Playing a rar-archive compaired to .mkv source
Question 
Hi!

Is there any disadvantage of playing an unrared archive instead of packing it up and play the .mkv source?

I'm having some troubles with playing 1080p movies on an AsRock 330 ION. I didn't expect it to lag at all. Even though when playing full-hd movies it lags. Especially Planet Earth.

Do you guys install some codecs or anything else except just the XBMC Live version?

Don't really know how to get the version info of xbmc but this is what is says under system info:
Linux 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP
XBMC Live 9.04.1
have you enabled VDPAU?
  • Livingroom - C2D E8400, P5N7A-VM on a Samsung 46" LE46M86 FullHD via HDMI
  • Kitchen - ASRock 330 HT Displayed on a Samsung Lapfit 22" dual touch screen LD220Z
  • Bedroom - LG Laptop on a 32" tv
it will definitely put an extra load on the cpu but that's irrelevant with vdpau (xbox had no issues with it, so i doubt the ion would either)
watzen Wrote:have you enabled VDPAU?
Yes, I have. I followed this guide.

So if the Asrock has the hardware required to play hd-movies, both rared and unrared - what can be the problem then with the lags?
who knows... oh yes, a debug log knows, silly me (or you?)
spiff Wrote:who knows... oh yes, a debug log knows, silly me (or you?)
Should I try to create a new fresh log file (if so, how?) or just post the one available? It's kinda big, 139kb.
keep it as minimal as possible. make sure to enable debug logging in system settings. and use pastebin.ubuntu.com or the likes.
spiff Wrote:keep it as minimal as possible. make sure to enable debug logging in system settings. and use pastebin.ubuntu.com or the likes.
Alright. I cleared the log file and enabled debug logging. The first time the computer freezed so I had to restart it. But here's the log from a clean startup until playback of Sixth Sense 1080p (laggy).

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/263728/plain/

Let me know if that's of any use.
I'm far from an authority on this, but you might wish to look at your log and note the PulseAudio and accompanying CDDVDAudio errors. I assume you're using an HDMI audio passthrough (Actually, I see it in your log?). PulseAudio does not and as far as I'm aware has no intention of supporting pass-through audio, which has been a plague to many of us on the forums. So that would be one place to start looking.

Also, you're playing this out of your /home/ directory it seems by the mounting, but that's a separate volume than your root partition. I just want to be sure and understand that this is a second proper SATA hard disk or another volume on the primary disk, and not USB or something? That might be in the log but if so I can't deduce.

Just trying to clear up some more obvious things beforehand Smile
Da_dego Wrote:I'm far from an authority on this, but you might wish to look at your log and note the PulseAudio and accompanying CDDVDAudio errors. I assume you're using an HDMI audio passthrough (Actually, I see it in your log?). PulseAudio does not and as far as I'm aware has no intention of supporting pass-through audio, which has been a plague to many of us on the forums. So that would be one place to start looking.

Also, you're playing this out of your /home/ directory it seems by the mounting, but that's a separate volume than your root partition. I just want to be sure and understand that this is a second proper SATA hard disk or another volume on the primary disk, and not USB or something? That might be in the log but if so I can't deduce.

Just trying to clear up some more obvious things beforehand Smile
Thanks for the analysis. Smile I correctly use HDMI for video and audio transfer to the tv. And I don't really know where to start looking since this is completely new to me.

What do you mean with the partition? Do I have two? When I booted the computer with XBMC Live on a disc it asked me if I wanted to do formatting of the drive and create one (1) partition. I only have one harddrive. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playing a rar-archive compaired to .mkv source0