Serious sync issues, what could it be?
Hello!

Ever since I started to use XBMC on Linux I've had major sync issues. I'm not sure if it's the audio or the video.

It has gone a long time now since XBMC matured on Linux so the fact that even though I'm using the latest (16982) svn release, the problem isn't fixed, got me thinking this is probably something with my setup or else there would be much more noise.

There is this ticket opened which might adress the issue: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5245

I have tried relocating, for example, the movie I am watching to be on the same machine as XBMC and also unpack it. Doesn't help.

Information about my system:

Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 LTS w/ all upgrades
nvidia-glx-new 169.12+2.6.24.16-23.56 from hardy-updates (also tried using NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.12-pkg from nvidia website)
768 MB RAM
Nvidia FX 5200 GPU
P4 2.6GHz CPU

Suggestions?
If you've got the option try the alpha3 ubuntu. Cutting edge drivers and all, different version of X. I'm using Mythbuntu for my version of Ubuntu and it does well with playback on a low end Intel chipset as the video driver.

http://www.mythbuntu.org/

Also, 768 Megs of RAM might be a little low.
Maxim Wrote:If you've got the option try the alpha3 ubuntu. Cutting edge drivers and all, different version of X. I'm using Mythbuntu for my version of Ubuntu and it does well with playback on a low end Intel chipset as the video driver.

Also, 768 Megs of RAM might be a little low.

Jaunty is actually at alpha 4 now Smile

I don't think the hardware is the problem. I played XviD files when I had a PIII and 256MB RAM without a problem. If I switch and play the media in VLC instead it's always perfect.
Do you have vsync enabled? You didn't really provide any useful info...see first link in my signature. Also, your gfx card is teetering on the edge of unsupported, some GL functions we use may be taking a software path.
I don't know what vsync is and it cannot be found on either FAQ or Online Manual.

http://xbmc.org/?s=vsync

Sorry, no posts matched your criteria.

I got several hits in the forum so I will start by looking through the results now. But if vsync is so important, maybe it should be listed in the FAQ or Online Manual.
Feel free to ask pike for wiki write access and add it...
Ok, I have done that.

I have now tried on another, newer computer. I can see the same problem there.

Jaunty Alpha 4
nvidia-glx-180 (180.27-0ubuntu1)
i686
xbmc 8.10final1svn17598-jaunty1
http://paste.ubuntu.com/115703/ (full debug log)
Intel Dual Core E2200 @ 2.20GHz
2GB RAM
NVIDIA GPU GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS (G72) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
Looks like you did not enable vsync:

18:38:41 T:3049842576 M:1289502720 INFO: GL: Disabling VSYNC

Enable it as Althekiller mentioned previously.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
tslayer Wrote:Looks like you did not enable vsync:

18:38:41 T:3049842576 M:1289502720 INFO: GL: Disabling VSYNC

Enable it as Althekiller mentioned previously.

Aha, I thought the thing was to disable it. I have the same problem if it's turned on. New debug log:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/115705/
My suggestion is to ENABLE it in your DRIVER itself... And then set the option in XBMC of "Let Driver Decide" (requires restart of XBMC).

Anyhow, maybe you should elaborate on what you mean by sync issues... Do you mean tearing or do you just mean audio/video sync issues (audio is off).

You also want to disable dynamictwinview. Search the forums on a post I made about that.

The other thing to try is disabling pulseaudio (again search forums about issues with it) in order to use ALSA.

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
tslayer Wrote:My suggestion is to ENABLE it in your DRIVER itself... And then set the option in XBMC of "Let Driver Decide" (requires restart of XBMC).

Anyhow, maybe you should elaborate on what you mean by sync issues... Do you mean tearing or do you just mean audio/video sync issues (audio is off).

You also want to disable dynamictwinview. Search the forums on a post I made about that.

The other thing to try is disabling pulseaudio (again search forums about issues with it) in order to use ALSA.

I just mean audio/video sync. I can see nothing wrong with the video output.

I may have enabled vsync in the driver now (nvidia-settings > X Screen 0 > OpenGL Settings > Sync to VBlank [x]). The reason why I say that I may have done it is because I'm not sure if that the correct setting to change.

I have also disabled dynamic twin view and pulseaudio.

I can see no difference.
I am not sure what to tell you. Anyhow, ignore vsync... If we are talking about audio/video sync (sound is off) then that is not vsync.

You can always adjust the audio delay from the OSD (while playing a movie).

Try that.

This thread solved my issues.

I now only have sync problem with one movie (the one I tested with the most of course). That movie plays with audio behind 0,5s on both my Linux XBMC machines but not on my XBOX.
althekiller Wrote:Do you have vsync enabled? You didn't really provide any useful info...see first link in my signature. Also, your gfx card is teetering on the edge of unsupported, some GL functions we use may be taking a software path.

Just for the record. I have replaced the FX 5200 with a GT 7600. Can't see any performance change in XBMC (while playing HD-material).

So if you're looking for better HD performance you should probably invest all your money on a better CPU.
Not true.. Go read the VDPAU threads.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Serious sync issues, what could it be?0