How do you turn on Library Mode?
Okay, here's the skinny.

From completely 'OFF', I booted the PC. The lights on both external drive came on with the PC. XBMC fired up and I went to 'Videos' when I was at the main dashboard.

Inside 'Videos' were three icons: "Movies 1" (external drive #1), "Movies 2" (external drive #2) and "Add Source."

I moused over "Movies 1" and pressed "C". "Remove Source" was NOT an option. I tried the "C" press over "Movies 2". Again, "Remove Source" was NOT an option.

The first choice after the "C" press (the closest one to your instructions) said ""Remove Safely". I chose that for "Movies 1". The "Movies 1" drive disappeared from the main "Videos" page. I repeated the process for "Movies 2", and it, too, disappeared from the main "Videos" page.

I was now left with only one icon on the main "Videos" page; "Add Source".

At this point I felt like I was where I should be at the conclusion of your first set of directions. I proceeded to the second set.

I clicked "Add Source". I clicked "Browse". And here's where the hang up begins (or has been). The two external drives do no show up anywhere on that page. I went through each individual option and the is no link to either of the external drives.

This appears to be where I have been stuck. Obviously XBMC knows the drives are there, as I can navigate within them from the "Videos" page. But it will not see them for the purposes of adding them as a source.

Ideas?
Here
Holy Hell. I just read that, and while I noticed its similarity to what solem posted earlier, it is beyond anything I understand.

This is the absolute first time I have ever touched anything related to Linux in my life, mostly because I have always heard how hard it is to understand and use. I have NO prior knowledge of anything Linux, whatsoever. I figured I would give XBMC a shot as it looks gorgeous the wiki called it an out-of-the-box experience.

If that page is any indication of the knowledge required to use XBMC, I suppose I am relegated to using my old-ass, no mkv playing, XP MCE 2005.

Would this be different if I was running XBMC through Windows?!
Don't be alarmed. This is probably your last step towards nirvana.

Edit fstab and you should be good to go. I'm assuming your drives are NTFS?
Yeah?? I feel more like "Hey blind guy with one arm... remove this man's spleen".

Yes the drives are NTFS.

I read this article several times last night.

http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html

As I compare it to what you posted in #8, I have a few questions.

Original Post:

/dev/sda1 /media/myGdisk ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_EN.utf8 0 0

(if your G-disk is sda1)... "myGdisk" is just a folder you create in i.e. the media folder, so you can call it whatever you like. Hopefully XBMC will then show "myGdisk" as a addable source.

1. So /dev/sda1 is one of the external drives, yes? You wrote "if your G-disk is sda1" What is "sda1" and how would I go about finding that out? Will the second drive be the same? different?

2. According to the article, /media/myGdisk is the mounting point. I do not grasp that concept all too well. The article states, "Most distros create them under /mnt, but some (at least SuSE) under /media." Is the drive itself /media?

Additionally, what about this "myGdisk is just a folder you create in i.e. the media folder, so you can call it whatever you like." While I grasp that I can call myGdisk something else, the concept escapes me. Is this to say all my video files must be in a main folder on the drive called myGdisk (or other name)?

3. From the article, I understand that the third column deals with the file stream type. But why is there a "-3g" at the end. The article make no mention of this.

4. From the fourth column, I recognize defaults from the article (despite not knowing what it means) but ",locale=en_EN.utf8" might as well be Swahili.

I get columns 5 and 6.
Let me just say that I'm no expert. It's just that I struggled with the same issues as you like a month or two ago, but all the answers are out there somewhere, on the big interwebs :p

1. Do a "sudo fdisk -l" (in console again). This should show you all disks connected to your system. I.e. /dev/sda is one device, and if it only has one partition it will be /dev/sda1. The tables has a "System" column showing you what filesystem the partition is, like HPFS/NTFS. When you know what your devices are called you're good to proceed.

2. Mounting point is just a folder you create. You probably have both a /mnt and /media folder, so you're free to choose where to mount your disks. Just make another folder within to seperate your disks. And no, shouldn't be a problem to have your movies on "root" level on your disks.

3. As far as I know ntfs-3g is just the latest way of dealing with NT filesystem mounting. You might have to install it though: "sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g"

4. It's not really important to know everything about this, but en_EN means english GB style, as opposed to en_US or whatever language you want. UTF8 is just a way to handle Unicode characters encoding. Not really sure if it's needed or how it affects the mounts.
First off, thanks for the reply!

I think I can handle the "sudo fdisk -l" part, as that is how I found my sound card. Hopefully I can discern what is what.

Assuming I can find /media, how can I create another folder within? When I went to the console, it was just a black screen with white letters. I could see no GUI to make changes.

Similarly, how would I install "sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g"? Do I need a web connection for this, do I import the file from somewhere? This PC is not networked. It is a standalone connected to my HDTV.
Yes, u need interwebs to install this.

Here r some basic commands to move around:

- ls (list function, like dir)
- cd (change dir, i.e. "cd /media")
- mkdir (make directory, i.e. "mkdir myDisk")

For the last one u probably have to do "sudo mkdir myDisk"

Question: If it's not connected to ur network how did u scrape movie info? .nfo's?
I've never scraped. After I ripped my DVD collection, I went on the web and collected pics of the posters manually. I named each "folder.jpg" and dropped it into the respective folder.

I have a bad feeling that there is no way in hell I am going to pull this off.

But...

Let's do this one step at a time, if you don't mind.

I did the sudo fdisk -l at console.

My external drives are:
/dev/sdb HPFS/NTFS and
/dev/sdc HPFS/NTFS

I was able to get to /media with "cd /media". In it I entered "mkdir movies1" and then "mkdisk movies2". When I entered "ls" I could see both within the /media directory.

So far, so good... I think

I am going to ask my fstab question in a new post, as no one reading the title of this one would have any idea about where I am in all of this.

A BIG THANK YOU for all the help you folks have given me!!!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do you turn on Library Mode?0