Please...make it stop freezing!
Ubuntu 9.04 Kernel 2.6.28-15-generic
Installed xbmc-live package and extras from team-xbmc-svn ppa's
Dell Optiplex SX270 with Intel 945 GPU
Using Intel graphics drivers from ppa.launchpad.net/g-christ/ppa/ubuntu
Samba version 3.3.2
i686 Architecture

debug log: http://pastebin.com/f377f9190

Running Aeon Auriga skin from git, commit 363709fe3596ae00b53f4ccfdd5861900c5b8779 submitted Thu, Jul 16, 2009

Cycled around the menu a few times and it worked ok, then tried to open video plugins, ok, then accessed apple movie trailers lite and it locks up. Display is completely frozen. I can still ssh into the box, but attempting to do something useful from ssh (like "ps aux | grep x", etc...) causes it to start displaying the output of ps, and then hang. I can re-ssh in, do ls, even do top (does not even show xbmc.bin on the list when sorting by CPU time, xbmc.bin is top when sorting by MEM at 16.6%. Top shows 0% cpu usage overall. Running just a plain ps prints out most of the processes, and then freezes, last few lines before freezing:
Code:
root      2650  0.0  0.1   3480  1032 ?        Ss   11:37   0:00 /usr/sbin/cron
root      2679  0.0  0.0   1808   532 ?        Ss   11:37   0:00 /sbin/getty 38400 tty1
xbmc      2693  0.0  0.0   1872   504 ?        S    11:37   0:00 sh /home/xbmc/.xsession
xbmc      2713  0.0  0.0   4784   604 ?        Ss   11:37   0:00 /usr/bin/ssh-agent /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session sh /home/xbmc/.xsession
xbmc      2716  0.0  0.0   3144   696 ?        S    11:37   0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session sh /home/xbmc/.xsession
xbmc      2717  0.0  0.0   2672   732 ?        Ss   11:37   0:00 //bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session

(It doesn't only do this when going into apple trailers lite, that's just what I did this time to cause the problem).
Do you have the same problems using PM3 or PM3HD?
I switched to PM3.HD and tried fiddling around. It definitely took longer than the last time it froze, but the same thing still happens. Side note: Right before it freezes the debug info at the top of the screen shows:
CPU0: 100% CPU1: 100% CPU-XBMC 82.95%
SSH'ing into the box and running top, then sorting by memory usage brings xbmc.bin to the top of the list, using about 17.5% of memory. More importantly, it's status is listed as D - uninterruptible sleep. Any way I can find out what it's waiting for?
Try killing xbmc.bin with signal 11 to generate a core and get us a stack trace. You may need to enable cores with "ulimit -c unlimited" in the launching terminal.
Ok, did a kill -1 of the xbmc.bin pid, where does it typically dump the core to?
$PWD. If it didn't (it will say something along the lines of "segmentation fault (dumping core)"), then you need to run that ulimit command in the terminal prior to launching xbmc.
Ok, I'm running xbmc-live, so I let it load, exit via the shutdown menu, log in as xbmc, type:
Code:
ulimit -c unlimited
it doesn't say anything, just returns me to a prompt, at which I type
Code:
/etc/init.d/xbmc-live start
xbmc starts up, I get it to freeze (it's rather easy at the moment Wink ) and then I ssh into the box and use top to find the xbmc pid (because using `pidof xmbc.bin` will hang the terminal). Then I type
Code:
kill -11 2395
or whatever the pid is. It returns me to a prompt without printing anything, and I have no core. I've tried doing the kill as user xbmc, as root, and as another user, with/without sudo, and I don't get any output. My guess is because it's status is uninterruptable sleep, so I think it's ignoring kill requests. Any other ideas?
Hunt the script that actually launches xbmc.bin (probably /usr/bin/xbmc) and slip the ulimit line in there.
No good. I found the script, it's /usr/bin/runXBMC I added the ulimit line into the script, rebooted, hung the system, gave it a SIGSEV, and still didn't get any output. Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help,
I have exactly the same problem and symptoms. same ubuntu and xmbc versions.
I've noticed it happens more often when downloading scrapers for new content.

Any help is highly appreciated
My inclination as computer engineer is that it's a problem with the video drivers. What video card do you have in your box? Also, does it freeze up when just using ubuntu? That might be a good thing to know, if it's just XBMC, then we know it's an XBMC problem, but if it happens somewhere else this might not be the place to look for answers unless they make an [Intel 865] section of the forum.
I have Intel MB DG41RQ with built in Video Driver Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500.
It's worth mentioning that:
1- It only happens with XBMC
2- It almost never happens when watching a movie with XBMC
3- It almost always happens when leaving XBMC to download new movie information
4- It never happens with Boxee
Hello,

I have exactly the same problem (ininterrupted sleep xbmc and freeze) on the same Ubuntu/XBMC version
I have a Gigabyte G41M with also a Intel X4500 installed
Any solutions? I'm having the same problem... only when scanning for new media...

Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Please...make it stop freezing!0