What do I need to for 1080p support?
ion_man Wrote:I don't know about that case, probably not bad for a basic case, but ultimately you get what you pay for Smile , you can't expect a display and in-built IR at that price.

There is an article on LinuxTECH.NET about the best HTPC motherboards, which also includes a complete example HTPC build.

It might help you make up your mind on what to buy.
Quote:We have excluded Atom+ION based boards from this selection. Although they are great for a Linux based HTPC too, they currently still have one drawback: Adobe Flashplayer doesn't support hardware accelerated HD-video playback yet, therefore they are unsuitable for playing Flash based Internet HD video streams (Hulu, BBC IPlayer, etc).
If you don't care about Flash based HD-video streams on your HTPC, then please have a look at our overview of all available Nvidia ION based products, too.

Is this true? I was hoping to use my HTPC for things such as BBC iPlayer etc... so I can't use Ion if I want it to work?
Is it safe to assume that the integrated video chips listed on the LinuxTECH article will be ok to use for streaming off hulu.com at 1080p? Also, is there any kind of established time frame for a fix for Ion to be ok with flash base streaming websites?
Kieron Wrote:Is this true? I was hoping to use my HTPC for things such as BBC iPlayer etc... so I can't use Ion if I want it to work?

The problem is the Adobe Flash plugin doesn't make use of hardware acceleration (VDPAU) yet, therefore the cpu has to do all the decoding and an Atom (even the dual core) is way too weak for that.
There are some promises from Adobe that they will add VDPAU support to the flash plugin, but no timescales.

So if Flash based HD video streaming is important for you, then chose one of the Nvidia 9300/9400 boards listed in that article, together with an E5300 cpu, the E5300 has the required power for it.
dlm4849 Wrote:Is it safe to assume that the integrated video chips listed on the LinuxTECH article will be ok to use for streaming off hulu.com at 1080p? Also, is there any kind of established time frame for a fix for Ion to be ok with flash base streaming websites?

Certainly, the integrated video chips don't really matter for Hulu as the Flash plugin currently doesn't make use of VDPAU, it's the cpu that needs to be adequate.
As far as I know the E5300 is enough for Hulu at 1080p, I haven't tested it myself though as I'm not in the States, so can't use Hulu.
Kieron--I'm trying to do exactly what you're doing, build a cheap HTPC used only for streaming 1080i / 1080p vids, and audio through XBMC. I have the same setup as you, HDMI needed from HTPC to back of plasma and digital coax or fiber optics straight to receiver.

Based on the info that you've gotten...did you build yours? What did you use? How's it coming along?
Yeah, I did build it, but was sold the wrong zotac revision (no wake on lan) so i brought the motherboard back and am yet to find another.

I used all the parts as listed above (I think).

Kieron
Kieron--

I dont really need wake on lan, but besides that, is it built and being used? How's the performance on 1080p? Do you remember the total $ spent?
You want it cheap, fast, or dependable?

pick 2.
cheap & dependable (only fast enough to play 1080p), I will not be using this for gaming at all.
given you budget and requirements this is what I would start with.

AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 45W $40
ASRock A780GMH/128M AM2+/AM3 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX $70

This cheap processor can be unlocked to an anthlon II which should handle hi-def and if not jam in a 9500GT for $40.

Picking a case is dependent on how much hard dirve storage you want as well as form factor and whether you want an efficient power supply.

It's not silent but is cheap and expandable I build one of these for my parents with a quad core.

As for IR recievers the ones that work out of box usuallly come with a remote like windows mce.

Personally I use a snapstream firefly which you does require you to mess with your lirc configuration in linux. I also an Iguanna IR usb transciever I use to control my cable box for mythtv which can also function as an IR reciever. Iguanna IR requires recompiling lirc and setting up lirc conf.

Back when I used to have my htpc in windows I used a Snapstream Firely and USB-UIRT and eventghost to program although I had mixed success with USB-UIRT in linux. All of these are external.

USB-UIRT $50
Iguanna works USB IR Transceiver $40
Snapstream Firefly $40 (RF so works through walls but only with included remote)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What do I need to for 1080p support?0