No sound after stopping gdm.
My configuration is...

1) XBMC pre-9.10 r21881
2) Ubuntu 9.04
3) i686
4) PPM install
5) r21881(?)

My problem:
6) I have an older PC with an Audigy 2 ZS sound card. All audio is sent over a single s/pdif cable to my external audio receiver in passthrough mode. After a fresh install of standard desktop Ubuntu 9.04, sound works perfectly without any additional configuration. After installing xbmc, all sound works perfectly simply by setting "Audio output" to "Digital" in the "Settings-System-Audio Hardware" menu. All ac3 5.1 audio from movies gets correctly sent as digital-dolby; all mpgx audio get correctly sent to the receiver as PCM. Perfect.

Now I want to run the system as a standalone appliance, without the gnome desktop and everything else. I turn off gdm as per the instructions given elsewhere, add "startx" to my .bashrc and "xbmc --standalone" to my .xinitrc and reboot. After performing the console login, xbmc starts as expected. Except now, there is no audio at all. I drop back to the console, run alsamixer and find that the master sound volume has been muted. I make sure all channels are unmuted and set at 100%. Now only ac3 5.1 audio works correctly. There is no navigation sounds, no mpeg sounds, nothing from sources not encoded with 5.1 audio.

The crazy part is, even if I re-enable gdm and return to the full gnome desktop configuration, sound still doesn't work. I have to reinstall the OS.

I've reinstalled 3-4 times now but nothing seems to work. After gdm is disabled, most of my audio is gone. I'm mystified. Any clues?

7) the log files are gone since I reinstalled.
have your tried iecset audio on

BLKMGK has number of posts on this topic.
Yes I set it on, along with everything else.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No sound after stopping gdm.0