Audio Tone Low (not volume)
I am running Ubuntu 9.04 and XBMC 9.04.1 build 20654. I can listen to mp3 and internet radio fine. When I play any videos (ones that have worked in the past) they play fine except for the fact that the audio tone is too low. Any ideas?
Disable pulseaudio.
umm how can you tell if xbmc is using pulseaduio? is this something u set when building xbmc or you have to do something to your linux?
Pulseaudio support gets compiled in if it's desired (configure switch) or detected at ./configure time. So either you ditch pulseaudio from the system or recompile (if you have compiled yourself actually) with --disable-pulse (IIRC). Pulseaudio seems to be to blame for most of xbmc's audio issues.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I've been experiencing a similar thing with ALSA and digital-out over SPDIF.

The output sound level from the amp seems similar between normal broadcast FM radio received directly by the amp and Music played through XBMC via SPDIF.

Movies and Videos in general seem a bit quieter than Music though needing the Sony amp wound up another 5-10 clicks to get a similar sound level. It's comfortable listening to the Amp at 30 for Music. Routinely the amp volume gets into the 40s though when watching movies to get a good sound level.

Most of the content we watch has AC3 for audio. Similar lower noise level has been observed with other varied audio codecs as well. Not sure if the codec would affect anything though.
Oh, and I'm running Mythbuntu 8.10 without any updates to ALSA (1.0.17). Would an ALSA update helpHuh
He says, Audio Tone, not volume.

PulseAudio usually is able to take nearly all samplerates and does sw mixing so my beat is actually that it's alsa that doesn't support the given samplerate.

but a log would tell more Smile

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
dteirney Wrote:Most of the content we watch has AC3 for audio. Similar lower noise level has been observed with other varied audio codecs as well. Not sure if the codec would affect anything though.
Just a quick note to not go OT: That is perfectly normal i guess. Playing a dvd from the standalone player (AC3) also results in way lower volume for me. You could compensate that by dynamic compression, often called "night theater" at sony. search your AVR's manual.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio Tone Low (not volume)0