Central Movie Database
I've got 4 systems in the house running XBMCLive now and was wondering is there anyway to have a central database for the movie, tv series and music collection.

They all read off the same path to the server so pathing is the same, filenames are the same.

I'd like to when I fix or customise a movie or TV series it gets refelcted across all the systems?
If you search the forums you'll see this is a popular requested feature. Unfortunately (from what I've read) the problems associated with creating a 'central' database are numerous. Read this thread for a pretty good discussion on it, but there are many others http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=55794. So long answer, no.

What you could do if they all have the same sources and exact same paths is copy the DB manually between userdata folders (assuming all same platform here). There are a lot of posts on this as well, here is a link to a script someone wrote, but I can't attest to how well it might work.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=56565
I'm just finishing up setting up 2 instances of XBMC and want to keep my databases in sync. I previously was running DVDLobby, and maintained a common backend database that worked well, but I got tired of the quirks of MainLobby / DVDLobby and decided to give XBMC a shot - Love it so far.

Anyway - what I'm doing is using Ember Media Manager to 'maintain' the movie library (create nfo files, grab thumbs, trailers, etc), and then use the 'Initiate XBMC Update' feature to essentially push the updates to each of the client machines. Its not really a push update, more of a prompt to rescan, but it has been working very well.

Oh, and to seed the second install I simply copied over the sources.xml file and the \userdata\Database folder
thanks for answers guys.

I suppose I should have put on my UNIX hat and thought about this.

Surely there is a command to generate the DB export from the CLI.
Then as long as the sh keys are setup you can manually copy over the master export and import it on the others providing there is also a command for that from the CLI?

That would be a really simple script, hell probably just a cronjob is required.

Anyone know about command lines options for XBMC?
boykster Wrote:I'm just finishing up setting up 2 instances of XBMC and want to keep my databases in sync. I previously was running DVDLobby, and maintained a common backend database that worked well, but I got tired of the quirks of MainLobby / DVDLobby and decided to give XBMC a shot - Love it so far.

Anyway - what I'm doing is using Ember Media Manager to 'maintain' the movie library (create nfo files, grab thumbs, trailers, etc), and then use the 'Initiate XBMC Update' feature to essentially push the updates to each of the client machines. Its not really a push update, more of a prompt to rescan, but it has been working very well.

Oh, and to seed the second install I simply copied over the sources.xml file and the \userdata\Database folder

The prompt to rescan that you mention, does it just put a prompt on the screen "would you like to rescan"? That would be pretty slick.
robweber Wrote:The prompt to rescan that you mention, does it just put a prompt on the screen "would you like to rescan"? That would be pretty slick.

No...probably the wrong choice of words on my part. It initiates an rescan on each XBMC box. It does show a dialog that you can cancel though.

I prefer it to run without user confirmation on the XBMC clients since I do the database updates from my workstation in my office, I don't want to have to then click "yes" on the XBMC box when I go to watch a movie - I want the new movies there! Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Central Movie Database0