Hickups/stuttering on ION. Caused by caching?
jason32835 Wrote:Out of desperation, I literally plucked the xorg.conf from post #23 here and now I am getting nice smooth motion and no jumps or stutters. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=54685&page=3

I did the same and it has helped with my issues, but I still have minor stuttering and dropped frames, particularly near the beginning of files. Here's a log I just had with about 30 dropped frames in the first minute of a modestly encoded HDTV rip.

http://pastebin.com/m1ad7c8be

I was getting perfect playback (at least to my eyes) with my previous setup based on the last stable release of XBMC Live, but before going back, I'd like to see if this is fixable.
Just for fun, you might want to check that your settings are the same as mine.

I have:

Vertical blank sync: Let driver choose
Adjust display to match.. : Yes
Sync playback to display: Yes
A/V Sync method: Video clock (Drop/Dupe audio)

I played around a lot with these setting and this were the options that got rid of my issues.
Will try that, thanks. My previous settings had vertical blank sync always and the audio clock sync method.

EDIT: Video looks good, but there are now infrequent audio interruptions.
Interesting.. Might try turning Sync playback to display "off" and see how it goes? You sound close to the solution.
That's a drawback of sync playback to display and and passthrough audio, if the refreshrate and fps don't match up right you'll get jerks with the audio clock synctype and audio distortion with drop/dupe.

This can be fixed with the proper modelines (59.94, 60, 23.976 and 24 hertz) or by disabling passthrough and using the resample synctype.
Just to let you know that running XBMC in standalone (has proposed by tedh and horserider Smile) has solved the stuttering issue.

Perfect results with following settings:
XBMC adjust to frame rate : disabled
XBMC sync to video clock : enabled
XBMC vertical blank sync : let driver choose

Tested with a 1080p and a 720p movies (24p) that had stuttering issue when XBMC was running in GNOME session
When I enable adjust to frame rate it is not perfect, I see a little amount of stuttering. Without adjust to frame rate my TV stays in 60Hz but the playback is perfectly smooth, even with my eyes glued to the screen I see really nothing !!!

Thanks,

ASROCK ION 330 + XBMC beta 2 + NVIDIA 195 + UBUNTU 9.04
I've had to shut off adjust to frame rate also. I was still getting the occastional stutter during fast action scenes. Now it seems to be 100%.

Could there be something wrong with adjust to frame rate?
jason32835 Wrote:I've had to shut off adjust to frame rate also. I was still getting the occastional stutter during fast action scenes. Now it seems to be 100%.

Could there be something wrong with adjust to frame rate?

I see something simmilar, with some files, mostly those that are not detailed enough (pure BD m2ts files work flawlessly)

Although XBMC claims no drop frames (after some initial renderer drops while adjusting), I see some drops on TV. I think it is something related to the TV, missing a frame sometimes (like 5 in a two hour film) due to small frame rate variations (24,03, 23,95) etc.

I am starting to think that it is due to small defects in the original file. Some of my files were created for the A-110 popcornhour, but XBMC is in antoher league.

Regards,
horserider Wrote:I see something simmilar, with some files, mostly those that are not detailed enough (pure BD m2ts files work flawlessly)

Although XBMC claims no drop frames (after some initial renderer drops while adjusting), I see some drops on TV. I think it is something related to the TV, missing a frame sometimes (like 5 in a two hour film) due to small frame rate variations (24,03, 23,95) etc.

I am starting to think that it is due to small defects in the original file. Some of my files were created for the A-110 popcornhour, but XBMC is in antoher league.

Regards,
I just replayed a portion of a movie that was skipping last night, with the same settings, and this morning no skipping! I'm wondering if maybe the video card isn't stressing and over heating at some point during certain movies. I'll have to check that. Is anyone else getting strange results like this?

Edit: My GPU actually cools off during movie playback, so there goes that idea. I'll just leave Adjust to frame rate off for now. I think I'm going to aquire a brain tumor if I don't get over it soon.
jason32835 Wrote:I just replayed a portion of a movie that was skipping last night, with the same settings, and this morning no skipping! I'm wondering if maybe the video card isn't stressing and over heating at some point during certain movies. I'll have to check that. Is anyone else getting strange results like this?

