Very Odd Problem With TV Shows
Question 
1. Version: XBMC For Windows 9.04 Babylon
2. Windows Version: Windows 7 Release Candidate 1 (Build 7100)
3. CPU/Architecture: Intel Core Duo "Yonah" 1.73GHz dual core (x86)
4. RAM amount: 2GB
5. Video Card and Driver version: ATI Mobility Radeon X1300, Driver Version 8.561.0.0 (Windows Control Panel, don't know how to get "Catalyst Version")
6. Sound Card and Driver version: SigmaTel C-Major Audio, Driver Version 6.1.7100.0 (Microsoft driver)
7. Other devices related to issue: External hard drive, 1000GB (this is where the files are), mapped to R in Windows
7b: Computer Notes - Dell Inspiron E1505
250GB HDD, 1280x800 screen, clean install (no Dell junk)

Note: I suspect this is user error (my fault), not a problem with XBMC, but I am new here, and I have spent hours searching XBMC forums as well as Google. I have found nothing that helps me solve my problem.
Description of the Problem
1. Launch XBMC (this happens in both Windowed Mode and Fullscreen)
2. Click "Video."
3. Define a new "Source" in File View: this source is the folder with my TV shows, R:\TV. Name it "TV."
4. Set Content on the new source to TV shows, and select the IMDB-TV Database for scraper.
5. Scraper settings are default. Additional options set by me: Folder does NOT contain a single TV show, DO run an automatic scan.
6. Wait. Now, I did notice that the program is downloading information about various TV shows, including Futurama, Family Guy and Battlestar Galactica (2004), all of which appear in my "TV" folder.
7. The program has completed "scraping" information from IMDB-TV. I call up the Library for my TV shows.
8. This is where the weird begins. At the very top of the Library list is "..." which means "directory up." However, underneath that is a number (usually "2" but can be "3", "4" or other single digits, have not seen a double-digit number).
9. Weirdness Two: Some of the TV shows I saw the program downloading information for are not in my Library! Note that the files DO appear in the File View. Sometimes certain shows are named correctly, sometimes not. It seems to depend on what other folders are in the "TV" folder at the time that XBMC runs its scan. Example: Futurama, Family Guy and the Simpsons used to come through fine. But I moved all my Wallace and Gromit shows (since they seemed to be a problem). Now, none of these very well-known shows are tagged automatically (see below).
10. Right click on the "2" (or other obnoxious number) to correct it using Get TV Show Information. I can tell what the show actually is by looking at the file path. Now, I have made sure that (by looking it up on IMDB-TV in my browser) that all TV show folders are named exactly what the show is named on IMDB-TV minus any quotation marks around show titles. Example: Battlestar Galactica (2004) which was formerly just Battlestar Galactica.
11. The program downloads relevant information for the show, except weirdness begins again! Any time I have to manually download information for a show, its type is Animation / Short and its Date is 1601, despite everything else being correct.
12. The "2" (or whatever) disappears and the newly-renamed show is listed, but all is not well. As I mentioned in 9., there are some shows that were scanned correctly but then when I moved files around to try to solve the problem they ceased to be scanned correctly. By correctly I mean the auto-scraper got all the relevant information, all the episodes show up in Library View, and the like. However, after this attempt to get correct information (which as I sated in 11. doesn't work right), no episodes of the show appear! This despite it appearing correctly earlier.
13. Now there is another number below "...," usually incremented by one from the previous number (so in the "2" example we'd get "3"). This is usually another show that used to work right. Repeat steps 10-12. Some lesser-known shows (such as the Wallace and Gromit) don't download any data (even though it's there on IMDB-TV), the date of the show is set to 1601 and its type to Animation / Short.
14. Step 13 keeps appearing with numbers incrementing as XBMC seems to "find" new folders. I keep trying to edit these folders, but it doesn't work.

Solutions I've Tried
- Remove the TV source and re-add it, cleaning the Library afterward
- Add each show as its own Source. This doesn't work because when I do, no episodes show up!
- Remove certain shows from the TV folder. This causes the aforementioned problem of "2," "3" and the like. Shows that were fine before suddenly stop working.
- Restart the computer.

