• 1(current)
720p 24fps Xvid movies on your Xbox!
Thumbs Up 
T3CH XBMC 2008-11-13 8.10 PROPER 720P

I have been able to run 720p avi and mkv (xvid/ac3) from my network share with no frame loss.

It is actually really easy. I used Xvid4psp to encode the files. I use an Xvid 2 pass extreme profile with everything unchecked. with a quality of 0.200+
24FPS

Uncheck
Quarter pixel search (qpel)
Global Motion Compensation (GMC3)
Chroma Motion Estimation
0 B-frames
Closed GOP
Packed Bitstream
VHQ for B-frames

The only things left on in the profile is

Trellis quantization
Luminmasking algorithm

Audio
AC3 256 - 384
or AAC inside a MKV (xvid/aac) xbmc plays this setup fine.

On anything with an aspect ratio of 16x9 resize it to 2.35:1 then in xbmc choose to zoom to 16x9 and it will look normal.

To play these 720p movies play using Dvdplayer.
You can use High Quality Pixel Shader in your video setup with no frame loss.

All across the network...LaughNo need for a WDTV now.
Wow thats an old release.
i can confirm that 720p/5.1ac3 will indeed play nicely with xbmc on xbox, however, u will need to reencode every movie you download. I use visualhub with very good results, but will try xvid4psp just for fun.
I run 720p AC3 Xvids on my Xbox too. I reencode with MediaCoder.

[b]SLAPPER,

What bitrate are you doing your encodes at?
I encode starting at about 3300 and go from there. Being able to run these across the network I don't have to worry about the 4GB limit.

Right now I'm encoding LOTR-Fellowship at 3400 for a filesize of 6144MB.

I just did the Crow at 3900 for a filesize of 3072MB.
ok, I tried xvid4psp. I like it!, nice interface, easy to use. the end results I feel are not as quite as nice as visualhub. however, it is very close and took less than half the time to encode! I will be playing with this more and experimenting.

also, you can leave chroma motion estimation checked. i use this as well as trellis and lumamasking in visualhub and the file still plays fine in xbmc on xbox.

I think you could get away with 1 b frame as well, but havent tried. pretty sure qpel and gmc are a no.

[b]SLAPPER,
Have you done a .avi greater than 4gb? or do you go with mkv at that point? I am having some issues with .avi >4gb within visualhub.

Also, what encoding profile do you use? is Ultra HQ better than extreme? Thanks for bringing my attention to this program!
I've found MediaCoder x64 to be faster than Xvid4PSP. Give it a try.
is mediacoder x64 a 64bit program? also, i found mediacoder to drop frames during the reencode in order to keep audio in sync. not seeing that with xvid4psp. so far I like this program a lot, it is virtualdub under the hood and noce interface.

i created a >4gb file and it reads multipart opendml in gspot. will this play ok in xbmc? I havent had a chance to try it yet.
jarod71 Wrote:is mediacoder x64 a 64bit program?

MediaCoder comes in 32bit and 64bit flavours.
Well done on this I finally have 720p working on xbox without frame skipping or dropping.I think when you select the profile(Xvid HQ Xtreme) it doesn't really matter as once you change the settings mentioned the profile changes to custom anyway in xvid4psp. Have also taken advice of settings from jarod71, works as you say also. I ripped Wall-E 1080p(1920 X 800) MKV to 720p (1280 x 544) using 2 pass bitrate of 3900 and AC3 384k. Thank you for finding this amazing little program [b]SLAPPER, it was well worth the wait of encoding(14 hrs approx). Wink
I convert from 720p to 720p, I haven't done a 1080p yet. not sure if there is a big difference once you down convert it. but I have the settings I listed with 640kbps ac3 working with no dropped frames. I matched the bitrate to the source 4461kbps. It came out great. and this was Blade Runner, a xvid codec's nightmare! lots of smoke, haze, water, rain and all the things xvid does not do so well, and artifact's were minimal to none and the movie looked amazing.

I am having a small issue and not sure if it my xbmc build, my standalone nas or what, but if the file is over 4gb, the movie plays all the way through but xbmc reports the wrong file size (221mb?). anyone seen that? not sure if it is a big deal as it doesn't affect the playback. when I rebuild my xbox, I want a skin that doesn't show the file size anyway but just wondering...
ok after watching Wall-E from start to finish there are 2 - 3 scenes I had buffering show up with. So I increased he LAN video cache and it got better but still slightly stops to buffer. I wonder is this a network problem or a setting or value I can change on the encode? Any suggestions?
willers.nail Wrote:ok after watching Wall-E from start to finish there are 2 - 3 scenes I had buffering show up with. So I increased he LAN video cache and it got better but still slightly stops to buffer. I wonder is this a network problem or a setting or value I can change on the encode? Any suggestions?

I had some stuttering whilst watching with Mplayer but none with DVDplayer, try it with DVDplayer aight........ Also i found that 2 pass ain't really necessary (in my opinion)......

Maybe it's because you re encoded a 1080p sourceHuh I'm still trying the 720p sources and i did a couple of trailers, man the quality is superb!!!!
how are you connecting to your network? You may have this issue if your bitrate is too high. what bitrate did you choose to encode with. it is variable so in those scenes, it still may be too high. most likely a network issue but I am not sure. I rarely have this issue, only when I am writing to my standalone nas at the same time as I am playing back a movie. also make sure you are using dvdplayer not mplayer and that you have low quality pixelshader selected in the video settings.
According to the thread title i wonder if the Xbox 1 is capable of running movies in native 24 FPS? It's impossible, isn't it?
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
720p 24fps Xvid movies on your Xbox!0