[Linux] or maybe [Windows 7] - Which
Folks,

I am building two HTPC's specifically for XBMC. My concern is responiveness and highest definition output.

I am set with motherboard (ZOTAC GF9300-G-E LGA 775), processor, HD, most of the other choices.

MY QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO OS AND RAM.
  • I can load Win7
  • I can load Linux
Never having loaded or used linux, I have a bias towards Win7 64bit (which I am using on both my NAS storage servers).

My guess is that I can install less RAM if I go with Linux, resulting in cost savings.

So, the ultimate question to life, the universe and everything...

Which shall I load? Oo

I know that this is a bit of a possible flame war topic, but I really want to know if there is any pro's or con's on an OS as it relates to XBMC.

Additionally, minimum ram recommendation would be good. (1GB w/ Linux? 2 GB with Win7?)

Please, if this has been covered before, I will gratefully accept a link as an answer as well.

Thanks!!!

V.
i would start with the live-usb (based on linux).
if it suits you, good; if not there is no risk because it is free (consider a donation).
then buy win7 load it and hopefully that would suit your needs.
Good suggestion.

However, the price of the OS is not an issue, as I have a subscription the MS Technet.

In this case, Win7 will cost me nothing. (Legally nothing, which is nice)

So, same questions: Which ? How much memory ? Any difference to the actual XBMC application ?

I have to tell you, from some of the threads that I have seen of folks discussing linux, it seems to be written in an entirely different language. Eek

I realize that XBMCLive on USB simplifies this, but really, how much is the learning curve? I have always tweaked my windows install, but from what I have seen with folks working on a linux system, they get right down to the kernel.

And that does not seem at all wife-friendly.... (and right now, she loves the XBMC on XBOX installs)
One big question. What kind of CPU do you have? If you want HD in Windows, your CPU will have to be up to spec. XBMC can only leverage the GPU for HD processing in Linux and only if the GPU is of a specific set of cards made by NVIDIA. Plus, the NVIDIA card should have 512 mb RAM allocated to it.

Beyond those factors, there should really be very minimal difference between the windows and linux version of XBMC. Following schneidz advice is probably the best idea. Look at both and decide which you like.

Edit: Just saw your most recent post. Tweaking XBMC for Linux is one of those things that people can do if they want. If you are really lucky, you'll be able to load XBMC Live and everything will just work. If that happens, then there will never be any need to look further into the kernel or anywhere else.
natethomas Wrote:One big question. What kind of CPU do you have? If you want HD in Windows, your CPU will have to be up to spec. XBMC can only leverage the GPU for HD processing in Linux and only if the GPU is of a specific set of cards made by NVIDIA. Plus, the NVIDIA card should have 512 mb RAM allocated to it.

Good question.

The motherboard is a ZOTAC GF9300-G-E.

The processor that I will put into this is an Intel® Pentium® dual core Processor E6300 (2M Cache, 2.80 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)

The Zotac MB has a NVIDIA GeForce 9300 as part of the board itself.

The specs are:
Onboard Graphics support
* Integrated 300MHz DAC for analog displays with resolutions up to 1920x1440 at 75Hz.
* Support Hybrid SLI to increase graphics performance with GeForce® Boost
* Integrated GeForce 9xxx Series GPU,Supports DX10
* VGA / DVI-D / HDMI output support(optional)

Integrated HDMI Interface with HDCP
* Support Dual link DVI,resolutions up to 2560x1600 (PCB Ver:03,04)
* Support Single link DVI,resolutions up to 1920x1440 (PCB Ver:00,01 only)
* Supports DVI or HDMI 1.3 interfaces
* Secure digital audio merged from integrated HDA codec with no external audio signals required
* Support for HDCP 1.3 using soft or hard HDCP keys
* HDCP encryption support when configured as DVI or HDMI link without the need for external HDCP key crypto ROM

So, I think that I am good with both processor power and graphics.

Right ?

v.
Yup. I'd try it out with both and see which you like. Good setup.
Thanks Nate.

Appreciate your reply.

