GA-E7AUM-DS2H question
I already posted this in the live section but didn't get any reply, I wonder if it gets some replies in here.

Thanks

before I pull the trigger on this MOBO to build my first HTPC/XBMC Live unit, I would like to know if there are any known limitations with this board.

I just want to make sure that Audio/Video through HDMI on linux works fine, mainly Audio for DTS, DD and LPCM to my A/V receiver.

I saw this great guide http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42863 for configuring ASUS P5N7A-VM, I wonder if the same steps would apply for the GA-E7AUM-DS2H.

Any input would be appreciated, I am just afraid to buy this MOBO and run into issues.

Thanks.
Considered buying the ASUSHuh Not sure DTS and other higher end CODECS will pass yet either, Linux limitation I believe. Do not know anything about that board, best thing to do is find out how well it works with Linux\Ubuntu and go from there. XBMC doesn't enforce any other limitations...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
See http://trac.xbmc.org/roadmap:

Code:
[size=large]Milestone: 9.04[/size]
* Updated FFmpeg (libavcodec/libavformat) adding new audio/video codecs, like:

* M2TS/M2T/MTS (Blu-ray and AVCHD video format) container support.
    * EVO (Enhanced VOB) for HD DVD video format container support.
    * AVS (Audio Video Standard) audio/video decoder and container support.
    * Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD audio software decoder.
    * MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing) / Packed PCM (PPCM) audio decoder.
    * WMA Pro Audio Codec (Windows Media Audio 9 Professional).
    * ...and many more, for a full list see XBMC Supported Formats and Codecs.
Yes, decoding with ffmpeg is one thing, but the real question is that if you could pass the multichannel (6 or 8 channel) high def (192khz, 24bit) lpcm stream to your av receiver through hdmi. Now this is what i think not working yet on linux op. sys.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I have this motherboard and at least when I purchased it, end of Nov I think, there was definitely not any support for sound over HDMI. I haven't checked since then. The SPDIF worked out of the box in Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex.

The ASUS with the nVidia 9300 onboard with HDMI is even worse because last I heard even the SPDIF doesn't work (ASUS used a modified realtek chip). EDIT: Wow I take that back, apparently the HDMI digital works but not the SPDIF now.
Reporting back. With ALSA 1.0.19 and the 9400 on the GA-E7AUM-DS2H, hdmi sound works but only 2 channel PCM, AC3, or DTS passthrough.
CapnBry Wrote:I have this motherboard and at least when I purchased it, end of Nov I think, there was definitely not any support for sound over HDMI. I haven't checked since then. The SPDIF worked out of the box in Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex.

The ASUS with the nVidia 9300 onboard with HDMI is even worse because last I heard even the SPDIF doesn't work (ASUS used a modified realtek chip). EDIT: Wow I take that back, apparently the HDMI digital works but not the SPDIF now.

Are you talking about P5N7A-VM? Becasue im using that board and it works perfectly with SPDIF out.
danillll: I've also tried using that guide but no luck. My Xorg.conf seems not to be working so well on ubuntu 8.04. I've installed the 180.22 drivers and still nothing. Everything else in that guide installed well.
If anyone knows how to properly install the 180.22 nvidia drivers for the e7aum mobo for ubuntu 8.04, let me know Smile
spozen Wrote:Are you talking about P5N7A-VM? Becasue im using that board and it works perfectly with SPDIF out.
Yeah I was because I had recently heard that there was an issue with the chip, but then I did a few searches and realized whoever made those claims were wrong so I edited the post.

For those with the OP's motherboard, go into alsamixer unmute "IEC958 1", set the passthrough device in XBMC to "hdmi" and the audio device to "plug:hdmi". Plug is required because the output is only 48kHz and plug will resample PCM to match that sample rate.
Still having problem with nvidia drivers 180.2x. I got it working with the old 180.11 drivers.
Anyone else using this motherboard got the 180.22+ drivers working?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GA-E7AUM-DS2H question0