories with >100 files).

Little more information:
Apple TV 2.2
XBMC 8.10
Windows Server 2003 SMB share

This is not a permissions issue.
So after reseting permissions and owner on all my files/folders and still being unable to view from XBMC.... I went ahead and reduced the folder count until I was able to view it again....

So, the magic number is 240 folders MAX under Win2K3 server

cheers!
check this thread and see if your Win2K3 server has folder quotas enabled.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/article...uotas.html
I have just come accross this issue on SVN:21474.

Running Debian Linux 2.6.30-1-amd64 with XBMC accessing a Windows Share from Windows Server 2008 x64.

With 109 MKV's and 1 empty folder I couldn't access the share. Mounting it via CIFS or SMBFS had no issues but XBMC refused to play ball.

Moving 20 or so MKV's into that empty folder fixed it for me and I didn't mind as I use library mode anyway.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMB Restriction or XBMC Bug with directory requests0