question about GA-E7AUM-DS2H
before I pull the trigger on this MOBO to build my first HTPC/XBMC Live unit, I would like to know if there are any known limitations with this board.

I just want to make sure that Audio/Video through HDMI works fine, mainly Audio for DTS, DD and LPCM to my A/V receiver.

I saw this great guide http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42863 for configuring ASUS P5N7A-VM, I wonder if the same steps would apply for the GA-E7AUM-DS2H.

Any input would be appreciated, I am just afraid to buy this MOBO and run into issues.

Thanks.
nobody? looks like this mobo is not very popular, maybe I will post in the linux section.
danillll Wrote:nobody? looks like this mobo is not very popular, maybe I will post in the linux section.

I don't have that exact mobo, but a similar one. I've detailed my setup, and lessons learned in this thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42167

Really, the only major thing that needs to be done is after the install of XBMC you need to launch the alsamixer and unmute several audio items. I also had to enable vsynch to avoid video tearing.

Check out the first two posts on this thread for info on the alsamixer
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42167&page=2
thanks a lot eamiryar , very good steps, I will ping you if I got stuck.

Thanks
eamiryar,
one quick question, I noticed that you are using optical audio, have you tried HDMI?

Thanks
I have it though am still finalizing my build as we speak. The board is sweet though I can only tell you I get audio from the HDMI via Windows. Having said that, the only HDMI I have to use to test audio is the one on the stereo TV so I can't attest to it's full surround sound capabilities. Because of this limitation, I'm piping my audio out through the optical connection to my 5.1 receiver which sounds great!

I'm still in limbo as to what OS I want to run it on; I've had it working on a 4GB Compact Flash using the Live version and also on Windows Vista.

The video tearing was a slight issue until I enabled vertical sync which fixes that up easily.

I would buy it again given the choice and have zero regrets. It's also VERY overclock friendly!
GaryT , good to hear that you have the same mobo, I guess I am gonna go ahead and order it.

I am planning to have this box fully dedicated for XBMC, so I am thinking of installing XBMC live and maybe have windows as a dual boot option to use the box for work.
oh ... GaryT, what case did you get?
After taking huge inspiration from GaryT (and a little from david81 -- both from this thread) I took the plunge this week. You can see my supplies at the bottom of this post. I'll be putting it together this week.

I too would like to know what GaryT chose for his case and cooling options.

Also, GaryT, does that eData remote work on XBMC Live? I may end up with XP as my windows option, and hear that remote doesn't work with XP, just Vista.

My HTPC WIP:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H
Antec New Solution NSK2480 MicroATX Case
Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
eDATA DEC-200B Remote
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
danillll Wrote:oh ... GaryT, what case did you get?
It comes today so I'm pretty excited! I paid through the nose for it I know but asthetics were important. I know there are cheaper alternatives but it's only money, right? Eek LOL Moneual Moncaso 301B
I forgot to mention that I also have a combo HD DVD/Blu-Ray reader coming with todays goodies too. I have a few HD DVD movies that I got with the XBox HD DVD unit and want the functionality to be able to play "any" HD media with this project so I'm hoping this works out okay.

For the money it's a steal!
bobd76 Wrote:Also, GaryT, does that eData remote work on XBMC Live? I may end up with XP as my windows option, and hear that remote doesn't work with XP, just Vista.
The remote worked very well for the most part. If I was keeping it I would have to figure out how to remap a few of the buttons but 90% of it's there already.

I also tried to get it working in XP but without any luck. Works lke a champ in Vista though as you already suspected.

I'll ultimately end up using my Harmony remote but the case I just ordered also comes with an iMon remote. Too many remotes!!!! LOL Laugh
Thanks for the info, Gary. I too am thinking about including a Blu-Ray and maybe HD-DVD combo drive in my susytem. But from what I'm reading it sounds like it may be an expensive pain in the rear.

I started a thread recently on this. Can you update it with specifics from your experience?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=44501
I guess great minds think alike, i placed this order last sunday even before seeing this thread, should have the stuff tomorrow:

From Tiger Direct:
Apevia Q-Pak micro-atx cube case w/420w power supply

From Newegg:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 9400 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner Black SATA

Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Seagate ST3640323AS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Don't need a huge hard drive because all my media is on a network shared 1tb seagate drive.

Don't need blueray player because all of my 1080p movies are of the ripped/downloaded variety Big Grin

Still cant make my mind up as to what OS to use, i have all three and to be honest Windows 7 pretty much blows the others away, the speed of the thing makes xp look like a wet dog.
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
bobd76 Wrote:Thanks for the info, Gary. I too am thinking about including a Blu-Ray and maybe HD-DVD combo drive in my susytem. But from what I'm reading it sounds like it may be an expensive pain in the rear.

I started a thread recently on this. Can you update it with specifics from your experience?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=44501
I sure will. This thread should be interesting considering we have 3 or 4 systems going up with similar hardware. Together we might even get it working! Laugh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
question about GA-E7AUM-DS2H0