Edit: My GPU actually cools off during movie playback, so there goes that idea. I'll just leave Adjust to frame rate off for now. I think I'm going to aquire a brain tumor if I don't get over it soon.
That's why I thought it was because of something like caching the file. It seems there are 2 problems:

- framedrops, always at the same scene at the same time, although the number of framedrops is always between 15-25.
- random stutters, no log, no debug info, nothing.
gokudo Wrote:Thx @ WWWilco. Thx! I already followed the HOW-TO setup XBMC and Linux with correct resolution (xorg.conf) Guide which seems to miss the composite off hint. I'd like to know how you could possibly get the correct modelines for stuff like 23,967hz etc. if even possible. On a sidenote, i noticed that setting the NoEDIDModes option before testing with X is quite pointless, at least to me....

This thread has been very helpful to get rid of my stutters in playing HD content. I used the url above to set up my xorg.conf. I realized that most of my 1080p content uses a framerate of 24fps and my 720p content 25fps or 30 fps. So adding the following Modelines to my xorg.conf 1920x1080@60 1920x1080@50 and 1920x1080@24 made it possible for XBMC to play all my content allmost perfectly. That is when the option auto adjust to framerate is set in XBMC.

My xorg.conf atm

PHP Code:
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder58)  Fri Dec 18 18:35:05 PST 2009

Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier     "Layout0"

Screen      0  "Screen0"

InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"

InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section 
"Files"
EndSection

Section 
"InputDevice"

# generated from default

Identifier     "Mouse0"

Driver         "mouse"

Option         "Protocol" "auto"

Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"

Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"

Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section 
"InputDevice"

# generated from default

Identifier     "Keyboard0"

Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section 
"Extensions"

Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Section 
"Monitor"

Identifier     "Monitor0"

VendorName     "Unknown"

ModelName      "Unknown"

HorizSync       26.0 81.0
    VertRefresh     43.0 
    Option         
"DPMS"

Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "TRUE"

ModeLine        "1920x1080@60" 148.50 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
     ModeLine        
"1920x1080@50" 148.50 1920 2448 2492 2640 1080 1084 1089 1125  +hsync +vsync
     ModeLine        
"1920x1080@24" 74.16 1920 2558 2602 2750 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync   
EndSection

Section 
"Device"

Identifier     "Device0"

Driver         "nvidia"

VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"

Option "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes"    

Option "DynamicTwinView" "false" #twinview line

Option "UseEDIDFreqs" "False"

Option "HWCursor" "False"    
EndSection

Section 
"Screen"

Identifier     "Screen0"

Device         "Device0"

Monitor        "Monitor0"

Option "Twinview" "0"    

DefaultDepth    24
    Option 
"DynamicTwinView"  "False"

Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling=Native" 

SubSection     "Display"

Depth       24
       Modes 
"1920x1080@60" "1920x1080@50" "1920x1080@24"      EndSubSection
EndSection 
Smile 
WWWilco Wrote:You can solve the tearing by allowing vsync in the xbmc options.

This is the important part of my xorg.conf. It matches the fps of the movies with the TV. You probabbly don't need the DPI settings.
Code:
Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Sony"
    ModelName      "Bravia 40WK5500"
    HorizSync       14 - 70
    VertRefresh     48 - 62
    Option         "DPMS"
    # These modelines are needed so the 24 fps movies can run without stuttering. Extract as root with:
    # X -verbose 6 > ~/xlog.txt 2>&1
    ModeLine "1920x1080@50p" 148.50 1920 2448 2492 2640 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
    ModeLine "1920x1080@60p" 148.50 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
    ModeLine "1920x1080@24p" 74.16 1920 2558 2602 2750 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
    Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "TRUE"
    # Set the correct DPI manually, it somehow defaults to 32x32"
    Option  "DPI" "96 x 96"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "ION VGA"
    # Needed to reduce stuttering
    Option         "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option "DynamicTwinView" "False"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        # Only these modes are allowed for good playback
        Modes "1920x1080@24p" "1920x1080@50p" "1920x1080@60p"
    EndSubSection
EndSection
This makes panning movements smooth. The problem is you're still left with framedrops and stuttering even when there are no framedrops.

issue is fixed
Hi all,

I don't know how the 24hz mode for the 2 previous xorg.conf can work as the vertical frequency for the tvs are minimal 43 or 48hz.

Are 24hz modes really validated by X init ? Where is the trick ?

Cyrille

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hickups/stuttering on ION. Caused by caching?2