[XBOX] Need Dream List of XBOX Suggestions none too big or small
As per this thread jack: XBOX PSA TheQuestor has offered to have a psa on his popular website to help bring in coders for the xbox. Unfortunately the xbox build will not be participating GSOC so I need to material to replace the XBOX GSOC tasks and projects section of the wiki which were a great starting point for people who might have interest in starting to code for the xbox build. The "Smaller Tasks" should all be excellent starting points for the interested coder no matter what their end level of involvement will be.

I've been talking to a team member and he clearly stated that the current coders are becoming weary and that Team-XBMC would not officially support efforts to replace them, obliviously that means your help is desperately needed to re-energize the old blood and find new blood.

Also if you have a website and believe that XBMC for XBOX "has done you good" and and would like to help bring coders on board I've created the following post for a template message

Another reason I started this thread is for people to post dream projects for the xbox. There is no dream too big to post here, especially if it inspires somebody to come along, just remember that since were grounded in reality, a dream too large just won't ever happen and probably won't be added to the final edition of this post.

To start you guys off here is the following:
--------------------------------------------------

Smaller XBOX XBMC Tasks that need doing for those of less experience or to qualify to become a team member(inspired by the old wiki page)

Quote: * Update a few third-party library/module that XBMC for Xbox depends on and submit a patch for the update
o For example: libCDIO, CxImage, libcurl, libshout, libsamba, libPython, libSQLite, FileZilla (server), libDAAP, libfreetype (FreeType2), ffmpeg

* Fix enough bugs or submit good enough patches for smaller feature requests to show skill, see: http://trac.xbmc.org/

* You can find plenty of tickets specifically for xbox here http://trac.xbmc.org/report/14

Requests for intermediate to great experience:

Quote: * The XBMC for XBOX has always been running to the extreme and there is talk about reducing the features. The alternative of course is to find a better way to implement them.

*Along those lines there are videos that are corner cases(play for a few seconds and then stop or lag) due to memory and performance issues. Figure out what would be needed to get them to run and remove/add whats needed.

*Remove code and features to create a highly optimized performance/lite build that can play media better.

*A lot of work goes into the linux port and alot of fixes and neat features are found there, but some of it requires some crafty thinking to implement on the xbox, continue to keep the relevant stuff ported over.

*Enhance DVDPlayer to completely supersede mplayer's functionality

* Video fanart some more information can be found here http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55609 & http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/6978

* Find an effective virtual memory solution and implement it.

Grander Requests for the experienced Coders:

Quote: * Integrate Webkit developments from Linux or implement an alternative(main purpose to enable support the the next generation of webstreaming content)

* Better flash support independently or with above

* Increase the video decoding performance for specific formats and in general

* Further direct utilization of the XBOX hardware for the purpose of benefiting XBMC
In principle a good initiative, but I doubt whether there (new) people interested in reviving Xbox. Main problem for me is that it's almost impossible to do all Xbox stuff all by myself, especially since the amount of free time available for it on my side has decreased a lot lately. And next to that, the current stable version (9.04) is working really well on Xbox... Only thing that could still use improvement is ffmpeg/DVDPlayer, but that's stuff coming all from Linuxport anyway...
-= Team Kodi developer fueled by heavy metal =-
arnova Wrote:In principle a good initiative, but I doubt whether there (new) people interested in reviving Xbox.

I too do not know if their is somebody, but between an announcement for newer coders doing the simple stuff and a call for experience, and trying to get as much participation among as wide range as possible, hopefully a definite answer will be found, more defined if you know of anything or can do anything to help.

As far as my efforts I've got posts on several forums directing them towards here and http://trac.xbmc.org/report/14, the PSA on TheQuestor's site, and the person who does T3CH updater script has agreed to implement the PSA in their script also. I'm busy contacting other people, but its hit and miss. The only thing else would be to get something on the xbmc front or main page, but it doesn't seem like that is going to happen without some support. "<rwparris2> good luck, but you're not going to convince me or any of the other team members"(that was in response to just the small item of starter tasks for xbox xbmc coders on the wiki to replace the gsoc section and before I went on campaign). But I am hopeful you guys will see the effort I'm putting in and turn around.

arnova Wrote:Main problem for me is that it's almost impossible to do all Xbox stuff all by myself, especially since the amount of free time available for it on my side has decreased a lot lately.

I hear that loud and clear and it helps fuel my efforts(that and another thing that rwparris2 said which is why I'm doing it this way) so lets hope some individuals come along to get keep things going smoothly at least.

arnova Wrote:And next to that, the current stable version (9.04) is working really well on Xbox... Only thing that could still use improvement is ffmpeg/DVDPlayer, but that's stuff coming all from Linuxport anyway...
[/quote]

I'm aware of that, but now that the coders are starting to ignore the xbox's limits more and more, the features of the linuxport will be more and more difficult to port over, in some cases they will be completely incompatible. So an active developer is needed to find the custom tailored solutions to keep the xbox relevant. Webkit is just the tip of the iceburg, while right now alot of streaming works as it always had, the future of streaming will probably need Webkit or another custom solution(the streaming from pc is a workaround, but might be all that there is soon), but the xbox build would probably need an overhaul to support that, or a creative person to supplement what a webkit would provide, on the other hand if it doesn't it will have lost its pace with the future. The webkit is just the one I've seen recently, I'm sure as time goes on there will be more breakage in the functionality, of course I'll admit that there will come a point where it is irrelevant, but I'm hoping that point is not now.

One last item to give you some inspiration that there are XBOX coders who are actively bringing stuff into the future, RessurectionX, gilles9999, nes6502 have all been working to bring fixes and new features to the Xport emulators.
Quote:...none too big or too small

OK. Smile

Figure out how to get XDK to compile XBMC so that we can use DXVA and play h.264 and VC1 content.

