xbmc keeps asking for password-user name; can anyone help?
OK.... finally back to about 90% of where I was b4. The problem I am having now; I am sure was/is realated to my messing around trying to delete files/source, etc. This is what I am facing currently:

I click to add a new source

I then click Windows network (SMB)

I find this Workgroup/my main PC (Called Office PC)

I highlight this Office PC: (problem occurs next)

Problem: "Lock Settings"
username
Enter password
Remember this path

**** I have ZERO idea how/why this happened.... I don't believe I ever set up a password? How do I re-set this to allow full access to my workgroup -Office PC)? Sometimes if I exit XBMC and go right back to the same field as above I can add a source without the password prompt.

If anyone can help with the above I would greatly appreciate it!

Thxs

BTW: I checked under Profile/lock preferences and it is disabled.
Bump..... is there anyone who is willing to help? I have read and re-read the wiki; manual; etc.

Thanks!
i've had the same problem since yesterday, i get the lock settings dialogue
i tried disabling password protected sharing on my PC, i tried reinstalling XBMC on my mac... nothing
this is the log content from my last attempt
Quote:13:22:52 T:2689976096 M:3536158720 ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://TEKO%2dPC'
unix_err:'2' error : 'No such file or directory'
13:22:52 T:2689976096 M:3536158720 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting smb://TEKO-PC/
13:22:52 T:2689976096 M:3536158720 ERROR: CGUIDialogFileBrowser::GetDirectory(smb://TEKO-PC/) failed

thanks
I got this after doing an night build update yesterday, basically i entered the login details to my NAS and it connected.

HTH
I too had a bunch of issues trying smb based shares. My system has been seamless since I migrated away from smb and went to FTP for accessing my network shares. I use a nas box from synology that natively supports a wide range of protocols from smb to nfs to ftp. Although I have a few more options there is no reason why you cant run a ftp server on your Office PC and pipe XBMC to it.

Filezilla is a nice example of stable, open source, free software. They offer a free windows based ftp server here:

http://filezilla-project.org/

XBMC does a great job of keeping the settings. Instead of using a static ip address scheme I use a host name system. My nas bos is called mediaserver.local and my mac mini running xbmc is called mediacenter.local on the network. That way if anything reboots I am spared the work of readdressing or setting up the sources again.

Hope it helps
quotaholic
A F'n Roku, cant wait to build a ryzen.
I noticed that the mac address in the System Info - Network Information page is 00:00:00:00:00:00:00 and flashes to "busy" every few seconds, i dont think that's normal...
Of course that's not normal behaviour.
You could check for the network settings in standard apple interface and test it by watching a movie trailer for example.
If this fails, it is a hardware failure most likely. Good luck ;o)
Vero 4k+ | OSMC Kodi 19.1
Sony KD-65A1
quotaholic Wrote:I too had a bunch of issues trying smb based shares. My system has been seamless since I migrated away from smb and went to FTP for accessing my network shares. I use a nas box from synology that natively supports a wide range of protocols from smb to nfs to ftp. Although I have a few more options there is no reason why you cant run a ftp server on your Office PC and pipe XBMC to it.

Filezilla is a nice example of stable, open source, free software. They offer a free windows based ftp server here:

XBMC does a great job of keeping the settings. Instead of using a static ip address scheme I use a host name system. My nas bos is called mediaserver.local and my mac mini running xbmc is called mediacenter.local on the network. That way if anything reboots I am spared the work of readdressing or setting up the sources again.

Hope it helps
quotaholic

Thxs for the link/information!! The SMB Windows Share is driving me crazy: Yesterday for example; 80% of the time it worked the way it should; other time- not so much. Today; (730am CST) not working again. What drives me crazy is I never entered anything on my PC or XBMC about a password. Thxs again!
quotaholic Wrote:I too had a bunch of issues trying smb based shares. My system has been seamless since I migrated away from smb and went to FTP for accessing my network shares. I use a nas box from synology that natively supports a wide range of protocols from smb to nfs to ftp. Although I have a few more options there is no reason why you cant run a ftp server on your Office PC and pipe XBMC to it.

Hope it helps
quotaholic

Thanks for this post. I have been having the lock settings issue with my SMB shares for the past year or so and have just learned to live with it. This solution is exactly what I was looking for. The only problem I have found with this is that there is no thumbnail support with ftp server (I found a couple of older posts documenting this). So, the only way to use the *.tbn files that I am using for a lot of my home movies, and such, is to manually browse for them - definitely not ideal.

Any suggestions for a workaround?

Thanks again.
I had the same kind of issues when sharing my files on my windows 7 pc.

What ended up working for me was I created another user on the pc named xbmc with a password of xbmc for simplicity and now it all works.Cool
BORIStheBLADE Wrote:I had the same kind of issues when sharing my files on my windows 7 pc.

What ended up working for me was I created another user on the pc named xbmc with a password of xbmc for simplicity and now it all works.Cool

Excuse my total ignorance to this: But by setting up another user with xbmc as name and password; does it not ask every time you add a share to enter the pw/un? For example; on my PC where everything is stored- I already have two accounts(neither is PW protected). Reason for two is: I have two Itunes Libraries with different Ipods on each. First account is just called "Office PC" Second account is called "New account". I see all files with both user names under my workgroup---- the problem is when I go to add new files I get the password/UN prompt. Thxs
64met Wrote:Excuse my total ignorance to this: But by setting up another user with xbmc as name and password; does it not ask every time you add a share to enter the pw/un? For example; on my PC where everything is stored- I already have two accounts(neither is PW protected). Reason for two is: I have two Itunes Libraries with different Ipods on each. First account is just called "Office PC" Second account is called "New account". I see all files with both user names under my workgroup---- the problem is when I go to add new files I get the password/UN prompt. Thxs

After I did that it never asked me for the user and password again. Heres my old thread.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=59887
64met, I solved my problem by uninstalling the program Windows Live Sign in Assistant and everything works now
I forgot that I uninstalled Windows Live Sign in Assistant a couple of months ago because of some other login issue, but it reinstalled itself on 01/29/2010 during a windows update, the day you posted the thread.
try uninstalling it to see if it works
thanks for the tip... this fixed my issue also..
disco_biscuit Wrote:I got this after doing an night build update yesterday, basically i entered the login details to my NAS and it connected.

HTH

Yes this worked for me too! Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc keeps asking for password-user name; can anyone help?0