MSVCP71.dll Jester 02/10/09 Build Error
I built a new machine, and thus starting over and rebuilding my database ect. I am using the latest build from yesterday morning:
XBMCSetup-Rev17640-jester.exe 10-Feb-2009 10:46

The database starts to scan in the top right, and see the movie titles go by as it scans... Then at random points during scanning, It keeps locking during , saying:

"Downloading Movie information"
"Scanning for new content"

and sticks for over an hour with no HD activity or entries in the log. If I close and restart XBMC, and try to scan for new content on the drive again, no further movies are imported, and it immediately goes into the "Downloading Movie information Scanning for new content" and goes no further. After this happens, I have to either remove the source from the library, and clean up the database, or completely uninstall and reinstall XBMC.

As another note, once this "locks up", right clicking on the source and choosing "Stop Scanning" has absolutely no effect.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled XBMC 4 times this morning (Wiping all cache's, files and folders ect ect, and the same problem keeps occurring.

I opened the log file, and noticed this:

08:58:38 T:3412 M:915116032 ERROR: LoadLibrary('MSVCP71.dll') failed

I am running Vista Ultimate 32 bit, and realize that this file is needed per the release notes on the SVN page for Vista.

Doing a file scan, the file is located at:
C:\Program Files\XBMC\MSVCP71.dll

So the file does exist, but attempts to register it state no entry point was found and that it can not be registered.

The last lines of the log file when it "locks up" are:

08:58:38 T:3412 M:915116032 ERROR: LoadLibrary('MSVCP71.dll') failed
08:58:46 T:3412 M:911532032 ERROR: PICTURE DoCreateThumbnail: Unable to create thumbfile special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Video/f/f2c01ad8.tbn from image M:\Video\DVD's\100 Feet\100 Feet.tbn
08:59:34 T:3412 M:908861440 ERROR: Failed to download fanart to special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart/b28dea3c.tbn
09:00:25 T:3412 M:909983744 ERROR: Failed to download fanart to special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart/cf389659.tbn
09:02:01 T:3412 M:898777088 ERROR: Failed to download fanart to special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart/55b271c5.tbn
09:02:01 T:3412 M:898777088 ERROR: PICTURE DoCreateThumbnail: Unable to create thumbfile special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Video/5/55b271c5.tbn from image M:\Video\DVD's\Dead At 17\Dead At 17.tbn
09:04:30 T:3412 M:898248704 ERROR: Failed to download fanart to special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart/f39f022c.tbn
09:06:46 T:3412 M:887971840 ERROR: Failed to download fanart to special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart/069229c4.tbn
09:09:24 T:3412 M:880095232 ERROR: Failed to download fanart to special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart/f4811e70.tbn
09:10:25 T:3412 M:877285376 ERROR: Failed to download fanart to special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart/20ecf8c7.tbn
09:11:04 T:3412 M:875110400 ERROR: Failed to download fanart to special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart/1b2dbc51.tbn
09:12:33 T:3412 M:874930176 ERROR: Failed to download fanart to special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart/9a4a7780.tbn
09:12:51 T:3412 M:891318272 ERROR: VideoInfoScanner: Exception while scanning.

It seems there is another problem with the VideoInfoScanner, and I honestly do not know where to look to try to correct that one Smile

On a last note, is there a way to NOT have it use Internet scrapers to add movies? I use "Media Info Plus" and that creates all the fanart, .nfo's and such in each and every movie folder. I have double and triple checked, and each and every movie I have has all information, with the exception of some fanart images. Is there a way to tell it to use that information, and not re-download the information while importing? When it re-imports, it gets a lot of the movie titles wrong, incorrect fanart, covers ect ect...

One example is the movie "All In" (About poker players) imports as "All in the Family Season 1" Opening the folder, the movie.nfo has the correct title, the correct cover art and fanart. Looking at it in the library though has the "All In the Family" cover art and title. This is just one example of hundreds, as I currently have a little over 1,400 movies ripped to the MPC.