On a more realistic note, I would suggest getting MKV chapter support working properly on xbox, and trying to port latest ffmpeg changes.

I applaud this initiative, and hope you can recruit some helpers for Arnova. I love the xbox too.

-Wes
it's TheQuestor
Main Rig [Scorpius] - Core i7 2600k @ 5Ghz. 16 Gig DDR3 1600. 1x HD 6990 1x HD 4870 Hackintosh [Chiana] - Core i5 @ 3.8Ghz. 12 Gig DDR3 Linux [Moya] - Core2 Duo E8200 - 2 Gigs DDR2 800 WHS [Zhaan] - DualCore [email protected] - 4 Gigs DDR2 800 VMC [Jothee] Core2 Quad @ 2.8Ghz 4 Gigs DDR2 800 VMC [Aeryn] Core2 E8400 @ 3.0Ghz 2 Gigs DDR2 800 2TB Server [Talyn] Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz - 8 Gigs DDR2 1066 FileServer [Crichton] P4 650 3.4GHz - 2 Gigs DDR
waldo22 Wrote:OK. Smile

Figure out how to get XDK to compile XBMC so that we can use DXVA and play h.264 and VC1 content.

On a more realistic note, I would suggest getting MKV chapter support working properly on xbox, and trying to port latest ffmpeg changes.

I applaud this initiative, and hope you can recruit some helpers for Arnova. I love the xbox too.

-Wes

When I get a chance I'll go through the trac and find the relevant tickets for at least the MKV chapter suggestion, that sounds like something that could get a person interested. I appreciate the support!

TheQuestor Wrote:it's TheQuestor

My sincerest apologies, I have hopefully corrected it everywhere I have editing abilities. There is no excuse for getting your name wrong and I value your help greatly.
waldo22 Wrote:OK. Smile

MKV chapter support is not Xbox specific, if it works in Linuxport, it should also work for Xbox, as long as one uses DVDPlayer. If it does not, it's a bug that needs fixing. And I will at least keep doing ffmpeg updates. FYI: I just did one, though it hasn't been committed to SVN yet...
-= Team Kodi developer fueled by heavy metal =-
Thanks Arnova. I know you've been working hard on it, so hopefully this will get someone to step up and help.

Here is the trac on Matroska chapters, and it still isn't closed:

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4740

Here's the thread on the subject:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=3...post318567

-Wes
xbmcfan1 Wrote:My sincerest apologies, I have hopefully corrected it everywhere I have editing abilities. There is no excuse for getting your name wrong and I value your help greatly.

No worries mate. Also just a note. BigBellyBilly has added the PSA to his awesome xbox updater script as well. So it should now reach even more people.

Not to hijack the thread but I am looking for someone to keep the PSA up to date. Or at least give me ideas what to put there after this one expires.

Craig
Main Rig [Scorpius] - Core i7 2600k @ 5Ghz. 16 Gig DDR3 1600. 1x HD 6990 1x HD 4870 Hackintosh [Chiana] - Core i5 @ 3.8Ghz. 12 Gig DDR3 Linux [Moya] - Core2 Duo E8200 - 2 Gigs DDR2 800 WHS [Zhaan] - DualCore [email protected] - 4 Gigs DDR2 800 VMC [Jothee] Core2 Quad @ 2.8Ghz 4 Gigs DDR2 800 VMC [Aeryn] Core2 E8400 @ 3.0Ghz 2 Gigs DDR2 800 2TB Server [Talyn] Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz - 8 Gigs DDR2 1066 FileServer [Crichton] P4 650 3.4GHz - 2 Gigs DDR
TheQuestor Wrote:No worries mate. Also just a note. BigBellyBilly has added the PSA to his awesome xbox updater script as well. So it should now reach even more people.

Not to hijack the thread but I am looking for someone to keep the PSA up to date. Or at least give me ideas what to put there after this one expires.

Craig
Don't you run the site? Just set it to not expire...
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
rwparris2 Wrote:Don't you run the site? Just set it to not expire...

I can do that, but I would prefer to add fresh content there often. If it is there more than a week, nobody will pay attention to it at all.
Yep for me it would also be GPU access to squeeeeeze the last ounce of horsepower out of the Xbox... Smile

But media flagging and possibly video fanart would be nice.... Wink
Geeba Wrote:Yep for me it would also be GPU access to squeeeeeze the last ounce of horsepower out of the Xbox... Smile

But media flagging and possibly video fanart would be nice.... Wink

I know that media flagging is being worked on.
http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53618

I'll add video fanart to the list, good luck on finding somebody.
Video Fanart is working just fine for me on the good old Xbox. I'm using Transparency! and have fanart for all my videos and games. To utilize fanart, you need a skin that uses it.

As far as media flagging is concerned, you could either used the Xbox Patched version in the SVN or use a skin-based media flagging system based off of the name and type of the file. Once again, Transparency! can do skin based media flagging.
When posting about a problem please submit a debug log to give you the best chance at getting an answer. It's easy, painless, and helps provide necessary information.
nicoli_k Wrote:Video Fanart is working just fine for me on the good old Xbox. I'm using Transparency! and have fanart for all my videos and games. To utilize fanart, you need a skin that uses it.

As far as media flagging is concerned, you could either used the Xbox Patched version in the SVN or use a skin-based media flagging system based off of the name and type of the file. Once again, Transparency! can do skin based media flagging.

Yep I have fanart working on all skins that support it - but not video (animated) fanart.... like here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=55609 - really like the look of this ... Cool

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBOX] Need Dream List of XBOX Suggestions none too big or small0