Upgrading XBMC Live?
b00sted4fun Wrote:you have verified it works on the live as well? cause every time i try to jsut use the linux build all hell breaks lose lol

Yes, im using live 9.04.1

cheers
harryzimm Wrote:Hi and welcome to the forums.

You will have to download the source, packages and compile yourself. This should get you started. You can do this using scp.

From the readme.linux.

Code:
cd $HOME

Code:
sudo apt-get install subversion

Code:
svn checkout https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc/branches/linuxport/XBMC

Code:
sudo apt-get install subversion make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm automake cmake gperf unzip bison libsdl-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev libsdl-stretch-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl4-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libfaac-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libpulse-dev mesa-utils libcdio-dev libsamplerate-dev

Code:
cd XBMC

Code:
./configure --prefix=/usr

Code:
make

Add -j2 for dual core cpu. eg "make -j2"

Code:
sudo make install

And finally

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/xbmc-live stop

xbmc should then restart and will be the latest svn.

cheers.

ps If you are using a version of xbmc live older than 9.04.1, this method wont work 100% .

hey thanks for the guide...i just tried it, and everything worked up until the /configure line...this is what i get:

Code:
checking for main in -lSDL_mixer... yes
checking for main in -ldl... yes
checking for main in -lresolv... yes
checking for main in -lenca... yes
checking for main in -ljasper... yes
checking for main in -lmms... no
configure: error: Could not find a required library. Please see the README for your platform.
(T: XBMCLive)xbmc@XBMCLive:~/XBMC$

any ideas?
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
Hey harryzimm... i hate to ask this, but for us that are green to linux, would it be possible for you to maybe zip/tar a copy of your installation?

I tried your method and almost finished it, except for the one line i posted about where it stopped working. I think i got maybe 80% complete when that happened.

The Aptitude script within XBMC live doesn't seem to work, as whenever I run it, it tells me no updates available.

I'd try l.capriotti's method, but from what people are saying, that seems to break the auto boot. When I was using your method, it looks like the current build in svn is some 1300+ builds further along than what is in XBMC live 9.04.1, so I'm sure there are hundreds of changes that may help us on the ION platform. In addition, AEON doesn't seem to work with the 9.04.1 build, so I and I'm sure everyone else here would like to try and get updated.

Thanks
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
I get the same problem as evanrich... Any ideas?

-Erik
burritoboy9984 Wrote:I get the same problem as evanrich... Any ideas?

-Erik

use this link to get it successfully updated, it worked like a charm for me.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=54350
Evanrich Wrote:use this link to get it successfully updated, it worked like a charm for me.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=54350

Yes if you are new to linux use the svn ppa. Some people prefer to compile there own builds though. Anyway the error you recieved is caused by not having all the packages needed to compile xbmc. Obviously new packages have been added since i posted that guide. It was pretty much copy and paste from the readme.linux file anyway. If you look at the top of my guide you will see a link to the readme file which is always updated when new things are added.

cheers
harryzimm Wrote:Yes if you are new to linux use the svn ppa. Some people prefer to compile there own builds though. Anyway the error you recieved is caused by not having all the packages needed to compile xbmc. Obviously new packages have been added since i posted that guide. It was pretty much copy and paste from the readme.linux file anyway. If you look at the top of my guide you will see a link to the readme file which is always updated when new things are added.

cheers

ahh ok, I'm still getting my feet wet with linux, so when that error came up...i was lost. I'll go take a look at that page to see whats new. thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Upgrading XBMC Live?0