[Live] Acer Aspire Revo 1600 USB Wireless Adapter
I just had a very frustrating night, and will reach out here hopefully for some help. Yesterday I was running XBMC 9.11 beta 2 (pretty sure on an Acer Aspire Revo 1600 with a Buffalo WLI-UC-GN USB wireless adapter. Everything worked fine and following this thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=468527&postcount=7

I was able to get my internet connection up and running on the usb dongle in about 10 mins. There was another thread that helped me out as well but I fear it was not saved after the lightning strike. Well....like an idiot I felt it was time to update to the release canidate of 9.11. After the install which went smooth except for the not being able to setup a network connection, I return to the cmd prompt and refollow the thread above. Its seems XBMC does not want to detect my wlan0. Previously it detected it as soon as I plugged it in. Is my version of XBMC missing something that was in a beta?

when i type in sudo ifconfig wlan0 up i get back wlan0: error fetching interace information: Device not found.

when i type in lsusb it does see usb wireless adapter.

Suggestions? Thank you.
23 views.....anyone every have this issue. Suggestions?
Since it can't find the device at all, it's a kernel problem.

A quick search in the ubuntu kernel bugtracker confirms this and provides a solution.

This will most likely be fixed in the coming kernel versions.

If you're lucky this might work right away:
Code:
modprobe -r rt3070sta
modprobe rt3070sta vendor=0x0411 product=0x015d
Then try to bring up the interface again.
I tried the quick fix and XBMC told me that "FATAL: error inserting rt3070sta (/lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/rt3070/rt3070sta.ko): operation not permitted"

So i took a look at the links from the post above. It looks like there are two solutions possible. In theory I understand what these do but I do not know how to execute them.

1.First solution:
Download RT3070USB(RT307x) from http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2
This exists in staging, but we need to patch it. These instructions are based on the version: RT3070_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.1_20100208
Then:
tar -xvf RT3070_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.1_20100208.tar.bz2
cd RT3070_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.1_20100208
vi common/rtusb_io.c # remove the DBGPRINT(RT_DEBUG_OFF, ("#\n")); line
vi os/linux/usb_main_dev.c #add MODULE_LICENSE("GPL"); to the very top
vi common/rtusb_dev_id.c #add {USB_DEVICE(0x0411,0x015d)}, /* Buffalo Airstation WLI-UC-GN */ to the list
cp RT2870STA.dat RT3070STA.dat
sudo make
sudo make install
sudo cp os/linux/rt3070sta.ko /lib/modules/2.6.31-20-generic/kernel/drivers/staging/rt3070/rt3070sta.ko
sudo modprobe rt3070sta

Not sure how to point xbmc to the location of the bz2 file or where to insert the "Then:".

Second Solution:
I took a different approach. I did:
I cloned the kernel being used in lucid lynx:
git clone git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-lucid.git
cd ubuntu-lucid
vi drivers/staging/rt2870/2870_main_dev.c
# add { USB_DEVICE(0x0411, 0x015D) }, /* Buffalo Airstation NFiniti WLI-UC-GN */ to the list of drivers
AUTOBUILD=1 fakeroot debian/rules clean binary-debs
cd ..
dpkg -i sudo dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.32-17-generic_2.6.32-17.27_i386.deb linux-headers-2.6.32-17-generic_2.6.32-17.27_i386.deb
And that fixed the problem.

This solution seems possible to since it was confirmed in linux package 2.6.32-17.27 that the wireless adapter knows works. It was part of a bug fix.

SO.....if anyone knows how to execute any of these two solutions I will test them out on a my Acer.

Furthermore i tried this command later and now XBMC does not load. It will still let me ctlr-alt-f1.

sudo apt-get linux-backports-modules-karmic

its installed linux packge 2.6.31-20 generic and know xbmc gives me a white box when it loads that is so small on my screen I cant read it. Anyway I am going to wipe and reinstall off a CD to get back to start. Thanks again for any help.
So after trying to update the linux kernel and successfully getting it to 2.6.32, XBMC still doesnt not recognize my Buffalo WLI-UC-GN USB wireless adapter. At this point does anyone have a good USB adapter that they know works on the current stable release of XBMC Live 9.11 or the XBMCFreak live CD v13.

Btw if anyone needs the directions to update linux and then update the NVIDIA drivers try this:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61677&page=4
I have the exact same problem but I'm trying to use a Netgear USB dongle, Model WN111. Has anyone found any solution or workaround? I really don't want to have to run Cat5 to my living room...

Thanks,
Chris
If indeed your card uses that module I can tell you it works fine in any linux distro if you compile it correctly. Search the ubuntu fourms for instructions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Live] Acer Aspire Revo 1600 USB Wireless Adapter0