No sound after Kernel upgrade
Hi list,

I didnt followed the mantra "If its working dont fix it" and made a kernel upgrade to 2.6.31 on a stock ubuntu 9.04. Everything was working great before that.

Since then I have no sound in playback of movie (SD and HD) and neither with mp3 music. Yes I feel really stupid Sad

I didnt change anything to my settings in xbmc. I have only compiled a new kernel and booted (successfully) on it. I have rebooted on the stock kernel with no luck for my sound problem. My A/V receiver seems to receive no sound signal as it is not anymore switching mode when receiving DTS, DD+ etc... Video playback is okay.

What can I do to troubleshot this ?
thanks a lot.

Here is my setup:

Hardware:
PoV 330 - ION
Sounds go from an HDMI output to an A/V receiver

Software:
Code:
xbmc@xbmc:~$ uname -a
Linux xbmc 2.6.28-13-generic #45-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jun 30 19:49:51 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

xbmc: XBMC pre-9.10 r22133 (12 August 2009)

Code:
xbmc@xbmc:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 Analog [ALC662 Analog]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC662 Digital [ALC662 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1

(I followed the "HOW-TO make a minimal install of Ubuntu on Acer Revo ION in under 25 minutes" for my setup)
Okay I am definitively not a nobel's price winner.

For whatever reason my sound output was muted by the kernel upgrade. I've been in alsamixer and unmuted it.

Everything's working now.

Sorry
+1

45 minute to search why no sound ...
There are a command to set master channel to unmute by script ?
i've always found that once i unmute a channel it just gets saved that way without having to script it.... i've never understood why everyone talks about needing to script it.
the solution for me :

use sudo alsamixer to set sound as you like
then record your config with sudo alsactl store on next reboot the sound will be resored /etc/init.d/alsa-utils.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No sound after Kernel upgrade0