[ALL?] "Add source" could include WOL-settings for networked storage
Hi

First feature suggestion post here and with that I would like to take the opportunity to say that XBMC is a marvelous piece of software! Nod Great work! Big Grin

Maybe there are more people than me that would like to have their media stored on a separate server. Some people also implement their servers so that the sleep (suspend) when not used. In such a setting it would be marvelous if the "Add media" dialog/settings could incorporate:

a wake-on-lan feature per media source where MAC is either entered or auto-discovered(?)
a time-out value before assuming that the device is sleeping and thus needing wakeing
a dialog saying "Please wait while backend is waking up" or something similar

More ideas? Did I miss something? Huh

Cheers!
The idea is good... the way I handle this is currently by sending a WOL magic packet on system resume from standby. So that when I turn on the HTPC, the server is woken up as well.
Yes that works for some settings. More and more nowadays the focus is on power consumption. Look at the interest in / popularity of NViDIA Ion systems. In such a setting (and the one that I'm looking at) only some of the media is stored on a server (and I'm thinking of having more than one server) so I don't want my server box to wake unless there is a demand for media located on that server.

One addition to this suggestion is that the WOL information should be looked up everytime a media on a server is requested (I'm thinking library mode here, when it is not obvious which media file comes from which media source).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ALL?] "Add source" could include WOL-settings for networked storage0