HTPC with motherboard "Point of View POV/ION330-1"
Hy folk,

what do you think about the Point of View Motherboard?

http://geizhals.at/?cat=mb1ppga_ddr&xf=1...Force+9400

It's very cheap as you can see in the link (119€)

I am thinking about building a HTPC just for XBMC (720p and 1080p), Internet Surfing, JDownloader, Google Earth, etc.

Do you think that all this will work without performance problems on this Motherboard? (with 2 Gig RAM and a 8 Gig USB Stick as Boot Drive)?

I think on Windows (DXVA) it won't run, but on Ubuntu (VDPUA) it should, or not?

best regards
Thumbs Up 
I haven't used it myself, but I have seen people using it with XBMC/Linux without problems so I see no reason why it shouldn't do what you want it to do.

Just remember it needs laptop RAM (SoDIMM) not normal desktop PC RAM.
@ion_man

that's not completly true.

The POV/ION330 has SoDIMM RAM, but the POV/ION330-1 has normal DDR2 RAM.
holgenoni Wrote:@ion_man

that's not completly true.

The POV/ION330 has SoDIMM RAM, but the POV/ION330-1 has normal DDR2 RAM.

Sorry my mistake, I wasn't aware that there is a new updated version available!
What do you think, shell i use USB Stick or HDD as installation drive?

I would use this USB Stick: OCZ Rally2 8GB

or

this HDD: Samsung SpinPoint MP2 120GB

Best regards
andy
holgenoni Wrote:Hy folk,

I am thinking about building a HTPC just for XBMC (720p and 1080p), Internet Surfing, JDownloader, Google Earth, etc.

Do you think that all this will work without performance problems on this Motherboard? (with 2 Gig RAM and a 8 Gig USB Stick as Boot Drive)?

I think on Windows (DXVA) it won't run, but on Ubuntu (VDPUA) it should, or not?

best regards

Good price, mine cost 139€

It can run OK XBMC but I do NOT recommend it because POV considerate this MB a "beginners" one, so the BIOS is very basic and they have told they have no plans to improve it. That would not be a great problem except that it does NOT allow things like wake on USB that I think is very important if you want to switch your HTPC with an infrared remote, for example.

The zotac (that cost 141 here, only 2€ more than the POV and includes wifi) not only has a much more advanced BIOS that allows wake on USB, but they are actively improving it; yesterday a new version appeared that allows overclocking the GPU, that could be very interesting to watch high-bitrate 1080p without dropping frames!

POV is a brand I intend to skip in all my future hardware adquisitions, I think they do not care enough for their customers.
Hi,

you mean the ZOTAC ION ITX A or D?
What are the differences?

For me the ITX-D sounds better because of the passive cooling!
I can get the D for 140€, this would be also ok for me!
holgenoni Wrote:Hi,

you mean the ZOTAC ION ITX A or D?
What are the differences?

For me the ITX-D sounds better because of the passive cooling!
I can get the D for 140€, this would be also ok for me!

The Zotac ION 330; "A" means that it has a power supply included, the "D" needs an external one. With "A", there is a connector for up to 3 hard disks; "D" just has a standard 24 pin connector.

I do not recommend pasive cooling for the hole system; unless the site is really cool and the case has some kind of heat spreader, you need one fan in the case, the one in the power supply or the one in the motherboard that also has the power supply.

I have one 80mm very silent (I cannot tell "by ear" if the computer is on when the hard disk is idle, with my head at 50cm from the computer) in the case and have take out all the others, I suggest you do something like that. One fan, even if is not big and rotating very slowly, makes a HUGE difference on the matter of cooling. Going completely fanless needs lots of attention and is prone to have hungs and/or hardware failures in few months.
holgenoni Wrote:Hy folk,

best regards

Did you ever build a htpc around this board? Also where'd you get it? I can't find it in the UK so I'm thinking I might have to look further afield (typical when the pound is so crap again the euro right now!)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC with motherboard "Point of View POV/ION330-1"0