Audio Output Profiles - Assigning a different device for each audio output profile?
Lightbulb 
Hi,
I am using XBMC on my linux-based HTPC and have the following problem.
I have two sound-cards. The one I am using just for the digital output for my surround system and the other is for the analog output to my headphones. If I want to change between these outputs I always have to go the hardware settings and change nearly all the settings (Downmix, Output Devices, Analog/Digital etc.).
Now I am wondering if it wouldn't be possible to add something like Audio Profiles so that you can simply add a new profile for all these settings and call them "Headphones" or "Surround System" and between which you can directly switch, you know?
I think this is even if you have just one sound-card, you have to change the whole setting to choose you headphones-out.
If I am totally wrong and my problem is much easier to handle, please tell me Smile.
Is possible implement into XBMC function which switch audio output with "one click" ?
Example : from stereo HDMI to 5.1 audio output ? Only with pressing any key or remote button ?

Thanks

Alda
Hi!

I'm new to XBMC but I have to say that it is really great Smile.
Keep on the good work!

There is still one thing that would make my life much easier:
At the moment, in xbmc audio output settings) you can only
select one audio device and then use the output format (analog,
optical/coax, hdmi). You can also change these output formats
during movie playback but not the device.

It would be very comfortable to assign different audio devices
to each of the output formats, i.e.:
Analog: use the soundcard's 5.1(or whatever) analog output
Optical/Coax: use the soundcard's spdif passthrough device
HDMI: use the graphic cards hdmi device.

This way one could easily switch between the devices during
movie playback without having to change the xbmc system settings, ...

Best regards, Alex
It would be nice to have in the menu an option to pick which audio output to use.

I have a USB dac and the standard optical out in operation on my mac, but XBMC uses which ever has been picked in the audio/midi set up.

I want to use the standard output for 5.1 and the USB dac for high quality music playback.

It does not have to do this automatically I just want to be able to switch outputs without having to screen share and manually change OSX default output.
One feature I would love to see is support for quickly switching between audio outputs without having to dig into menus. As an example, I generally have HDMI out going to a receiver but on occasion want to listen through a wireless headset attached to my PC. Movies with a DD or DTS stream will cause an initialization error with the wireless headset if I don't first switch the audio output to analog. Ideally, it would be great to set up each audio profile and be able to switch through each profile via a keyboard shortcut or remote control button.
Lightbulb 
I would like to see Audio output configurable by device, a lot of HTPC hardware (in my case Zotac HD-ID11) have multiple audio devices, it seems to me that it is becoming more difficult to get the output setup as required. Maybe I'm a wing nut, maybe it’s already possible, but looking at asoundrc or the thought of configuring ALSA manually assures me that I won't be able to work it out in this lifetime...

In my case, I would love

HDA Intel (Optical) -> pass-through DTS, DD, PCM etc -> 5.1 Channels

HDA Nvidia (HDMI) -> no DTS, DD -> 2.0 Channels

As it stands right now, if I want to use any TV (I have a 4 in 2 out HDMI matrix) I have to disable Dolby Digital and DTS, and if I want to use my amp I need to *remember* to re-enable them.

I have a recollection of reading that the audio backend was going to get a bit of an overhaul, though I have a 9 month old boy and my memory isn’t what it used to be from all the sleep deprivation!

Long live XBMC! Smile
turbodonkey Wrote:HDA Intel (Optical) -> pass-through DTS, DD, PCM etc -> 5.1 Channels

HDA Nvidia (HDMI) -> no DTS, DD -> 2.0 Channels

That's my setup exactly... Would love to see Audio Profiles Nod
maybe the developers of xbmc are lost in C++ land and dream about filters and pins :p

my solution for the missing audio profiles is simple. I start xbmc over shortcuts to batch files. One for each audio profile i need.

