What Nvidia card to buy for hw-decoding?
I getting tired on my GIGABYTE MA78GM-S2H HDMI SOCKET AM2+ M-ATX with the ATI HD3200, so Im thinking of buying a NVIDIA gfx.

What is the cheapest card that works good with XBMC, Ubuntu and hardware decoding?

/Söder
I think this is a fair question... I did some research and did not find the answer so I'm also interested.

So... What NVidia chipset is the lowest-end that will do 1080p video well?
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Livin Wrote:I think this is a fair question... I did some research and did not find the answer so I'm also interested.

So... What NVidia chipset is the lowest-end that will do 1080p video well?

I found this in Sweden.
ASUS GEFORCE 8400GS 256MB DDR2 VGA/DVI SILENT
Costs about 40$

Wonder if thats a good start, of if its to good or to bad...

/Söder
soder Wrote:I found this in Sweden.
ASUS GEFORCE 8400GS 256MB DDR2 VGA/DVI SILENT
Costs about 40$

Wonder if thats a good start, of if its to good or to bad...

/Söder

If I were you i should invest in 9 series... there are at alright price right now in Sweden.

http://www.komplett.se/k/kl.aspx?mfr=&bn...6.K144543.

Personally I'm using good old 8600GS 512MB SilentFX, bought it with my computer when it came out.
9400gt 512mb
What does the 9000 serie have that the 8000 doesnt have? I need the gfx for nothing more then XBMC.

The 9000-cards cost half the price of my motherboard cost... =(

Are there any plans for hw-decoding with the ATI?

/Söder
motd2k Wrote:9400gt 512mb

Why? Doesn't this one have crappier chip than 8400gs?
i have an 8500gt 512mb passive cooling and it works perfectly Smile even the killa sample is LOWWWWWWWWWW cpu usage Smile
C-Quel Wrote:i have an 8500gt 512mb passive cooling and it works perfectly Smile even the killa sample is LOWWWWWWWWWW cpu usage Smile

I thought the killa sample couldn't run on hw-decoding?

/Söder
soder Wrote:I thought the killa sample couldn't run on hw-decoding?

/Söder
?? Sure - works fine. Why wouldn't it? It is a sucky test though - artbeats is better...

xnappo
No offense but this has been discussed so many damn times now. 8400gs will do VC1 in hardware, but its got a hardware bug. Steer clear.

9400 does 'partial' VC1 acceleration, which in plain English means that on my 5050e running 1080p24 source loads the CPU to 5%/15% per core, its fine.

Killa works fine, it would seem you read the first 3 pages of the nvnews.net mplayer thread and then got bored. Tongue

Finally, in one post you ask about the 8400GS for $40 and then complainn about the price of the 9000 series, they're punch for punch almost identically priced.

Just get a 9400 or 9500 with 512MB, its really that simple.
I have 9400GT with 512vram. I'm running it on with A64x2 4200+ underclocked to 1000mhz and undervolted to 1.1volts. It runs killa without any frame drop (only 6-7 frames when the file starts) and doesn't even touch the cpu. The vga costs ~50$.
motd2k wrote much (all?) of the VDPAU support for XBMC and folks are questioning his recommendations for hardware to make use of it? wow.....
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Is there any trick to get hardware decoding working? (switch?) I just built my machine a while back and I built it 'beefy' to begin with, and its ran great, so I haven't even bothered to look into it yet.
Mony Wrote:I have 9400GT with 512vram. I'm running it on with A64x2 4200+ underclocked to 1000mhz and undervolted to 1.1volts. It runs killa without any frame drop (only 6-7 frames when the file starts) and doesn't even touch the cpu. The vga costs ~50$.

Im trying DXVA at my Win7 computer, with MPC-HC, and Ive been told that the killa sample dont work with hw-decoding.

Thats why Im wondering why you guys can do it in XBMC.

/Söder

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What Nvidia card to buy for hw-decoding?0