Shut-down XBMC/Ubuntu
I just installed Ubunutu and XBMC for Linux. Quite impressed about the speed and ease of doing things this way!!!

Just one quick question: I have set Linux to boot directly into XBMC, which is what I want to use. However, when I "exit" XBMC. I again get to the "log-in" screen. Is there any way to "exit" directly to Ubuntu without any log-in screen in between?

Thanks for your help!!!
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
You have to set up permissions and policy.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=3...post369357
vikjon0 Wrote:You have to set up permissions and policy.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=3...post369357

Checked the link you provided. Actually, this is not what I want to achiev.

> XBMC session
> ------------------
> To boot directly into the XBMC session:
>
> 1) Logout - F10 - select Session - XBMC
> First time select "just this time" when function verified repeat and set to
> defalt session
>
> 2) Return to login by exiting XBMC
>
> 3) Back to Gnome
> F10 - Select session - Gnome

Actually, it works for me as above. I just hoped that "exit XBMC" (step 2 above) would get me directly into Gnome and not back to the login screen. Is there any way to achieve this?

Actually, I dont want to see any login-screen:

1) When I power on my computer, directly go to XBMC
2) When I exit XBMC, go to Gnome
3) When I shut down XBMC, power down my computer

Feasible?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
Oki, I didnt read careful enough.
There is no gnome desktop behind when using the xbmc session. Thats kind of the point.
You need to run in the gnome session if you want to do that.
vikjon0 Wrote:Oki, I didnt read careful enough.
There is no gnome desktop behind when using the xbmc session. Thats kind of the point.
You need to run in the gnome session if you want to do that.

Thanks for your reply. Assume then that it is not possible to achieve what I was looking for. Anyhow, couple of related questions:

1) Is it from a resource perspective more efficient not ti have run Gnome in parallel?

2) Is LIRC still running when booting directly into XBMC (without Gnome)?

3) Can I still use launcher to open other apps (such as Ubuntu Desktop for Ubuntu) using launcher app?
Quote:Assume then that it is not possible to achieve what I was looking for

Well, my setup is close to this. No xbmc session as such, but a pretty standard xbmc auto startup in a gnome session.

Power on : direct to xbmc
Exit : back to Gnome
Shutdown : well, back to Gnome as well. I wish it would shut down the computer, if anyone knows how to do this I'd be glad to hear it.
You can set XBMC to shutdown computer entirely in the settings. Check System->Power Saving.
Quote:Shutdown : well, back to Gnome as well. I wish it would shut down the computer, if anyone knows how to do this I'd be glad to hear it.

start by setting up permissions.
steve1977 Wrote:1) Is it from a resource perspective more efficient not ti have run Gnome in parallel?
Technically the computer will be consuming more resources (mainly RAM i should think?) when Gnome is running in the background. But I hardly makes a difference on a modern computer (even nettops).
steve1977 Wrote:2) Is LIRC still running when booting directly into XBMC (without Gnome)?
Yes, it is. IR won't work without it.
steve1977 Wrote:3) Can I still use launcher to open other apps (such as Ubuntu Desktop for Ubuntu) using launcher app?
[/quote]
Sorry, no idea there.

As for your shutdown issue: In settings you can change what the default "shut down" action is. When XBMC is started from Gnome, that default action is just to exit XBMC - if it's running as standalone (which mine is), the default action is to power down the system.

Remember to follow the already posted guide on how to give XBMC's account the proper permissions to actually shut down the system - else it won't work.
ASRock ION 330, Lucid Lynx, XBMC Dharma (beta 2)
It should be possible to alter the boot sequence to launch Gnome after XBMC exits, with some tinkering. That is, without running them in parallel. You'd have to modify some of the startup scripts though.
i am a relatively new to ubuntu and xbmc so this might be a stupid question - i faced a roadblock while playing around with my setup - i wanted xbmc to start automatically whenever i switched on my computer and if i shut down xbmc then my computer should shut down - so i set xbmc as the default session instead of gnome and my install of ubuntu has only one user account - my account which is set to automatically login with session xbmc - how do i set it back to gnome - i have more config to do and cannot access gnome at all - is there a way to not shut down completely but go back to the ubuntu login page so i can log in to a gnome session and change things after that

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shut-down XBMC/Ubuntu0