The content of the 2 batch files in the xbmc programm directory:

StartDefault.cmd
Code:
@ECHO OFF

XCOPY "%APPDATA%\XBMC\userdata\guisettings_Default.xml" "%APPDATA%\XBMC\userdata\guisettings.xml" /R /Y

REM in 64-bit versions replace %PROGRAMFILES% with %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%
START "XBMC" "%PROGRAMFILES%\XBMC\XBMC.exe"

StartAlternate.cmd
Code:
@ECHO OFF

XCOPY "%APPDATA%\XBMC\userdata\guisettings_Alternate.xml" "%APPDATA%\XBMC\userdata\guisettings.xml" /R /Y

REM In 64-bit versions replace %PROGRAMFILES% with %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%

The content of the guisettings_Default.xml and guisettings_Alternate.xml then differ only in the audiooutput location. Copy the original guisettings.xml and rename it to guisettings_Default.xml.

After that change the xbmc system - audio hardware settings accourding to your needs, close xbmc and take a look at the audiooutput section to see the difference. For me it's only the line with mode that changed from 1 to 0.

Now copy this modified guisettings.xml and rename it to guisettings_Alternate.xml.

So if you start one of the batch files, they simply copy one of the guisettings_Default.xml or guisettings_Alternate.xml over the guisettings.xml used by xbmc. Next step in the batch is start the app.

Finally I changed the start menu shortcut of xbmc to one of the batch files then duplicate it and point it to other. Now I've got two shortcuts for xbmc in my start menu, one for each audio profile.

Anyway, love the xbmc developers work.
(2011-07-31, 15:22)lowtekk Wrote: maybe the developers of xbmc are lost in C++ land and dream about filters and pins :p

my solution for the missing audio profiles is simple. I start xbmc over shortcuts to batch files. One for each audio profile i need.

The content of the 2 batch files in the xbmc programm directory:

StartDefault.cmd
Code:
@ECHO OFF

XCOPY "%APPDATA%\XBMC\userdata\guisettings_Default.xml" "%APPDATA%\XBMC\userdata\guisettings.xml" /R /Y

REM in 64-bit versions replace %PROGRAMFILES% with %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%

StartAlternate.cmd
Code:
@ECHO OFF

XCOPY "%APPDATA%\XBMC\userdata\guisettings_Alternate.xml" "%APPDATA%\XBMC\userdata\guisettings.xml" /R /Y

REM In 64-bit versions replace %PROGRAMFILES% with %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%

The content of the guisettings_Default.xml and guisettings_Alternate.xml then differ only in the audiooutput location. Copy the original guisettings.xml and rename it to guisettings_Default.xml.

After that change the xbmc system - audio hardware settings accourding to your needs, close xbmc and take a look at the audiooutput section to see the difference. For me it's only the line with mode that changed from 1 to 0.

Now copy this modified guisettings.xml and rename it to guisettings_Alternate.xml.

So if you start one of the batch files, they simply copy one of the guisettings_Default.xml or guisettings_Alternate.xml over the guisettings.xml used by xbmc. Next step in the batch is start the app.

Finally I changed the start menu shortcut of xbmc to one of the batch files then duplicate it and point it to other. Now I've got two shortcuts for xbmc in my start menu, one for each audio profile.

Anyway, love the xbmc developers work.

I'm bothered with the same problem - why XBMC cannot specify output device to "default device" and change between analogue/passthrough automatically like MediaPortal and PowerDVD?
Anyways, I'd like to ask you whether this trick still work for XBMC Frodo? Thank you!
XBMC does this on some platforms like Mac OS X. I think it's possible again, using nightly builds (wiki), on Windows to use a "default" device, but I'm not sure off hand.
(2014-02-19, 20:53)Ned Scott Wrote: XBMC does this on some platforms like Mac OS X. I think it's possible again, using nightly builds (wiki), on Windows to use a "default" device, but I'm not sure off hand.

Hi, just tried the nightly build, and there is an option for default analogue device. For passthrough, it still requires to choose a specific device.
I hope the following can be possible in XBMC:
1) Both analogue and passthrough should use the same default output device
2) When it is analogue, XBMC decodes everything
3) When it is digital device, XBMC passthrough DTS/DD audio tracks based on the configuration

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio Output Profiles - Assigning a different device for each audio output profile?0