Here is an example of one of my folders movie folders:

M:\Into The Blue (2005)
fanart.jpg
Folder.jpg
Into The Blue.avi
Into The Blue.nfo
Into The Blue.tbn
Into The Blue-fanart.jpg
movie.tbn

------------------------------------------
Bio Star Mobo
Nvidia GE Force 6600 Using DVI Out
P4 2.8 Ghz w/ 4 GB Ram
Windows Vista Ultimate 32Bit
65" Rear Projection @ 1280 Res
Just over 1,400 Movies
Intel Quad core 3.8 Ghz / Windows 11 Pro / 32 gigs RAM/ MCE Remote /20 Tb storage / Intel Iris 550 chip-set outputting 4k via HDMI to a 80" LED TV / just over 5,800 movies

Have you entered your 5 Movies? - Support themoviedb.org as THE best open source movie information site.
Ok, I tried Kicker's build XBMCSetup-Rev16953.exe
and had the same exact result.

I actually formatted the computer, replaced Vista with XP MCE 2005 and tried again.

Both builds would crash when importing the library the same as on Vista.

As a last ditch effort, I totally uninstalled XBMC for the 1000th time, and installed the November official build, and the build went flawless and imported all movies without crashing.
Intel Quad core 3.8 Ghz / Windows 11 Pro / 32 gigs RAM/ MCE Remote /20 Tb storage / Intel Iris 550 chip-set outputting 4k via HDMI to a 80" LED TV / just over 5,800 movies

Have you entered your 5 Movies? - Support themoviedb.org as THE best open source movie information site.
John,

You'll need to copy the MSVCP72.DLL file to the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

You're having a similar issue that I had with newer XBMC builds. The cause of the issue is that the ImageLib.dll file used by XBMC to create thumbnail .tbn files in the newer builds requires the MSVCP71.DLL file. That file does not come standard with Windows so it is missing on most systems.

If the MSVCP71.DLL is in the XBMC folder, just move it to the SYStem32 folder and then install the newer XBMC builds and you'll be fine.

Here's a link to one of my earlier posts when I had the same issue (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42781)
Somehow, the message quoted below went from being a post before this one, to the post after it Smile

jmarshall Wrote:That should *NOT* be required. If it is, there's a bug.

I personally do not know if it is required or not, I just read that info on THIS page, and took it as being true.

Wow, if this is a well know issue, it is hard to believe that they have not updated the installers to place the files in the correct place!

I read on the SVN page that that dll was only needed for Vista:

Quote:From build 16744 onwards this also includes the two missing .dll files msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll which are needed on Vista
I installed XP MCE on the machine, and still had the same exact problem....

For now, things are going well with the official release, and I am just going to stick with that, after wasting an entire day banging my head against the wall Smile

That should *NOT* be required. If it is, there's a bug.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

What else could possibly be causing this then? I was a thorough as possible in the first post as I could be, with all the information, debug log info and anything else I could think of.

This happened after multiple uninstalls/installs, and then again on a totally fresh install of a different OS.

You forgot to include a pastebin of your entire xbmc.log.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
It may not be 'technically' required to copy the msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll files to the System32 folder, but since the System32 folder is part of the default PATH environment variable list it will always find the dll's when they are called by ImageLib.dll.

You could leave the dll's in the XBMC folder and add the path to XBMC to the PATH environment variable list, but it's much easier just to copy the files to System32. That way they are there is you run any other program that uses them too.
To be clear:

The new builds come with everything you need. The dll files should be in the XBMC directory. They should not need to be placed elsewhere. If you find that they do need to be placed elsewhere then there is a bug. Obviously placing them elsewhere is a workaround, but this should not be required.

Weird about the forum ordering!

tslayer Wrote:You forgot to include a pastebin of your entire xbmc.log.

Yea, I didn't post the whole log. I copied the section above, which was the only section where errors were occurring.....

So, any ideas what can be causing this? As mentioned, I switched from the SVN's to the official release from November, and the import went smoothly, other than it still INSISTS on downloading all the movie information, even though I have ALL of the Movie.nfo's, fanart, and cover art for every movie in each folder.

Still, pastebin the full log. There may be other things that the devs can use.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Create a dummy filesystem with all your nfo files and whatnot, zip it up, and post it so that others can reproduce. You can probably cut it down in size, assuming that when you do so you can still reproduce the problem.

Can somebody re-open the ticket about this (or open a new one)
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5821

there is an issue with where lib look for the .dll files
as JM correctly pointed out, it should work fine with the .dll in the same dir are the xbmc.exe, however it seems that in this case it doesnt work, so more patching is needed (like wiso did the last time.)
but we need a way to reproduce it as it works for the cases I'd test
Is their any reason why the runtime library are not statically linked ? If it was, we shouldn't have this problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MSVCP71.dll Jester 02/10/09 Build Error0