updater for linux version?
I'm very green when it comes to linux, and this whole compiling thing....scares me. I'm going to build a zotac Ion system to play my 720p/1080p content on my tv, and thus I need to use the linux builds to get video acceleration from the hardware. On Windows, theres a great utility some guys here came up with to update xbmc automatically as new buids come out http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...te+windows

Is there something like this to keep up to date with the linux builds? My plan was to use the XBMC-Live cd to install a copy to my hard drive, seeing as how that will probably use the least amount of the limited resources the ION will have, but I don't want to have to keep using CD's to update the build as new changes are released. Is there a better way to do this?

Ultimately I want a box that i can just push the power button and it boots straight into XBMC, no desktop no nothing. If i can do this using the full ubuntu way, and get updates easier, I'll do that, but I don't know...so tell me Smile
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
You can set the update manager to auto update. Just read up on apt and synaptic.

EDIT: If you use XBMCLive it's packed with a script that allows you to install updates from within XBMC. I'm not sure what it entails to get it setup on a normal system though.
althekiller Wrote:EDIT: If you use XBMCLive it's packed with a script that allows you to install updates from within XBMC. I'm not sure what it entails to get it setup on a normal system though.

Just to add some info.
If it's an aptitude based distro (Ubuntu, Debian), you need to sudo apt-get python-apt and then pull the script via SVN Repo Installer, or install it manually from XBMC Addons SVN. Then it should work.

http://xbmc.org/topfs2/2009/03/03/upgrad...xbmc-live/
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
updater for linux version?0