[XBOX] Xbox Hard Drive Upgrade without opening my computer?
I apologize if this question has been asked before but I've been having a hard time finding a way to upgrade the hard drive in my Xbox without having to open up my computer.

Normally I wouldn't be opposed to it but the only PC that I have access to is my company laptop so...yeah opening it isn't really an option.

I have a v1.0 softmodded xbox running unleashx.

Also have XBMC r26941 although I don't think that matters so much.

So any help pointing me towards a good tutorial for upgrading the hard drive without opening my computer would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
look @ xbox-scene.com for tutorials
Xbox HDD maker is also a good starting point.... and dont forget to get your EEPROM off your Xbox.
Geeba Wrote:Xbox HDD maker is also a good starting point.... and dont forget to get your EEPROM off your Xbox.
OP doesn't want to open up his computer....its a laptop anyways.

One option would be to buy a cheap usb-ide adapter so you can use xboxhdm and hook the new HD up to the laptop without opening it. Although i'm unsure if xbox hdm works with drives connected over USB.

Another would be to do a drive "hotswap" with the xbox.

Either way Geeba is right about getting the eeprom.
You can only make an Xbox drive by using the Master IDE port on a PC... no others will work.... get an old PC out of a skip.. chances are it will work and definately have an IDE port... thats where my first Xbox drive building PC came from... well I saved it from the skip Wink
I don't think that changing hard drive in the Xbox is the best solution.
I would preferably go for a NAS solution.
I have a 750 Go disk in my Xbox and it is now full. I wish I had a NAS that I can upgrade (and share with other xbox and computer) instead...
ewaterke Wrote:I don't think that changing hard drive in the Xbox is the best solution.
I would preferably go for a NAS solution.
I have a 750 Go disk in my Xbox and it is now full. I wish I had a NAS that I can upgrade (and share with other xbox and computer) instead...

Yep agree completely - I use NAS/Server now... I only put drives in Xboxes for family/friends that have no home network.. which makes the large drive a must and a dam fine little unit to... The only real advantage of 7200rpm drives now is I find they are a tad faster when scanning my libary and alot quieter than a clunking 5400 drive.

IDE/NAS enclosures are cheap these days - I have used a couple of the ebay specials and they work fine. Wink
Ended up using Chimp 2.6. Worked great! I would love an NAS but I had an old 160Gb external HDD laying around so I used that since I'm trying to do this on the cheap.
what is a "NAS" cause i am in the process of figuring out how to softmod my Xbox and i will be stuck with internal memory limits for a while so 8 gigs is not enough.Is there a tutorial on how to do this? Is it expensive. Do i have soft mod my box first?
newbie 1 Wrote:what is a "NAS"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBOX] Xbox Hard Drive Upgrade without opening my computer?0