Problems shutting down ATV after Ubuntu install
I'm having trouble shutting down the ATV after following the minimal Ubuntu install guide. If I select shut or reboot down from the XBMC menu XBMC shuts down but then a screen telling me about Xorg appears, it's pretty much a screen full of info about Xorg there doesn’t seem to be any errors except for the last line which is the same as the last line in Xorg.0.log. I also can’t shut down the system with "sudo reboot" unless I shutdown XBMC first, it just hangs on a blank screen. I'm wondering if it’s the same for everyone who’s done the minimal Ubuntu install or just me.
Xorg.0.log
xorg.conf
XBMC.log
I have the same issue, I need to SSH in to reboot or shutdown the ATV
kcarney Wrote:I have the same issue, I need to SSH in to reboot or shutdown the ATV

xbmclog so we can see which version you are running. sorry crystal ball is broke.
My logs are nearly identical to DV3B, same SVN version of xbmc (SVN:28256) and same xorg error (FPE "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing. )
kcarney Wrote:I have the same issue, I need to SSH in to reboot or shutdown the ATV
Good to hear its not just me. I'm not too concerned though, I don't think I'll be booting back into the old OS much anyway Smile
I'm a fan of flexibility, a colleague and I are working on a means of switching between OS's without USB. Maybe that'll be the next area to work on
kcarney Wrote:I'm a fan of flexibility, a colleague and I are working on a means of switching between OS's without USB. Maybe that'll be the next area to work on
I agree the ability to switch between the two OS with the click of a button would be nice. I did manage to set up the no USB method mention here http://wiki.github.com/Evinyatar/atvclie...x-bootmenu. It works fine on the ATV OS, but not on the linux/XBMC side. I have to select shutdown/reboot from the menu which gets me into the xorg screen then run the script manually to get back to the ATV OS. A bit of a heads up, in the line about "sudo cp com.apple.Boot.plist" you need to cd "/System/Library/CoreServices/" first. And also all the files mentioned in the next bit can be found here http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/...z&can=2&q=
kcarney Wrote:I'm a fan of flexibility, a colleague and I are working on a means of switching between OS's without USB. Maybe that'll be the next area to work on

Too bad there's not a darwin kext for kexec Smile Then you could easily flick between the two with zero pain.
davilla Wrote:Too bad there's not a darwin kext for kexec Smile Then you could easily flick between the two with zero pain.
You’re talking well above my limited knowledge of such things. I shall google.Smile
You guys are getting this issue with the blank screen because of ACPI perhaps? I got the blank orange screen but I decided to turn off splash in kernel arguments and while it didn't shut down itself it did tell me when it was safe to shutdown (all activity had finished)
DV3B Wrote:I agree the ability to switch between the two OS with the click of a button would be nice. I did manage to set up the no USB method mention here http://wiki.github.com/Evinyatar/atvclie...x-bootmenu. It works fine on the ATV OS, but not on the linux/XBMC side. I have to select shutdown/reboot from the menu which gets me into the xorg screen then run the script manually to get back to the ATV OS. A bit of a heads up, in the line about "sudo cp com.apple.Boot.plist" you need to cd "/System/Library/CoreServices/" first. And also all the files mentioned in the next bit can be found here http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/...z&can=2&q=

We got it working for both ATV OS and Linux after some modification of the scripts found here http://wiki.github.com/Evinyatar/atvclie...x-bootmenu

One of us will post the guide here in the coming days.

Anyway, to get back on topic I also figured out how to force a reboot from the GUI. it involves creating python script and linux sh script

Reboot.py
Code:
#
# This script calls an SH script
#

import xbmc, xbmcgui, os
#import os

dialog = xbmcgui.Dialog()
if dialog.yesno("Boot AppleTV", "Do you want to reboot into AppleTV OS?"):
    os.system("sh /home/xbmc/reboot.sh")

reboot.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh

PW=[b]xbmc[/b]

echo "$PW" | sudo -S $0
reboot -f

replace the password with that of yours. also, you'll need to add your "XBMC" user to the admin group (for both this shutdown plugin and the future switch to ATV OS plugin)

Code:
sudo usermod --group audio,video,fuse,plugdev,admin [b]USERNAME[/b]
kcarney Wrote:We got it working for both ATV OS and Linux after some modification of the scripts found here http://wiki.github.com/Evinyatar/atvclie...x-bootmenu
One of us will post the guide here in the coming days.
After looking at your reboot script I was able to get bootAppleTV.sh to work from the GUI by adding -f argument to reboot in the script, thanks. I did have a little trouble with your reboot script. It took about 5min to eventually reboot the OS and during this time I could hear the internal HDD making a lot of noise, did you experience the same thing?
It took maybe 2 minutes for it to reboot but I didn't hear any noise coming from the unit. It takes a similar amount of time when switching to linux from booted ATV OS
kcarney Wrote:It took maybe 2 minutes for it to reboot but I didn't hear any noise coming from the unit. It takes a similar amount of time when switching to linux from booted ATV OS
I figure out what was slowing down the reboot.sh script, I was missing if/fi at the start and finish of the script. Now I can boot into the ATV OS or just reboot the Linux install. Everything is working great it was all well worth the effort, I might actually sit down and watch something on XBMC instead of just playing with it.Smile
You can get rid of that password stuff by updating your /etc/sudoers file with the visudo(8) command and adding these lines:

Code:
Cmnd_Alias SHUTDOWN_CMDS = /sbin/shutdown, /sbin/reboot, /sbin/halt
xbmc localhost = (root) NOPASSWD: SHUTDOWN_CMDS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems shutting down ATV after Ubuntu install0