Can’t run sudo after alpha 2 upgrade
I am running Ubuntu 9.11 “karmin” and have just upgraded my XBMC from Alpha 1 to Alpha 2 which seems to be working fine but since the upgrade, sudo no longer works and I get the following error:

>>> /etc/sudoers: Alias `' already defined near line 36 <<<
>>> /etc/sudoers: Alias `' already defined near line 37 <<<
sudo: parse error in /etc/sudoers near line 36
sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting

I am a novice when it comes to linux and I seem to be in a catch 22 situation were I don’t have permission to edit the sudoers file as xbmc user and I cant sudo as it fails’.

Can any one help me with my problem?
Delete the dupe entry in /etc/sudoers.
shassino: And how, exactly, do you propose that he does that? :p

This is a known (rather nasty) problem with a2, lcapriotti is well aware.

TheUni
Boot into single user mode and edit the file from there (you will be dropped into the root account in single user mode.)
prae5 Wrote:Boot into single user mode and edit the file from there (you will be dropped into the root account in single user mode.)

Please excuse my ignorance as I am new to Linux, I have installed mini Ubuntu. How do I boot into single user mode?
GTS300 Wrote:Please excuse my ignorance as I am new to Linux, I have installed mini Ubuntu. How do I boot into single user mode?

Found answer on internet, all ok now.
Can you please tell which method you found on internet? I have the same problem after upgrading to Alpha 2. I am booting off a usb stick.

GTS300 Wrote:Found answer on internet, all ok now.
I heard the answer is in the su command or the safe mode boot. If you plug your usb stick into another computer, can you edit the files? If so, then you may be able to manually remove the duplicate lines from your /etc/sudoers file
Boot into recovery mode on your linux install (press esc during the grub countdown).

Edit the sudoers file to remove the double xbmc entry (/etc/sudoers).

reboot.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can’t run sudo after alpha 2 upgrade0