Library does not remove deleted files
I like the library feature in XBMC. With the fan art it makes the titles look very classy. The problem is when I delete files from the comp they do not automatically get removed from the library. Also if I were to rename a file, it will show up in the library again as a duplicate. One title for the old file and one for the new one. Only one of the two library listing will work.

XBMC does not automatically remove the old listing. I tried the update library command. That only adds new files...does not remove not working/moved/renamed titles. Is there a way to ask XBMC to do this? Or does it have to be done manually each time I delete/rename a file?

Not all files are in a separate folder assigned to them. Any help will be useful. Thanks.
Clean This folder (videodatabase)
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\XBMC\userdata\Database\MyVideos34.db

And this folder (thumbnails)
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails\Video
What does this do?
Waffa Wrote:Clean This folder (videodatabase)
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\XBMC\userdata\Database\MyVideos34.db

And this folder (thumbnails)
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\XBMC\userdata\Thumbnails\Video

Will this delete the whole library database. I don't want it to do that. I'd rather have it just clean out just the links that point to files that no longer exist on the comp. For example at each start up XBMC checks for new content and adds it to the library.

I am not sure if it has the programming capability to also check which links in the library are dead and automatically remove them. If it had that then it would be really nice addition. I guess maybe sometime for the developers to keep in mind for the next build.
That's the location of your library and thumbnails.
This will clean your library and thumbnails in video section.

Edit;
If you just want to delete the files that are wrong do remove them as source and xbmc asks you if you want them to delete also from library.
And with context menu "remove from library"
Waffa Wrote:Edit;
If you just want to delete the files that are wrong do remove them as source and xbmc asks you if you want them to delete also from library.
And with context menu "remove from library"

Thats the whole issue I don't want to remove the whole source. For example let say I have the movie Iron Man on my comp and in my library. I rename the file in my comp or move it to different folder within the same source folder. Now XBMC will have two links for Iron man. One for the old file that I renamed/moved and one for the new one. I'd like it to automatically remove the first link for Iron man which no longer works. Wondering if it can do that.
Go in library view to the movie you want to remove press "c" and choose "remove from lbrary".
Settings > Video > Clean Library
Hitcher Wrote:Settings > Video > Clean Library

This is what you want. It will clean any out any entries that you have deleted.

If you read through the advancedsettings.xml section on the wiki, you will find a setting to clean on update as well if you are looking for something like that. It is off by default though because you can't guarantee network storage will always be visible and it would suck for the library to get deleted because of a network issue.
Link to the wiki page yue are lookin for:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Advancedsett...library.3E
mitul103 Wrote:This is what you want. It will clean any out any entries that you have deleted.

If you read through the advancedsettings.xml section on the wiki, you will find a setting to clean on update as well if you are looking for something like that. It is off by default though because you can't guarantee network storage will always be visible and it would suck for the library to get deleted because of a network issue.

Something like this would work well for me...cause I am not running a network. everything is on my HTPC. Thanks for the link.
I tried the <cleanonupdate> option in advancedsettings.xml and it doesn't seem to work. Here is the text of my xml:

[HTML]<advancedsettings>
<displayremotecodes>true</displayremotecodes>
<videolibrary>
<cleanonupdate>true</cleanonupdate>
</videolibrary>
<tvshowmatching>
<regexp>([0-9]+)([0-9][0-9]) \- </regexp>
</tvshowmatching>
</advancedsettings>[/HTML]

I have the file located in \AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata. I have XBMC set to automatically update library on start-up in Settings>Video>Library. As far as I understand, this <cleanonupdate> setting in advancedsettings.xml should also clean the database after it's done updating on start-up. Old movies that have been deleted still remain in the database, however, until I manually go into Settings>Video>Library>Clean library.

Did I do something wrong?
Although this is an old post, still I would like to clear the question here.

XBMC does provide a way to clear all library files and re populate them, but this is not what rimmi2002 is aiming to.

I have the same request. I have an HTPC that is connected to the TV, I connect to it remotely and sometimes I do some spring cleaning and remove old movies. From that point, the movies are still in the library of XMBC and will only be removed if someone tried to play the movie, in which case XBMC will ask if you would like to remove the file from the library. There is always the "ugly" way which is to clear the library and re-populate it, but this is really a work-around and not a solution.

The question here: Is there a magical option that will cause XBMC to do a check the content of media sources on startup and remove the ones that do not exist anymore?

(2009-01-11, 23:52)Hitcher Wrote: Settings > Video > Clean Library

Yep. Exactly what Hitcher said.

Clean library doesn't remove everything from the library. It removes entries that no longer exist within the sources defined.
I have the same question, but with music. I deleted some files on my hard drive and even when I do a Clean Library the artist and song still show up int he library but obviously don't play. The only solution I found is to remove the source and re-add it. There has to be an easier way.

If I do an "Update Library", will that remove any files that no longer exist in the library?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Library does not remove deleted files0