XBMC - Asrock ION 330
I just read a test about the "new" Asrock nettop with the dual-core atom 330 on ION platform.

The thing got me that they tried with XBMC for Windows, and had problems even running the GUI. I noticed something similar on my laptop (turion64 1800MHz + 640 M ram), 100% processor usage but I credited that the VGA is far outdated (ati - x200) and memory is low.

But I didn't expect that the dual core atom wih 2Gigs ram... It's not about HD videos. Just the GUI.

Anyone had experience like this or the test made something wrong?

(Oh, I can link the test but it's not in english.)
Search the forums.

XMBC for windows will barely run on the ion platform, as it has no hardware acceleration. If you want it to run smoothly, use the linux build as it features VDPAU hardware acceleration.
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
I wrote it's NOT about the HD or any video playing. I know that the win version has no gpu support -_-

I was asking about the GUI.
Im currently running windows 7 and xbmc on an asrock ion 330. The gui is less responsive than in linux, but its not something that bothers me much. If the problem with hardware accelleration is resolved, or i manage to launch external players seamlessly, ill stick to windows instead of linux.
Meglivorn Wrote:I wrote it's NOT about the HD or any video playing. I know that the win version has no gpu support -_-

I was asking about the GUI.

XBMC GUI runs of your GPU not the CPU.
Hello XBMC Forum, this is just my first post, so please be friendly Smile

I tested my shiny new ASROCK Ion 330 last weekend and this is where i got so far :

I installed Windows XP and installed all drivers which are on the support CD. After that i installed XBMC for windows. I connected the PC to my FullHD Sony-LCD via HDMI and tested a mpeg4 Video from HDD and a DVD from the Multi-Drive in 1080p scale. Result : Both videos did not run smothly. Audio via HDMI works fine. When i used a 1080i scale everything was fine.
I also tried PowerDVD9 with the same results.
I downloaded CUDA Driver: NVIDIA Driver for Windows XP 32-bit 185.85 but this changed nothing. Then i switched to a XBMC-Live-USB solution, but with other problems, i will make a post in the corresponding Sub-Forum.
Has anyone tried Windows 7 with better results ?

Greetings
ValHarris
What skin are you using ?
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
Meglivorn Wrote:I just read a test about the "new" Asrock nettop with the dual-core atom 330 on ION platform.

The thing got me that they tried with XBMC for Windows, and had problems even running the GUI. I noticed something similar on my laptop (turion64 1800MHz + 640 M ram), 100% processor usage but I credited that the VGA is far outdated (ati - x200) and memory is low.

But I didn't expect that the dual core atom wih 2Gigs ram... It's not about HD videos. Just the GUI.

Anyone had experience like this or the test made something wrong?

(Oh, I can link the test but it's not in english.)

Its a known issue with some setups search 100% CPU or similar, turn on debug and then change the vsync setting and your probably find one setting will bring down your CPU

Some revisions work better than others for me, give this one a go but try changing vsync first on the one your using and the one below

http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showpost.php?p...tcount=687

mindweaver Wrote:XBMC GUI runs of your GPU not the CPU.

That's news to me
ValHarris Wrote:Hello XBMC Forum, this is just my first post, so please be friendly Smile

I tested my shiny new ASROCK Ion 330 last weekend and this is where i got so far :

I installed Windows XP and installed all drivers which are on the support CD. After that i installed XBMC for windows. I connected the PC to my FullHD Sony-LCD via HDMI and tested a mpeg4 Video from HDD and a DVD from the Multi-Drive in 1080p scale. Result : Both videos did not run smothly. Audio via HDMI works fine. When i used a 1080i scale everything was fine.
I downloaded CUDA Driver: NVIDIA Driver for Windows XP 32-bit 185.85 but this changed nothing. Then i switched to a XBMC-Live-USB solution, but with other problems, i will make a post in the corresponding Sub-Forum.

Greetings
ValHarris

As we don't (yet) have hardware acceleration of playback of media in windows. You will not be able to playback HD-content with an Ion board in windows.

What this thread was about was the GUI performance, which is accelerated in both windows and linux, in fact xbmc requires hardware 3d-acceleration for the gui. So the gui run both in CPU and in GPU.

The OP is wondering how the Ion board will perform in windows regarding the GUI, browsing through media or other user interface related stuff, not playback of media.
  • Livingroom - C2D E8400, P5N7A-VM on a Samsung 46" LE46M86 FullHD via HDMI
  • Kitchen - ASRock 330 HT Displayed on a Samsung Lapfit 22" dual touch screen LD220Z
  • Bedroom - LG Laptop on a 32" tv
>>X<<' Wrote:That's news to me

Yep I was thinking that..... Eek
mindweaver Wrote:XBMC GUI runs of your GPU not the CPU.

XBMC GUI uses OpenGL, so it's GPU accelerated but like all games, it uses CPU too.

About the review OP mentioned, I am wondering if they have all the ION drivers installed and GPU acceleration was enabled in XP. I'd think Atom 330 is fast enough to run the GUI with a bit of GPU assistance. May be ValHarris can share his experience about the GUI (not video playback. Playback wouldn't be pleasant for 1080p videos on Windows).
rexian Wrote:XBMC GUI uses OpenGL, so it's GPU accelerated but like all games, it uses CPU too.

About the review OP mentioned, I am wondering if they have all the ION drivers installed and GPU acceleration was enabled in XP. I'd think Atom 330 is fast enough to run the GUI with a bit of GPU assistance. May be ValHarris can share his experience about the GUI (not video playback. Playback wouldn't be pleasant for 1080p videos on Windows).

I´m pleased with the performance of the XBMC GUI under Windows XP. So i can use it for pictures and music, but without the possibility to play movies smothly its not a final solution for me.
ValHarris Wrote:Hello XBMC Forum, this is just my first post, so please be friendly Smile

Greetings
ValHarris

Just downloading NVIDIA drivers with CUDA will do nothing unless you enable CUDA in the software your using

Powerdvd and CoreAVC you need to enable it for it to work doesn't work if its off Laugh
I installed Ubuntu Remix 9.04 on my ASRock. I also installed the lates Nvidia Drivers and the lates XBMC.

I can't get any Sound via HDMI to my receiver. I tested everything mentioned in the forum but no sound. If I boot XBMC LIVE and change in settings to "hdmi" everything works perfect.

I'm a linux newbie. Is there anyone out there who has the same configuration an got HDMI-Sound working?
hackyli Wrote:I installed Ubuntu Remix 9.04 on my ASRock. I also installed the lates Nvidia Drivers and the lates XBMC.

I can't get any Sound via HDMI to my receiver. I tested everything mentioned in the forum but no sound. If I boot XBMC LIVE and change in settings to "hdmi" everything works perfect.

I'm a linux newbie. Is there anyone out there who has the same configuration an got HDMI-Sound working?

No, I tried everything too and got no where with sound through hdmi, although I also had this working in XBMC Live. In the end I just connected a SPDIF cable and it worked first time.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC - Asrock ION 3300