XBMC not displaying .srt subtitles. Please help, I am nearly deaf.
Sad 
Setup:
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, 2.6.32-21-generic x86_64
Manually built SVN revision: 29939
CPU: Core2 Duo Mobile T9300 (2.5 GHz)
Video: ATI Mobility Radeon HD3650

Issue:
.srt subtitle files are not being displayed by any of my XBMC builds. They are, however, being displayed in Movie Player, VLC, etc.

I have three builds:
Windows 7 (Desktop) - XBMC 9.11 R26017
Lucid (Laptop - mostly used for testing) - SVN 29939
Jaunty (Primary display version - my HTPC) - XBMC 9.11 R26018

None of these builds will ever display .srt subtitles. They will all display embedded subtitles. I've tried all my external subtitle files in Movie Player and VLC (VLC was tested on Windows and Linux), and all my external subs work.

I've tried using OpenSubtitles_OSD (v1.5 and v1.52) and downloading subs while in a movie, and that doesn't work either.

The subs are always named exactly the same as the video file (with the obvious exception of the file extension).

Debug xbmc.log
http://pastebin.com/d9wpnZhC (This log is from my Lucid laptop (test machine))

Please, someone, help me figure this out. I am nearly deaf and cannot watch a movie without subtitles.
When playing a video, press m, go to audio and subtitle settings and see if you can select a subtitle there.
bobo1on1 Wrote:When playing a video, press m, go to audio and subtitle settings and see if you can select a subtitle there.

Yes, I can select the subtitles, but they still don't display (I should have mentioned that I've already tried this dozens of times with dozens of different .srt files).

I've tried .srt files from OpenSubtitles.org and .srt files I've ripped myself.
I'm assuming you also turned on "enable subtitles" there?
bobo1on1 Wrote:I'm assuming you also turned on "enable subtitles" there?

Naturally.
a stupid suggestion maybe, but could it be that your subtitles are rendered off the bottom of the screen.

can you check your video calibration (ie overscan, etc)
When you goto the Video calibration for XBMC, there is a line (I think the 3rd time you select) that denotes subtitles. As neil mentioned, make sure that is visible. After calibrating the two corners (top left and bottom right) make sure you see a horizontal line. If not, push up until you see it.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Yes, the subtitle horizontal line is visible near the bottom of the screen in the video calibration, which makes sense, because all my embedded subs (like those I leave in a DVD rip (I rip my DVDs to .ISO)) seem to work fine.
Sorry, tslayer, the only reason I posted there was because I realized this isn't an issue specific to Linux, so I posted to the general forum.
So, I had thought my .mkvs were having the same problem, but I was wrong. I was just remembering that my .mkvs have a weird issue with IDX/SUB files (the captions stay on the screen until forced off or until a timeout occurs, see http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8589).

However, I just tested some.mkvs and they display .srt subtitles just fine.

Please don't tell me the solution is to re-rip my entire DVD library to .mkv...
File a trac ticket with all the necessary information (including a small sample).
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I assume you are trying to have this happen with .ISO DVD rips?

ISO and external (srt) subtitles are a known issue. They dont work as far as I know. YMMV
take a look at Makemkv. That will turn your dvd files into a .mkv (with no quality loss) and you can save your .srt alongside and it should work then.
neil.j1983 Wrote:take a look at Makemkv. That will turn your dvd files into a .mkv (with no quality loss) and you can save your .srt alongside and it should work then.

McKeegan Wrote:Please don't tell me the solution is to re-rip my entire DVD library to .mkv...
FishOil Wrote:I assume you are trying to have this happen with .ISO DVD rips?

ISO and external (srt) subtitles are a known issue. They dont work as far as I know. YMMV

Really? They worked on my original Xbox XBMC years ago...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC not displaying .srt subtitles. Please help, I am nearly deaf.0