How does one rollback to an older version of XBMC?
Hi,

Just updated to the recently released alpha version and found out right away a bug that annoys me; like really high spike in CPU usage everytime I start a video file compared to the older version (which results in a delay). So I thought instead of creating a help thread about that/my bug I want to rollback and wait until a final realese will be ready, hopefully that bug or whatever it is will be sorted out.

So.. how does one install an older version?

I know this is more of a linux question, but I don't even know where to find older versions of xbmc (I'm using PPA).

Thanks
Anyone? (I second this question ...)

Have been using xbmc for a substantial amount of time on a very old laptop connected to my TV, and the new alpha version (which I installed by accident through a ubuntu upgrade that I quickly dismissed and let run ... I know, my mistake) just uses 100% cpu and becomes non-responsive.

I don't want to bother writing bugreports about ancient hardware, I would just like to get back to enjoying xbmc ... Sad

Why is there no rollback option on the ppa sites?
apt-get remove xbmc xbmc-common

then

ls -lrt /var/cache/apt/archives/xbmc-common_9.04.3+svn2*

see the version you like then dpkgi -i the version you want, example

dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/xbmc-common_9.04.3+svn23842-karmic1_i386.deb /var/cache/apt/archives/xbmc_9.04.3+svn23842-karmic1_i386.deb /var/cache/apt/archives/xbmc-skin-pm3-hd_9.04.3+svn23842-karmic1_i386.deb /var/cache/apt/archives/xbmc-web-pm3_9.04.3+svn23842-karmic1_i386.deb
Thanks, but I must have cleaned up the apt archive at some point. All that is there is the newer version ... Sad

Is there really nowhere these packages can be downloaded?
what is your architecture / ubuntu version?
If you go here: superseded packages
(You get there by filtering for "superseded" packages, in the "all packages" page.)

From there, you'll have to find the build you want, download the packages you need, and "dpkg -i" them.
dc2447 Wrote:what is your architecture / ubuntu version?

Old Dell Inspiron 8600 with 5-series Nvidia graphics, which is below the stated xbmc requirements, but used to work fine if you were a bit careful with resolutions and such. With the new 9.11-alpha release, the videos still play fine, but the interface is extremely slow to respond.

Ubuntu is Jaunty.

But it was never my intention to hijack this thread, I jut wanted to be able to rollback, and am glad to see someone else also bringing up this issue in the ppa sticky-thread.
kitlaan Wrote:If you go here: superseded packages
(You get there by filtering for "superseded" packages, in the "all packages" page.)

From there, you'll have to find the build you want, download the packages you need, and "dpkg -i" them.

Starting to feel pretty stupid here, but I can't find the packages to download ... Rolleyes

Edit: I guess I wanted a version that was too old ....
mamira Wrote:Starting to feel pretty stupid here, but I can't find the packages to download ... Rolleyes

Edit: I guess I wanted a version that was too old ....

You click on the title/triangle of the version you want (for example, "xbmc - 9.04.3+svn24020-jaunty1"). Then there will be a list of files under "Package files". You'll want to download the ones correct for your architecture (amd64 or i386). Plus just the packages that you want installed...

It looks like the PPA contains builds going all the way back to 2008, wow!
kitlaan Wrote:You click on the title/triangle of the version you want (for example, "xbmc - 9.04.3+svn24020-jaunty1"). Then there will be a list of files under "Package files". You'll want to download the ones correct for your architecture (amd64 or i386). Plus just the packages that you want installed...

It looks like the PPA contains builds going all the way back to 2008, wow!

No it doesn't. Go ahead and check it. Last available version is 9.04.3+svn23842.

I already tried 9.04.3+svn24207 but no help there. I'm now trying 9.04.3+svn23842 but I'm wondering if a different (ubuntu) update screwed me ...
mamira Wrote:No it doesn't. Go ahead and check it. Last available version is 9.04.3+svn23842.

I already tried 9.04.3+svn24207 but no help there. I'm now trying 9.04.3+svn23842 but I'm wondering if a different (ubuntu) update screwed me ...

Huh, you're right. I clicked on one from mid 2009 and it had packages; must've been a fluke since all the others don't.

Myself, I'm running with a package "hold" on the svn24020 version (and kept a copy of the debs around just in case).
It would be swell if someone could post old packages from before the 100% CPU bug. Right now I'm kind of stuck with no working XBMC in either Karmic or Jaunty.
kitlaan Wrote:Myself, I'm running with a package "hold" on the svn24020 version (and kept a copy of the debs around just in case).

I think I'm in the same boat as the people from this thread (<a href="http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=59031">link</a>), but I can't seem to locate any deb's from early enough ... Sad

I've been able to compile 9.04.1.0.20844 and 9.04.2+svn22528 myself, and I'm sticking with that last one (although the transfer seems to have screwed with my library.

I can't believe how much work this has been ...
Dedas Wrote:It would be swell if someone could post old packages from before the 100% CPU bug. Right now I'm kind of stuck with no working XBMC in either Karmic or Jaunty.

Agreed, but since I won't do it myself, I'm not gonna complain too hard ... Wink
Found this is the sticky PPA thread if anyone else is interested but got stuck here ...

https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archiv...ter=jaunty

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How does one rollback to an older version of XBMC?0