Music Library Scan doesn't capture all songs
Question 
Hi everyone,

i have some strange problem with the music library. If i select "Scan to library" on my music folder, XBMC starts to scan (showing the window on which folder it is working right now) and scans every subfolder for audio files.

When the scan is completed and i enter the library mode, there are just some of the artist listed. From 50 artists there are maybe 25 or so. The audio files are all in ogg vorbis format and are correctly tagged. I can play them without any problems in files mode.

The debug log is full of entries like that:

Code:
INFO: Creating thumb from: E:\Audio\Alben\D\Dropkick Murphys\2004 - Tessie\folder.jpg as: C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\koprom\Anwendungsdaten\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails\Music\0\0ae6b709.tbn
14:44:50 T:124 M:653451264   DEBUG: MUSIC_INFO::CMusicInfoScanner::DoScan Scanning dir 'E:\Audio\Alben\D\Dropkick Murphys\2004 - Tessie\' as not in the database
14:44:51 T:124 M:660836352   DEBUG: CFileItemList::Sort, sorting took 0 millis
14:44:51 T:124 M:660832256    INFO: Creating thumb from: E:\Audio\Alben\D\Dropkick Murphys\2005 - The Warrior's Code\folder.jpg as: C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\koprom\Anwendungsdaten\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails\Music\8\8a5932bc.tbn
14:44:51 T:124 M:660787200   DEBUG: MUSIC_INFO::CMusicInfoScanner::DoScan Scanning dir 'E:\Audio\Alben\D\Dropkick Murphys\2005 - The Warrior's Code\' as not in the database
14:44:51 T:124 M:659152896   DEBUG: CFileItemList::Sort, sorting took 0 millis

The artists not listed in the library show up in the log like the entries above just as the artists that are working with the library.

Here is the complete log file:
http://pastebin.com/mecace3a

Thanx for your help

TheNME123
Hi there,

Are the artists that are missing all from compilation albums? If so, you may have the "hide compilation only artists" setting turned on. If not, are the songs themselves missing from the database?

One presumes it's reproducible, in that the same artists are missing if you rescanned after removing your music library (mymusic7.db in userdata/database)?

If you could track it down to a single file whose artists aren't being read correctly then that'd be great to take a look at.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

It reads through the folder structure Artist/Album/Song.ogg and at some point it just stops. As an example from ExampleArtist it reads ExampleAlbum1 and ExampleAlbum2 but then it refuses to add ExampleAlbum3 (if there is one) or the following Artists. When i move the db file and rescan it does exactly the same. Stopping at the exact same point to import into the DB although the message box says it is scanning those directories.

I'm trying Windows Vista this evening, so i will report tomorrow if this solved my problem.

Thanx for your help jmarshall
Thumbs Up 
So i found the problem. One ogg vorbis file was corrupted and that stopped the scan from working correctly after this file.

I know this is not XBMCs fault but it would be nice if the scanner could just skip those items and continue to scan the rest of the files correctly.

For people having the same probs here is a tool which scans audio files for corruption:

http://www.vuplayer.com/other.php

Thanx for your help

Btw: I tried using the music library under Windows Vista x86 but i could not scan any item to the library. it was just empty after each scan.
can you provide that file for testing?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
I'm sorry sho, i've deleted those files. I only remember the error reported by audiotester. For some files it was "DECODER_FAILED", those files were not playable at all (my fault Blush ) . But some were playable and audiotester says "TRUNCATED" but the library scanner skipped those too.

If i find some files again i will give them to you.

Greetings TheNME123
Exclamation 
Hello again,

i thought the problem was sorted out but it isn't Sad !

I've very strange behavior of the music scanner with one music subfolder. The first scan of this folder scans about 20-30 subfolders with albums and inserts them to the database. After these albums it scans further but doesn't inerst them to the DB (scan speed increases dramatically). If i scan the same folder again, the scanner inserts the files it left out in the first scan.

This behaviour is reproducible on two different windows machines (didn't try any other systems). The files have no error according to audiotester. This time i did not delete the folder but i can't send it to you (3,4 GB in size and also illegal in this country) but i can give you the log files and/or the file listing of the folder.

I hope you can help me

Greetings TheNME123
Both log files will be useful (the one that skips a bunch of files, and the one that then picks them up). Make sure full debug logging is on (settings->system->enable debug logging).

Cheers,
Jonathan

Exclamation 
Hey jmarshall,

sorry for the delay Sad ! I will upload a log file with both scans done in one program start.

http://pastebin.com/m1e8c1423

Example for the behavior in these two lines:

Code:
14:41:33 T:1428 M:546062336   DEBUG: MUSIC_INFO::CMusicInfoScanner::DoScan Scanning dir 'E:\W\Wilco\2007 - Sky Blue Sky\' as not in the database

[...]

14:42:41 T:4884 M:545423360   DEBUG: MUSIC_INFO::CMusicInfoScanner::DoScan Scanning dir 'E:\W\Wilco\2007 - Sky Blue Sky\' as not in the database

I hope you can help with this problem. Thank you very much!

Greetings

TheNME123
Strange. The only thing I can think of is that the GetDirectory() call returned no items. This would leave a blank list, and the hash would then be empty. This is why it was thought to not be in the database. I'm not sure why it would return a blank list however!

Are you in a position to compile a build yourself so that we can add some logging to see exactly where it's failing?

It'd be also most helpful if you could post a ticket on trac and include the log file there (and a link back to this thread).

Cheers,
Jonathan

Should be no problem to compile a version but my knowledge of C(++) and DirectX is very limited Confused. So you have to guide me or submit a patch to subversion with additonal logging information.

I've also submitted a trac ticket with the logfile attached and a link to this thread!

Greetings
TheNME123
See the trac report.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Updated trac. Is this thread really needed anymore? I will keep an eye on the trac ticket so i guess we won't have to spam the board Big Grin .

Greetings

TheNME123
Hey jmarshall,

have you found out something new regarding the music scanner? I added some more files to the trac ticket. If you need the audio files i will upload them for you.

Greetings

TheNME123
Hi all,

My audio library is all MP3 Lame 3.9x and has successfully been scanned into library view in builds prior to 13xxx. Currently the library resides on a D-Link DNS-323 and I add a source from within Music which translate to the following path:

\\DNS-323\Music

The folder structure is as follows:

\\DNS-323\Music\<0,A-Z>\<artist>\<album>\Disc <#>\

All folders and filenames are a maximum of 42 characters in length and are comprised of the following characters: - ' . a-z A-Z 0-9

The <artist> folder contains a TBN for each <album> name. The album sub-folder usually contains two JPG's - folder.jpg & albumartsmall.jpg => for WinMediaPlayer.

Most post-13xxx series builds that I have used seem to have an issue with scanning audio files to the library view ... updating from within library view also seems to have an issue. When issuing the 'Scan Item To Library' at the <0,A-Z> folder level, the scan will begin to add files to the library. It seems however, that <artist> folder over the 250+ get processed but the files are not added to the library. As the scanning never actually halts, I haven't enabled Debug Logging. Additionally, the folders being scanned do display but the files are never added to the library.

For clarification:

\\DNS-323\Music\A folder contains 255 <artist> sub-folders; the first 250 <artist> folders are scanned into the library - the remaining 5 <artist> sub-folders have to be individually added by issuing a 'Scan Item To Library' on each one.

\\DNS-323\Music\B folder contains 396 <artist> sub-folders; the first 250 <artist> folders are scanned into the library - the remaining 251+ <artist> sub-folders have to be individually added by issuing a 'Scan Item To Library' on each one.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Library Scan doesn't capture all songs0