What do I need to for 1080p support?
Hey all. Been thinking about building a HTPC, need it to be as cheap as possible (I'm a struggling poor old student!). I need it to be able to support the following things:

* XBMC (duh)
* 1080p h.264 .mkv playback, no stuttering!
* IR receiver on case (preferably..)
* Toslink optical output to my 5.1 amp/decoder
* HDMI output to LCD
* Gigabit LAN
* As silent as possible
* A LCD 'status' screen on the case, again if possible or maybe through expansion

I already have all the hard drives and hope to house them in a NAS stoage elsewhere. Also, if possible, I'd like to run the OS off some kind of flash storage if that will lower power and noise.

Also, I'm debating whether to use Windows (Vista/7) or Linux (Ubuntu?)... I probably won't be using it for anything else but XBMC, so really all I care about is which boots into xbmc fastest!

Thanks in advance.
There are a few posts about this..

ION platform or a standard pc with newer Geforce cards running linux is the best solution for 1080 playback.
I'd go with a Zotac Ion Dual Core board, and run XBMC Live off a 1GB CF card.
Better of with atleast 4gb.. 8gb is even better (might need space for compiling updated drivers etc)
Thanks for the suggestion guys, also wondering what CPU / case / PSU / GFX / soundcard to get? Not if GFX or AUDIO if is onboard of course.
The zotac has a built in CPU.. Case is a personal thing, designwise.

PSU just get a quiet one Smile
blittan Wrote:The zotac has a built in CPU.. Case is a personal thing, designwise.

PSU just get a quiet one Smile
Oh, built in CPU! Never new there was such thing! Big Grin
Motherboard: ZOTAC Ion Atom Dual Core N330 +WiFi Motherboard ~£178.99
PSU: Onboard
GFX: Onboard
Sound: Onboard
LAN: Gigabit onboard

Now regarding the CF card, can it be any generic cheap make, or must it be one of quality? I'm guessing I'll also need a SATA to CF adapter and a MOLEX to SATAPOWER one too?

Also, how much RAM?
I wouldn't bother with the CF card. Just get a 2.5" sata hd as they are pretty cheap and have greater performance.(btw i think you need at least a 4gb drive for xbmc-live anyway) As for the ram, 2gb should be more than enough.

cheers.
harryzimm Wrote:I wouldn't bother with the CF card. Just get a 2.5" sata hd as they are pretty cheap and have greater performance.(btw i think you need at least a 4gb drive for xbmc-live anyway) As for the ram, 2gb should be more than enough.

cheers.
And all this will be able to play 1080p unstuttered, correct?

Also does any one have any reccomendation on cases... I've looked but all I can find are generic and I don't want to be disappointed like I was with the last case I bought.

Cheers
Kieron Wrote:And all this will be able to play 1080p unstuttered, correct?

Also does any one have any reccomendation on cases... I've looked but all I can find are generic and I don't want to be disappointed like I was with the last case I bought.

Cheers

Yes it will play all 1080p via vdpau no problems. Although personally i would go for a zotac socket 775 motherboard and get a intel e5200 cpu for better gui performance. As for the case i have one of these and its excellent.

cheers
What's the sound like on that PSU? I want to try my hardest to keep this all as silent as I can. Also, is that IR on the front? Can't really see very clearly, and IR is one of the main things I'm looking for.

Bit disappointed that it doesn't have an LCD or a blank bay where I could install one, but I'd be happy without I think.
Anyone?
harryzimm Wrote:Yes it will play all 1080p via vdpau no problems. Although personally i would go for a zotac socket 775 motherboard and get a intel e5200 cpu for better gui performance. As for the case i have one of these and its excellent.

cheers

Whats the PSU like that comes with that case?
I don't know about that case, probably not bad for a basic case, but ultimately you get what you pay for Smile , you can't expect a display and in-built IR at that price.

There is an article on LinuxTECH.NET about the best HTPC motherboards, which also includes a complete example HTPC build.

It might help you make up your mind on what to buy.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What do I need to for 1080p support?0