I'll blog my build, and put up a link in the hardware forum one I have something worth reading.

v.
I am a Microsoft man, but go with XBMCLive.

If you want a wife friendly solution, then you need to treat your media centre as an appliance (like a DVD Player).

In this case you dont care about the OS, in fact you dont want to see it.

I dont have linux skills, but I can read these forums and have setup XBMCLive to replace my XBOX in the lounge room.

To save some money/heat/noise you should get a very low lower CPU, like the Celeron 440. This is only 35w max which makes it quiet and still fast enough for XBMCLive (because of the GPU acceleration)

Go with 2 gig of ram, 2x1gig sticks. The memory in dual channel is a bit faster and the memory IS a bottleneck for the Nvidia9300. Two sticks will squeeze a tiny bit more performace from it. Also dedicate 512meg to the video.
kortina Wrote:I am a Microsoft man, but go with XBMCLive.

If you want a wife friendly solution, then you need to treat your media centre as an appliance (like a DVD Player).

<snip>

Go with 2 gig of ram, 2x1gig sticks. The memory in dual channel is a bit faster and the memory IS a bottleneck for the Nvidia9300. Two sticks will squeeze a tiny bit more performace from it. Also dedicate 512meg to the video.

Awww... you know, I was really torn on that one...

I just ordered 2x2GB RAM (one for each machine), and I was thinking... well, I can always go with 2GB, and that would allow me to add another 2GB later...

...even though I am aware of a throughput increase with Dual Channel memory.

Oh well, wadayagonnado. Oo

Since I am building two machines, maybe I can do a back-to-back test of both OS options, and throw that into the blog as well.

May make for interesting reading to the sliver of the population like us that likes to mess with these things.

I am sure (checking the forums, as you say) that there is likely a way to get Win7to boot into XBMC directly.

Thanks!

v.

ps... already purchased the processors a while back. Celeron does have it's benefits, but I just want to make sure that I pack a bit more punch into this.

After all, the wife might like to have a 52" capable web browing experience. (OK... maybe it's ME that would. Nod )
Anyone had any luck dual booting Win7 and Linux or XBMCLive?

I'm just diving into the HTPC world and haven't built a dedicated box yet - but it seems that is what I would want to do. Run Win7 for web browsing and certain apps (maybe some emus) and boot to linux (or xbmclive) for its VDPAU abilities. Is there a reason I am missing that this wouldn't work?
Dual booting should work perfectly well. In fact, if you start with a Windows install, you can use Wubi to install Ubuntu, and then you wouldn't even have to partition your harddrive. Alternately, you can install Live on a thumbdrive and dual boot using that.

Many relatively simple possibilities exist.
for some reason the live-usb cant install to an empty partition (it can only wipe out the internal disk with the usb image). nate's suggestion of installing a xbmc on a small linux partition makes a lot of sense -- i dont know how to autostart xbmc to make it feel like the live version..
my nvidia ion board has usb headers that you can custom solder to a usb thumdrive inside of the board. i am considering doing that.
there is no grub boot option to boot the internal harddrive. in fedora 11 live-usb there is a grub boot option that says boot locally and if you highlight it and select 'e' it would show
Code:
.localboot 0xffff
i havent tried it with xbmc live-usb; does anyone know if that would work.

also to run any linux program, i've been doing this:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=429429&postcount=5

also like any normal live-cd/ dvd/ usb/ sd, ejecting the boot media will allow the computer to boot normally off the harddrive.
i guess pulling the thumb drive from behind the htpc isnt that cumbersome.
natethomas Wrote:Dual booting should work perfectly well. In fact, if you start with a Windows install, you can use Wubi to install Ubuntu, and then you wouldn't even have to partition your harddrive. Alternately, you can install Live on a thumbdrive and dual boot using that.

Many relatively simple possibilities exist.

this is how i have my spare laptop set up for use in the bedroom.

win7 installed to the hdd, xbmc live installed to a 4gb usb drive which i have updated to svn. all media is stored on the main machine out in the living room and this one just streams when im watching stuff at night.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] or maybe [Windows 7] - Which0