Going to start again.....
jmarshall Wrote:It doesn't scale anything twice. All that happens is the "skin resolution" simply defines a one-time scale factor to apply to all coordinates (scaling from skin res to calibrated screen res) at render time.

All images are loaded at their native size - they're only resampled on load if they're background loaded (eg fanart) and only if they're larger than min(width,2048) by min(height,1080) where width and height are the screen resolution.

The rendering of controls is thus directly from the original image direct into the rectangle described by the scaled control rectangle. The scaling (bilinear filtering) is performed by the GPU.

Short answer: The skin resolution affects only the alignment of controls. In most cases it won't make any difference at all.

Cheers,
Jonathan

well, i am sorry to say, i disagree. but not going to discuss it all over again Smile, all i can say i see a big speed improvement on my AsRock ION & better looking textures. but it is personal opinion.

so to answer you your question YES in will be mainly 1080i and some tweaks for 720p.
You disagree with the source code??
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:You disagree with the source code??

no, just i do see a differance when i use 1080i to 720p in skin coding, when XBMC screen res is set to 1080P. in speed and texture quality even if the textures are 1080p but skin code is 720p.
As long as you align everything in 720p to a multiple of 2 in both directions (x,y) there will be ZERO difference between use of the 720p or 1080i folder in the skin. Reason is that then it scales perfectly to a multiple of 3 in both directions (x,y) in 1080i.

There may be some _slight_ differences if they're not a multiple of 2 in (x,y) depending on which way the rounding goes during the scaling. Ofcourse this will be completely negated if the user calibrates their screen or applies any skin zooming, or if any of your textures are not _perfectly_ sized to the control size.

To make things clear, I repeat: XBMC does not scale images twice (except for the case where they're larger than 2048x1080).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Andy,
You mention that you see a difference in image quality... this is possible but not likely due to XBMC, but due to your display or your video card... and how they (together or individually) handle/display different resolutions. There are many factors with image quality and they all affect each other.

I can tell you I saw difference between NVidia and ATI video cards... very slight but the difference was noticeable, at first. Your eyes/brain will adjust quickly and in a day or two you will not remember what it looked like before.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
Livin Wrote:Andy,
You mention that you see a difference in image quality... this is possible but not likely due to XBMC, but due to your display or your video card... and how they (together or individually) handle/display different resolutions. There are many factors with image quality and they all affect each other.

I can tell you I saw difference between NVidia and ATI video cards... very slight but the difference was noticeable, at first. Your eyes/brain will adjust quickly and in a day or two you will not remember what it looked like before.

Hes talking about coding a skin at 720p or 1080i not the resolution the skin is displayed at
Hey andy hows this project coming along? are you still doing your own skin?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Going to start again.....0