[AppleTV] External Player usage on XBMC for Mac on Apple TV?
Question 
Hi all,

this is my first post, so let me just say that you guys are doing a great job for the community.

I am running XBMC r21866 on Apple TV 2.4.

Everything works great.But I would like to use XBMC for all my tasks. At he moment I am using nitoTV to stream rtsp.

I have recently discovered how to setup external player and while it works playing the stream, I can't stop it without ssh command to kill the process.

How are we suppose to stop external player on Apple tv?

I have also tried writing a plug-in, but I got stuck at not being able to stop the actual stream.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Zeljko
Amet Wrote:Hi all,

this is my first post, so let me just say that you guys are doing a great job for the community.

I am running XBMC r21866 on Apple TV 2.4.

Everything works great.But I would like to use XBMC for all my tasks. At he moment I am using nitoTV to stream rtsp.

I have recently discovered how to setup external player and while it works playing the stream, I can't stop it without ssh command to kill the process.

How are we suppose to stop external player on Apple tv?

I have also tried writing a plug-in, but I got stuck at not being able to stop the actual stream.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Zeljko

I use VLC / OSX to stream from MacMini to AppleTV running vlc in somekind of a Watchdog mode.

It is simple to swich back after playing finished. VLC has a switch --play-and-exit. Window Focus is going back to XBMC once ext. player window is closed.

I use this playercorefactory.xml:

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="externalplayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC</filename>
<args>--video-on-top --play-and-exit</args>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</player>
</players>
<forceontop>true</forceontop>
</playercorefactory>

Hope I could help
tvont Wrote:I use VLC / OSX to stream from MacMini to AppleTV running vlc in somekind of a Watchdog mode.

It is simple to swich back after playing finished. VLC has a switch --play-and-exit. Window Focus is going back to XBMC once ext. player window is closed.

I use this playercorefactory.xml:

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="externalplayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC</filename>
<args>--video-on-top --play-and-exit</args>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</player>
</players>
<forceontop>true</forceontop>
</playercorefactory>

Hope I could help

Thank a lot for you reply,

I have the same setup for external player on my ATV, the problem is that I stream from web, rtsp://.......

i created a .STRM file with rtsp address in it, and I activate external player by holding "menu" and selecting external player in "Play using..." .

While it works great I can't stop it using apple remote.I have to ssh in to apple TV and execute kill [PID] command to stop VLC.

I have put this in a script
Quote:import xbmc, xbmcgui, xbmcplugin, urllib2, urllib, re, string, sys, os,traceback

os.system(r"kill -9 `ps awx | grep [V]lc* | awk {'print $1'}`")

but I don't know how to map it to a remote control or if the script is correct at all. Sad

Thanks a lot
Zeljko
Amet Wrote:Thank a lot for you reply,

I have the same setup for external player on my ATV, the problem is that I stream from web, rtsp://.......

i created a .STRM file with rtsp address in it, and I activate external player by holding "menu" and selecting external player in "Play using..." .

While it works great I can't stop it using apple remote.I have to ssh in to apple TV and execute kill [PID] command to stop VLC.

I have put this in a script

but I don't know how to map it to a remote control or if the script is correct at all. Sad

Thanks a lot
Zeljko

did you try editing vlcrc and add the play and exit switch directly? The play-and-exit switch worked some time ago throu the arguments flag in the (advancedsettings)xml file, but with my current build I had to add that switch manually into the vlc config file (vlcrc...located below Preferences/VLC)
tvont Wrote:did you try editing vlcrc and add the play and exit switch directly? The play-and-exit switch worked some time ago throu the arguments flag in the (advancedsettings)xml file, but with my current build I had to add that switch manually into the vlc config file (vlcrc...located below Preferences/VLC)

The problem is that I have a live stream from net, as far I understand it it will never come to the end, so play-and-exit switch will never come to play.

Cmd+Q on apple will quit the program, how would I do the same thing on Apple TV?

Thanks
Zeljko

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] External Player usage on XBMC for Mac on Apple TV?0