Configure custom output for sound
How do I configure a custom sound output for XBMC 9.11? I used my own .asoundrc configuration file to output to both hdmi and optical. Under XBMC 9.04 I had it configured like this:

But when I look at the guisettings.xml under XBMC 9.11 I notice that lines have been changed to the example listed below while the hdmi is filled in.

new guisettings.xml format 9.11
Code:
<audiodevice>alsa:plug:hdmi</audiodevice>
<passthroughdevice>alsa:hdmi</passthroughdevice>

So how do I configure XBMC 9.11 it matches the picture sample (9.04) above?
wow, spinners are hard eh ;P spin the spinners to 'custom' then enter your audio device.
spiff Wrote:wow, spinners are hard eh ;P spin the spinners to 'custom' then enter your audio device.

Thanks. So if I select custom for the sources and just type "both" it should work? Or do I need to type "plug:both"? Because the audiodevice (alsa: plug:hdmi) uses a different format than the passthroughdevice (alsa:hdmi)..
Code:
alsa:plug:both
And for reference for those that search, the prepended alsa: or pulse: will just tell xbmc to not try to autoconfigure the subsystem, so if you skip it xbmc will try pulseaudio, then alsa.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
spiff Wrote:
Code:
alsa:plug:both

Thanks! I got it working!! For those wanted to play, you need to configure xbmc like this:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Configure custom output for sound0