Could not connect to the internet
Hey all,

I'm having difficulty getting a connection. In the system info it shows under network that a link is connected and I can see all the ip addresses there, but when I go to the network settings all it has is eth1 and eth2 and all the ip's are 0.0.0.0 and are greyed out so I can't edit.

I have tried going into /etc/network/interfaces to change eth0 to eth1 but I'm really novice and unsure how to save the settings once I've changed them....

I mean how do you exit once you are in /etc/network/interfaces? it says ^Y to exit but fcuk knows how to exit?? When you exit does it save the the edited script/config?

Can anyone shed any light on this matter?

Cheers
Bump
xpertz Wrote:Hey all,

I'm having difficulty getting a connection. In the system info it shows under network that a link is connected and I can see all the ip addresses there, but when I go to the network settings all it has is eth1 and eth2 and all the ip's are 0.0.0.0 and are greyed out so I can't edit.

I have tried going into /etc/network/interfaces to change eth0 to eth1 but I'm really novice and unsure how to save the settings once I've changed them....

I mean how do you exit once you are in /etc/network/interfaces? it says ^Y to exit but fcuk knows how to exit?? When you exit does it save the the edited script/config?

Can anyone shed any light on this matter?

Cheers

You could Google how to use nano to edit text documents in the command line. You'll want to connect, do a "sudo nano /etc/..." and then I believe you hit control-x to exit and "Y" to save. Recalling this from memory so cannot say for sure, but I think that's close enough to get you there...

Check out the wiki for some help [http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Configuring_XBMC_Live], but be careful as some of it is out of date.
Supporter of all things Linux, Android, XBMC and NextPVR
jkrellner Wrote:You could Google how to use nano to edit text documents in the command line. You'll want to connect, do a "sudo nano /etc/..." and then I believe you hit control-x to exit and "Y" to save. Recalling this from memory so cannot say for sure, but I think that's close enough to get you there...

Check out the wiki for some help [http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Configuring_XBMC_Live], but be careful as some of it is out of date.

Awesome thanks for your help mate. It worked a treat.

Still having problems though, all the ip adresses have populated automatically and match with my router but it still doesn't connect to the internet. I have sucessfully connected to xbmc using filezilla ftp so I can get in.

I am using a router and the ip's are from the router (LAN) and not my ISP.

Hmm has anyone come across this?

In short - The internet is connected when you go /system info/ network & and all the ip's have automatically populated in system configuration/ network but it still comes up says "could not connect to a network server."
Bump Smile

Can anyone help out with the above post? Or should I install 9.04? Oo
Did you set the dns in /etc/resolv.conf?
Thumbs Up 
Maxim Wrote:Did you set the dns in /etc/resolv.conf?

ummmmm... nope havn't touched /etc/resolv.conf

I'll have a look tonight. So how do I set dns?
Put in the file
Code:
nameserver 192.168.0.2
Of course replace the IP address with your router or your ISP's DNS.
Maxim Wrote:Put in the file
Code:
nameserver 192.168.0.2
Of course replace the IP address with your router or your ISP's DNS.

Hmm I've tried both, added the file with my router gateway aswell as my ISP DNS but it still doesn't seem to want to connect to the internet Sad

Can I try anything else or is this a fail for me. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Could not connect to the internet0