Debug Log
http://pastebin.com/f720d0002

The Movies have worked wonderfully. I'm not sure what's up with the TV shows. Again, I'm guessing it's my error, but I have no idea what that error might be...
I had a similar problem with "The Sopranos". My show "Dinosaurs" has 2 season recgonized both by XBMC. When I imported the sporanos it showed up as the number "1" rather then the title of the show. I asume this was because of season 1 which was the only one in the folder. I right clicked it and typed in the sporanos manually and it worked.
mccorkled Wrote:I had a similar problem with "The Sopranos". My show "Dinosaurs" has 2 season recgonized both by XBMC. When I imported the sporanos it showed up as the number "1" rather then the title of the show. I asume this was because of season 1 which was the only one in the folder. I right clicked it and typed in the sporanos manually and it worked.

Unfortunately for me the manual update does not work. It "updates" but sets the type to Animation / Short no matter what IMDB-TV says, as well as setting the original air date to 1601. Furthermore, no episodes show up of the show that was a number before I fixed it, even if the show had worked previously.
I highly recommend using tvdb rather than IMDB-TV. XBMC support is always up to date when using tvdb.

Re: the wallace and gromit shorts, I personally recommend changing those to movies, rather than TV. I've had better luck that way.
natethomas Wrote:I highly recommend using tvdb rather than IMDB-TV. XBMC support is always up to date when using tvdb.

Re: the wallace and gromit shorts, I personally recommend changing those to movies, rather than TV. I've had better luck that way.

Thanks for the tip! What do I do, though, if something is missing from TheTVDB? Garfield and Friends does not show up.

If I try creating a "combo" Library with one folder using TheTVDB.com scraper and another folder using the IMDB-TV scraper, I get the same problem as I described in my first post with shows having no information, 1601 air dates and zero episodes.

The debug log below is massive and had to be split in two parts, but it shows me working through with TheTVDB as the scraper for the first folder, then working (in vain) with the IMDB-TV to get data on "Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog (1992)," "Battlestar Galactica (2004)," "Control-Alt-Delete (2006)," "Firefly (2002)," "Garfield and Friends (1989)," and "Star Trek Deep Space 9 (1993)."

Log 1
http://pastebin.com/f29f71911

Log 2
http://pastebin.com/f4271329a

UPDATE 2: Have the same problem picking either of the other two scrapers! Get the "numbers" garbage and then no episodes showing up. Is it not valid to have ## - [Name].avi as the file, where ## is episode order, not season?
my problem ended up being I had it typed "The Sporanos" rather then "Sopranos"
my sound problem is still around
mccorkled Wrote:my problem ended up being I had it typed "The Sporanos" rather then "Sopranos"
my sound problem is still around

Believe me I've tried typing in different things... I've tried four different scrapers, multiple sources etc. The numbered shows can be "fixed" but then they disappear from the list as I said earlier. So if "2" is supposed to be BSG, I can hit Refresh, pick BSG (2004) and the number will disappear. So will the show. Then I get a new number. Same thing happens every time. If it doesn't come up on the first automated scan it's never showing up.

I found TheTVDB entry for Firefly (Fan-art, plot and all), but when I try pulling it I get no plot (even though TV Show Information says 1/2 pages). It shows blank. It shows blank for fanart and blank for any DVD-cover like image.

Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/f516a0323
You might try a more recent build. At least with Firefly, it looks like it is clearly downloading and gathering all the information. I'm not entirely certain why it wouldn't be displaying.

BTW, theTVDB only recognizes 14 episodes of firefly. It counts Episode 1 and 2 as just Episode 1.
natethomas Wrote:You might try a more recent build. At least with Firefly, it looks like it is clearly downloading and gathering all the information. I'm not entirely certain why it wouldn't be displaying.

BTW, theTVDB only recognizes 14 episodes of firefly. It counts Episode 1 and 2 as just Episode 1.

Do you mean a dev build, or is there a newer stable one that I missed?

Also I found a partial workaround for some of the shows that would not show up: I added each as its own source and used IMDB-TV. Correct information and art was loaded, but now it says 0 episodes - 0 unwatched. Will post debug log later.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Very Odd Problem With TV Shows0