No skin sounds
I've installed XBMC live and for some reason I don't hear any skin sounds. I've tried both PM3HD and Media Stream Redux.

I'm using HDMI connection to the TV and set sounds to be downmixed. Default audio device is configured as plug:hdmi.

Movies and Music have no issues with sound. Is it because I'm using HDMI for sound?
It's been discussed before. It is a combination of the delay in receiver outputting sound, and XBMC not outputting a signal at all times.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...nd+digital
Uhh...not exactly true...

SDL_mixer (which is used for nav sounds) doesn't allow for any manual selection of the audio device. You must set your default audio device to hdmi with a ~/.asoundrc file.

With this done I get nav sounds from both hdmi and spdif outputs. It does miss a few after a idling for a bit due to the problem maxim described, though.
Thanks guys, I'll do some research on that. I tried searching yesterday and apparently wasn't searching for the correct terms.
I ended up getting it working, had to do the following:

sudo pico /home/xbmc/.asoundrc
and added the following into the file:

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
}
}
i've been trying to tell people this for months! Wink

i'd also like to add that when you do this, what you are doing is slaving the hdmi off of your analog ("default") device.

there is an additional benefit to this. no one seems to really talk about it, but in my experience, the hdmi device itself does not support as many bitrates as the analog device. you can see this by doing a 'cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0' and comparing it to 'cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#3' codec#0 being the default/analog device and codec#3 being the hdmi.

so, what does this all mean? well, i found that if i set xbmc to use the hdmi device, if i played a mp3 which has a bitrate that is unsupported by the hdmi device, i would see errors in the xbmc.log and it would play the file at the nearest supported bitrate. (ie, 44100 would play at 48000) however, when you set xbmc to use the default/analog device and slave the hdmi off that, it forces the audio to be resampled so that your music doesn't sound like chipmunk music.
gabbott Wrote:I ended up getting it working, had to do the following:

sudo pico /home/xbmc/.asoundrc
and added the following into the file:

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
}
}

And what to do if I have an digital optical output?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No skin sounds0