need help deciding if i should got Linux route or Win 7
So i just put together a system w/ the following specs:

Core 2 duo e6300 cpu
2gb ddr3 1066
DFI G41-T33b (Intel G41 and Realtek ALC888 audio w/ HDMI/spdif out)
Nvidia 8400 GS (G98)
70gb WD Raptor
MCE remote

I am hooking up video to my tv via HDMI (DVI -> HDMI adapter from the 8400), and sound to my receiver via spdif (coax).

Im mostly looking to play hi-def MP4 movie files (H264 w/ multi channel audio), but also watch TV/anime shows in AVI/MKV w/ 2 channel audio. DVD/BR not a concern since i use the 360/PS3 for those.

So idealy i would like to have the video decoding GPU assisted, multi channel audio passed through to the receiver, if possible would like to have 2 channel audio converted to DDL but thinking i may need a new sound card for this.

So my problem is this. i currently installed Win 7 w/ XBMC build 29443 w/ DS player. im still trying to configure things to get what i want and reading through lots of threads on the subject. On the other hand, ive been debating installing ubuntu for the VDPAU ability, however i havent been able to find much about doing spdif passthrough. My experience w/ ubuntu is pretty minimal but im pretty good at following directions and picking things up so its not too offputting for me. Just wanted to get an idea of which would be the be solution for my setup and needs.

thanks
The next version of XBMC supports hardware acceleration on Windows 7. You can try the development build 28256 from http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/ to see how well it works.

With the next version there will be no significant difference between the OS versions of XBMC so just use whatever operating system you feel happy with.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:You can try the development build 28256 from http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/ to see how well it works.

Even newer builds are available here.

XBMC for Windows 7 does 1080p video just fine on the hardware in my signature, plus I can do Hulu desktop (with the Flash 10.1 beta drivers for hardware decoding), Boxee, and Windows Media Center. I'm playing around with a launcher/HUD to have them all available by a press of a button on my remote...

I have W7 on a hdd, and XBMCFreak installed to a usb drive which I keep plugged into headers on my mobo. I choose whether to run Live or W7 by pushing F10 at boot and choosing the boot device.

NS
The developers have asked that people not use builds later than the last on mirrors.xbmc.org until the merge is completed. It's a free world, so use the later builds if you want, but please don't complain here about any problems with them.

JR
Alternatively try the xbmc live cd, it will do pretty much everything you ask out of the box including spdif passthrough.
I run XBMC on Windows 7 and like it. I've run it on the Xbox, Linux, Windows XP, Vista and now 7 and so far I like it best on 7. I just wish it was multi-threaded and used less clock cycles. Oh well.
'just wish it was multithreaded'?

we run about 10 threads at any time, and even more if you do stuff Wink
spiff Wrote:'just wish it was multithreaded'?

we run about 10 threads at any time, and even more if you do stuff Wink

Hm... I'm on my first cup of coffee... No offense intended.
none taken, just wanted to point out that we are very much multithreaded.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
need help deciding if i should got Linux route or Win 70