Babylon Beta on Mac Mini - AC3 Passthrough
Happy to post a proper ticket if this isn't already known and being looked at;

If I tell XBMC to use Analogue audio, then my Stereo and AC3 videos play sound via the optical link to my Sony STR-DB930 amplifier just fine (albeit, I'm stuck with just a stereo mix).

If I tell XBMC to use Digital audio, and enable AC3 and DTS passthrough, my Stereo videos play fine, and the panel on my amplifier correctly tells me it's getting "PCM [48kHz]".

If however I tell XBMC to use Digital audio, and enable AC3 and DTS passthrough, my AC3 videos play without any sound at all. The panel on my amplifier correctly tells me it's getting "Dolby Digital [3/2]", but there's nothing but silence.

Debug File can be found at http://fergus.pastebin.com/f61fec123
Media Info can be found at http://fergus.pastebin.com/f2555809e
System Profile info can be found at http://fergus.pastebin.com/f5b1dfb43
Amp is a Sony STR DB930, attached by an optical cable.

For what it's worth, an old version of Plex (compiled 7th February) can successfully passthrough the 5.1 AC3 track to my amplifier. I'm confident therefore that my hardware (mac, cable and amplifier) are all working fine.

Happy to provide any further detail, if it helps get the surround sound experience running on my Mac Mini, just as it does on my prehistoric release of XBMC on my good-old XBox in the other room!

ps Well chuffed that the Shutdown option now shuts my machine down properly. Thanks Davilla!
This sounds like the portaudio problem on OS X - it doesn't work with a small subset of receivers (newer Sony's and some older Yamaha's)

phi2039 has already remedied the situation in the osx-coreaudio branch, but this won't make it in for 9.04, unfortunately.

I'll see if I can arrange a release from the osx-coreaudio branch so that you can try it out if you don't wish to build it yourself.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

That would awesome JMarshall, thank you! I don't think I'm quite ready to try creating a build myself, but I'd love to test a build as you describe and post back the results.

Thanks again,

Fergus.
any news on this?? I'm having the same issue.

I found a way to listen my AC-3 movies in 5.1 but its a pain...

(select a DTS movie play it, without stop it go back and select the AC-3 one)

*If you pause the movie you will have to do it all again
clearArt Concept
cdArt Concept

*If like, thank user
reaven Wrote:any news on this??

Suspect from your other posts that you've already worked this out, but the coreaudio changes are now part of the main linuxport branch and therefore included by default in the third-party nightly builds. I compiled my own, and am well pleased to have my AC3 surround sound back again!
Fergus Wrote:Suspect from your other posts that you've already worked this out, but the coreaudio changes are now part of the main linuxport branch and therefore included by default in the third-party nightly builds. I compiled my own, and am well pleased to have my AC3 surround sound back again!

I have download the nightly build for OSX from here but I dont really know how to implement the build.

theres a lot of strange files in there that I dont know where to put them, Do I loose all my settings if I install the new build?

can you tell me the steps to install this ?
clearArt Concept
cdArt Concept

*If like, thank user
reaven Wrote:can you tell me the steps to install this ?

Just run the application that's inside the .zip file inside the .rar file - you should be fine!

Copy it to your Applications folder and overwrite your old copy once you're happy with it.

If you want a more cautious approach, I generally make a safe copy of the Library/Application Support/XBMC folder in my HOME directory; just in case the new application screws up any settings and forces you to configure XBMC with your preferred settings and sources again.
I dont know if is because I viewing this in Windows But inside the zip theres nothing to run. I only see files inside Content.

let me try in Mac OS X and let you know...My Bad it was that!!

Thanks everything is OK now !!!

BTW
did you try to edit your keymap.xml for apple remote, I can make it work the hold left and hold right i think is button id 9 and 10
clearArt Concept
cdArt Concept

*If like, thank user
reaven Wrote:Thanks everything is OK now !!!

Good glad to hear it!

reaven Wrote:did you try to edit your keymap.xml for apple remote

I made some mods to my keymap.xml ages ago (remapped volume up/down buttons to skip forward/backwards, seeing as I use the volume control on my amp) but have yet to experiment further. I'm a Phillips Pronto Pro user, so am hoping to find the time later and overcome the limited number of remote buttons available to learn from the standard Apple Remote.
Quote:I'm a Phillips Pronto Pro user

lol me too but I'm not used it anymore dont know why !!!
clearArt Concept
cdArt Concept

*If like, thank user
you didnt notice any problem with the build ?

since the updated I cant launch XBMC with the remote anymore.
clearArt Concept
cdArt Concept

*If like, thank user
Did you check "Always On" is still selected in the Apple Remote section of the System settings?
yes is on, weird thing before the update it was working, also dont know if this is related with Mac OS version but from time to time to get XBMC recognized a new show I have to delete the video34.db and just happens with the shows the movies updates fine.

BTW in what Mac are you running XBMC do you get an smoth video aqm planning to buy an Mac mini just for XBMC, right now am using a Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.66ghz and 3mb RAM. and sometimes the video get like out of sync or maybe the refresh rate I dont know, I just want to know if have to do with processor/memory or just settings.

this is what i meant from time to time this line pass from bottom to top, thats why I think is a refresh rate problem or interlacing or something.
clearArt Concept
cdArt Concept

*If like, thank user
reaven Wrote:yes is on, weird thing before the update it was working, also dont know if this is related with Mac OS version but from time to time to get XBMC recognized a new show I have to delete the video34.db and just happens with the shows the movies updates fine.

BTW in what Mac are you running XBMC do you get an smoth video aqm planning to buy an Mac mini just for XBMC, right now am using a Mac Book Pro Core 2 Duo 2.66ghz and 3mb RAM. and sometimes the video get like out of sync or maybe the refresh rate I dont know, I just want to know if have to do with processor/memory or just settings.

this is what i meant from time to time this line pass from bottom to top, thats why I think is a refresh rate problem or interlacing or something.

Mediainfo this file at report back the fps of the content.
Quote:Mediainfo this file at report back the fps of the content.

you lost me there, you want me to do what ?
and
you're refering to the problem with the video or the problem with the tvshows episode, that i have to delete the database every time I add a new episode to make XBMC recognized it, but the movies get recognized ok.
clearArt Concept
cdArt Concept

*If like, thank user

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Babylon Beta on Mac Mini - AC3 Passthrough0